Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney gives traditional animation another shot - Hollywood Reporter, 7/27/06

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...REASURE-DC.XML

Walt Disney Studios has reunited with the directors of its box office disaster "Treasure Planet" as part of a plan to get back into the decidedly unfashionable business of traditional animation.

The new project, "Frog Princess," will put a female spin on the classic fairy tale, according to sources.

It will be overseen by John Musker and Ron Clements, who left the studio shortly after "Treasure Planet" bombed at the end of 2002, grossing just $38 million domestically.

In their heyday at Disney, they demonstrated their ability to spin a popular tale around a female protagonist with 1989's "The Little Mermaid." They also worked on such traditionally animated Disney musicals as "Aladdin" and "Hercules."

But traditional animation no longer draws the crowd, thanks in part the innovative computer-animation purveyed by Pixar Animation Studios, which Disney now owns. Pixar principals Ed Catmull and John Lasseter, who now run Disney's feature animation operations, are interested in exploring Disney's pioneering 2-D tradition.

One of Lasseter's first initiatives following Disney's acquisition of Pixar this year was to woo Musker and Clements back into the fold.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Re: Disney gives traditional animation another shot - Hollywood Reporter, 7/27/06

Please don't let it suck!

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Disney gives traditional animation another shot - Hollywood Reporter, 7/27/06

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Please don't let it suck!
    I'm begging too.
    I'd rather them just not go back to it if they let it suck.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

so... who's the composer?? and singers... classic animation succeeded because of many elements. including memorable songs...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Its the story, silly!

The animation is not what people go to see... The genius of John Lasseter is in the story his people tell. Look at each of the hits... Toy Story and Nemo are compelling stories that ENTERTAIN. The stories are entertaining. All the details in the story are what make people like the film. Music and character voices help to propel the story. Music and character voices are like putting a turbo on the story. They help the audience to suspend belief and to have empathy for the characters.

Personally, I am getting tired of the high gloss computer animation.

I believe the story is critical for for live action too!

Look at the flops. The stories were simple. The character voices were flat. They did not help the audience "get into" the story the film was trying to tell. Was there anything memorable ?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    so... who's the composer?? and singers... classic animation succeeded because of many elements. including memorable songs...
    Alan Menken signs multi-picture Disney deal - Walt Disney Pictures March 1, 2006
    Alan Menken Signs Multi-Picture Disney Deal
    Source: The Walt Disney Studios
    March 1, 2006

Eight-time Academy Award®-winning composer Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame) has signed a non-exclusive, multi-picture deal with Walt Disney/Touchstone Pictures to score non-animated films and compose for live-action projects, it was announced today by Mitchell Leib, President of music and soundtracks for Walt Disney Pictures & Television/Buena Vista Music Group.

Under the terms of this new arrangement, Menken is expanding his role from within other divisions of The Walt Disney Company. For Disney Theatrical Productions, he is currently in preproduction on the stage version of "The Little Mermaid." Menken is also developing a new animated musical, The Frog Princess for Walt Disney Feature Animation. For Disney Creative Entertainment, he is creating a stage musical of "The Snow Queen" set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea with Amon Miyamoto directing and John Weidman as the bookwriter and Glen Slater the lyricist. He is also writing music for a Sinbad attraction in Japan for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Menken is best known for his hit animated musicals including The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Beauty and the Beast as well as the stage version on the latter which has the distinction of being the longest running American musical. Menken is also known for the stage and film version of Little Shop of Horrors.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/02/11302.php
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting Since 1992

Do you guys hear that? Choirs of freaking angles are singing HALLELUJIA!!!!!!! Yes, I am happy about this, darn it! VERY HAPPY. I, personally, am SICK of digital animation and it is about time they busted out and dusted off the light table and blue pencils! WOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Now all we need is Glen Keene to do supervising animation on the main character (a la The Little Mermaid &/or Beauty and the Beast) and we have a blockbuster in the making.......I HOPE.

• Waiting Since 1992

Re: Its the story, silly!

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft
    The animation is not what people go to see... The genius of John Lasseter is in the story his people tell. Look at each of the hits... Toy Story and Nemo are compelling stories that ENTERTAIN. The stories are entertaining. All the details in the story are what make people like the film. Music and character voices help to propel the story. Music and character voices are like putting a turbo on the story. They help the audience to suspend belief and to have empathy for the characters.

Personally, I am getting tired of the high gloss computer animation.

I believe the story is critical for for live action too!

Look at the flops. The stories were simple. The character voices were flat. They did not help the audience "get into" the story the film was trying to tell. Was there anything memorable ?
    I agree with everything you said except that people don't go to the movies just to see the animation. I would challenge and say that CHILDREN may not go just to see the animation, but wow, I know many adults that are thrilled with watching a beautifully done piece of artwork, like the old Disney classics, etc just because they love watching a well drawn piece of art. I mean, sure, the story has to be good, but if the 2-D animation is well crafted, that would get me to the theater asap. I think the draw of a movie has a lot to do with its "look". The story is what will keep people coming back for more. Just MHO, though.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

But traditional animation no longer draws the crowd, thanks in part the innovative computer-animation purveyed by Pixar Animation Studios, which Disney now owns. Pixar principals Ed Catmull and John Lasseter, who now run Disney's feature animation operations, are interested in exploring Disney's pioneering 2-D tradition.
    Really? So people flock to computer-animation just because . . . well . . . it looks so darn cool?

Doogal, anyone?

To paraphrase: It's the story, stupid.

Bravo for the return of 2D animation!

• Mousketeer

Hand Drawn vs Digital animation isn't an "either or" argument. Hand Drawn doesn't have to suceed and have Digital fail, both can exist.

Animators have been saying that for years. It just finally took someone with the creativity and clout of Lasseter to make the studio do something about it.

After watching Peter Pan with my 3 year old last night, I really understand the attaction to "traditional" animation. With the Disney classics you got the whole package, story plus amazing hand drawn animation. The whole hand drawn aspect is what makes these so amazing to me. While the Pixar films have good stories and are quite enjoyable, there seems to be something "magical" missing from a computer animated film for me. However I do agree with Yendorp that both can co-exist, I believe it is only if either one has the right animation and compelling story line that completes the whole package.

• Santa Barbara, CA

2D is dead? Spongebob is SUCH a FLOP. Does anyone cry out for him to be 3D? No one even cares. Avitar the Airbender is the top itunes video download.. in 2D.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Senior Minion

Excellent! Bring on 2d. I just hope the story is good.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

IMHO now that Michael Eisner and his strategic planners are gone plus now that all of the MBA's have been kicked out by Lassetter I think/hope it'll be great! If it's a good story with loveable characters etc. then I think it'll be great! That's the difference in Little Mermaid and say Treasure Planet.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast