Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• out & about

Federal Judge: Sanitizing Movies is Illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmodo
    We Gizmodians like our gadgets shiny and our movies uncut, but lots of folks want to censor movies, cutting them up the way they see fit. But a federal judge in Colorado sided with the Directors Guild of America, saying no, third parties can't edit and then re-release movies with the naughty words removed. He chewed up and spit out prude-infested companies such as CleanFlicks, CleanFilms and Family Flix USA, telling them they can't sell or rent these "cleaned-up" movies any more.

Rightfully so. These movies already had one editor. That job was done by a trained professional. As a director, the whole idea of some hack editing my work and then re-selling it makes my skin crawl. If someone doesn't want to hear certain words or phrases, the movies containing such language are well-marked. They can simply choose not to watch those movies.

Justice is done. The judge said it's up to the moviemakers to decide what's in their content. CleanFlicks plans to appeal that ruling. To those who want to censor movies, cleaning them up for their own prudish devices, here's a choice phrase, specifically edited just for them: **** you. – Charlie White
    I dont see what the big deal is. Hollywood is getting on my nerves right now (the whole issue of not wanting to sell movies on iTunes is really pissing me off and I hope thier rental idea sucks big time and no one does it). They are so into themselves. Anyway I dont see anything wrong with buying a movie and letting a friend/company provide a service (that you cant do yourself) of editing that movie for curse words! Its just like the difference between explicit & edited songs!

What do you think?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

Re: Federal Judge: Sanitizing Movies is Illegal.

I don't understand really. If a movie contains content that bothers you, then don't waste your money watching it. Simple. I hate edited movies myself.

Instead of butchering other people's works, why don't these companies make films that fit their moral compass?
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Huh?

I never did like the idea... I'm against any kind of film editing.

Like it or not, filmmaking is an art. It should be up to the director, not individual censors, to decide what's in the film. If they edit a movie down, that's their choice.
    -Tim

• out & about

So you guys dont ever buy an edited song? and if you dont i assume you feel the same way about edited songs? so they shouldnt play edited songs on the radio? if songs werent edited wed pretty much only be listening to oldies or classical music on the radio. how is bleeping an f- word in a movie any different than bleeping the f- word in a song (or on this website)?

when it comes to editing a movie im not talking about editing it because you think its not good but maybe a movie is made really well but it says the f word a million times. why couldnt I or anyone edit those words out (if i didnt want to hear it)?

Personally I dont like edited films. I want to see what the director thought was the best film he could make. But I think others should have the ability to watch an edited version of a movie just like they have the option to hear an edited version of a song.

Currently Hollywood doesnt provide edited content for thier movies (i think it would be nice if they did). so if i buy a movie why shouldnt i be able to edit out offensive content?

WplusK.com

• Banned User

The question here is this... What about editing for TV broadcast? Who does that?

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    The question here is this... What about editing for TV broadcast? Who does that?
    Exactly...

WplusK.com

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup
    when it comes to editing a movie im not talking about editing it because you think its not good but maybe a movie is made really well but it says the f word a million times. why couldnt I or anyone edit those words out (if i didnt want to hear it)?
    But...why watch it at all if the f word offends your sensibilites and the film contains it a million times? I was told repeatedly that The Passion of the Christ was a good film that I should see. I didn't see it because I knew I'd have a hard time watching it because of the graphic violence. I don't suspect watching a sanitized version of this film would have been quite the same.

And as far as songs, I rarely listen to the radio anymore and don't listen to ones that contain lyrics that offend me.

Should we start painting clothing on paintings with nudity?
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Should we start painting clothing on paintings with nudity?
    If you buy a copy or print of a nude painting couldnt you paint clothes on it if you wanted to?

WplusK.com

If you buy a copy or print of a nude painting couldnt you paint clothes on it if you wanted to?
    I'm confused. What does that have to do with what the courts said? Didn't they say that 3rd parties couldn't do this as a business? It didn't mention what individuals did....did it?

