• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Julia Roberts & Walden Media to create 'American Girl' films

Julia Roberts Gets Dolled Up
    By Gina Serpe
    1 hour, 47 minutes ago
    Yahoo.news

Julia Roberts has just ingratiated herself to pretween girls the world over.

The erstwhile Pretty Woman has teamed up with the makers of the enduringly popular American Girl Collection dolls and is set to bring a series of live-action films featuring the characters to the big screen.

The Oscar winner's production company, Red Om Films--so titled, albeit backwards, after her married name--has teamed up with Walden Media and Goldsmith-Thomas Productions to produce the film, a get that was six years in the making.

"When [we] pursued the rights to the American Girl franchise six years ago, we knew that the American Girls characters and their compelling stories would translate beautifully to film," Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas said.

The untitled first film will focus on Kit Kittredge, a girl growing up in Cincinnati in 1934, during the Great Depression.

"We found a terrific partner to bring Kit's stories to life," said American Girl president Ellen Brothers.

For those who don't know or have never been an eight-year-old girl, the American Girl dolls are already a franchise. The original collection comprised eight dolls each set in a specific historical period in U.S. history and has a series of books written about their fictional adventures. Through the books--and the countless readily-available accoutrements--the readers learn universal life lessons as well as some history. Each doll sells for $87.

Kit, who, having been introduced in 2000, is one of the newest additions to the stable of characters.

Since Mattel acquired the company, the toy giant has expanded the franchise to include a contemporary line of dolls and a series of plush baby dolls. The company also publishes American Girl magazine and runs the American Girl Place stores.

While the untitled American Girl film marks the dolls' big-screen debut, Roberts has previously teamed with Walden Media and Goldsmith-Thomas Productions for a trio of made-for-TV movies based on the characters.

In 2004, they released their first TV movie, Samantha: An American Girl Holiday, set in the Victorian era of 1904. The following year, they covered the colonial saga with Felicity: An American Girl Adventure, and their most recent effort, the WWII-set Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front, is set to premiere on the Disney Channel this fall.

The film is the latest kid-friendly project on Roberts' plate. Making sure that Phinnaeus and Hazel have plenty to watch, Roberts has given voice to the titular spider in the big-screen adaptation of Charlotte's Web, due out in December, and can be heard in the CGI flick The Ant Bully, opening Friday.

While no distribution deal has been set for the American Girl movie, production is expected to kick off next year.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060726/en_movies_eo/19597
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• out & about

Re: Julia Roberts & Walden Media to create 'American Girl' films

Sweet. I like Julia.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Senior Minion

I looooooved the tv movies, well-made, very sweet, so i'm excited for this to come to the big screen.
    I was wondering if they were going to make another tv movie, seeing as how they aired on WB which is now CW, but I guess I have my answer now, cool, I can't wait to see Molly's movie. Wonder when it'll air?
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Directly directed

I loved the tv movies too but I would rather them do one on Kirsten or Addy before Kit.

•   
    • So fetch

I can't wait for the Molly movie! Santa gave me Molly when I was in 2nd grade. Dang, that was 18 years ago!

• decorating

I can't wait! I still have my Kirsten doll.
    The American Girl dolls are such a good thing.l

• Senior Minion

My mom got me the Samantha doll 2 years ago for Christmas because when I was little, I had always wanted one, but never got it, and she remembered how badly I wanted one when we heard about the movies, so she got it for me. Shocked the heck out of me.
    I agree that they should cover some of the earlier girls before the newer ones, but maybe Kirsten will be the next movie, after Molly.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • So fetch

^^
    My parents gave me Josefina for my 21st birthday. When I was 8 or 9 I wrote a letter to the Pleasant Company asking them to make a doll that looked like me (hispanic). They saw the doll and it brought up that memory.

• Super saucy pixie!

I can't wait for the Molly movie! Molly and Samantha were my favorites growing up. They were the two dolls that I had. I collected when there were only 3 dolls so I'm not familiar much with the newer dolls. However, I love the 1930s, so I'd definitely go in for a Kit movie!
    Can't wait till the holidays to check out Molly!