Is there a link to the article?
    Amanda

• out & about

I'm confused. What does that have to do with what the courts said? Didn't they say that 3rd parties couldn't do this as a business? It didn't mention what individuals did....did it?
    Ok... so what if im not a good painter and i paid my friend to paint clothes on nude painting, that i bought, for me?

Is there a link to the article?
    the link to the article is in the first post. Oh wait... no theres not. My bad. Am I allowed to post a link?
    Just go to www.gizmodo.com
    Last edited by WRDup; 07-26-2006 at 01:00 PM.

WplusK.com

• Circle of Ancients

This is TOTALLY different than editing a song for the radio or a movie for TV.

In order to play a movie or song on TV or Radio you have to meet "Broadcast Standards" set by the FCC. So if you want your movie to be seen on TV or your song to be played on the radio you have to edit the song. Period.

This was people taking the movies, editing out what they deemed "innapropriate" and then selling them to other people who wanted the edited movies.

If you don't want to watch a movie because you find it offensive then don't watch it period.

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    This was people taking the movies, editing out what they deemed "innapropriate" and then selling them to other people who wanted the edited movies.

If you don't want to watch a movie because you find it offensive then don't watch it period.
    Just like the FCC!

Why not sell movies that have been edited for TV?

And if movies studios are so bent that people are editing out content why do they show their precious art work (thats been ruined) on TV? Heaven forbid someone might think they suck as film makers when a curse word is voiced over! What a world...

Better yet. I can Tivo a movie I dont own, thats been edited for TV. So now I have a bootleged copy of a "ruined" movie that I didnt pay for. Thats a Double-whammy (Mitch Hedburg).

Then what if my friend was the one who asked me to Tivo the movie cause he was gonna be at chirch when it aired so I burned it onto a DVD for him and he paid me for my trouble and the costof the DVD?

Im just saying that whether or not you fundamentally believe in edited movies (ie. for your own personal viewing pleasure) I dont think there is any thing wrong with wanting one and being able to provide someone with it.

WplusK.com

• done

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    It's supervised by the studio. Depending on the clout of the director, some directors have the right to supervise the editing. Mostly, it's the studio's call, as owner of the property. So the edited versions that are shown on TV or on airplanes are approved versions.

If you want to watch a movie that has a lot of swearing and you hate hearing swearing, you have two choices - you can watch the movie and deal with hearing the swearing or you can choose not to watch the movie. Oh, third choice, or you can wait until it's shown on TV, and the swearing is edited out. Just because you want something doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

I'm against this sort of thing just as much as I'm against colorizing black and white films, but that's a whole different discussion.

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Just like the FCC!

Why not sell movies that have been edited for TV?

And if movies studios are so bent that people are editing out content why do they show their precious art work (thats been ruined) on TV? Heaven forbid someone might think they suck as film makers when a curse word is voiced over! What a world...

Better yet. I can Tivo a movie I dont own, thats been edited for TV. So now I have a bootleged copy of a "ruined" movie that I didnt pay for. Thats a Double-whammy (Mitch Hedburg).

Then what if my friend was the one who asked me to Tivo the movie cause he was gonna be at chirch when it aired so I burned it onto a DVD for him and he paid me for my trouble and the costof the DVD?

Im just saying that whether or not you fundamentally believe in edited movies (ie. for your own personal viewing pleasure) I dont think there is any thing wrong with wanting one and being able to provide someone with it.
    As has been indicated before, thie difference here is that editing for TV and what these companies are doing is that the studio oversees the former process but not that latter. You're violating their copyright by doing so (let's not get into a discussion of mp3s and the RIAA here, though), and you're doing it without the involvement or even the awareness of the film's creators.

While some people may not see anything wrong with sanitizing movies, it's not what the film creators wanted. And if you think broadcast versions of films never bother the filmmakers, listen to the commentary tracks of Simpsons episodes sometimes. They do a lot of complaining about the edits made to the episodes when they air in syndication.
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Sort of off-topic, but...

(the whole issue of not wanting to sell movies on iTunes is really pissing me off and I hope thier rental idea sucks big time and no one does it).
    Why would you want to download 480x360 H264 files of movies anyway? How is that better than Netflix, which I can watch on my HDTV with full detail?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast