• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney Mobile cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USA Today, 7/26/06

Disney Mobile family cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids

Your kids would love a cellphone. In exchange, they promise to clean their room and do their homework. You're happy to give them one — especially for safety reasons, provided they don't rack up excess text messaging and other charges.

But do youngsters want a phone letting you tightly control how many minutes they use — plus, who they call and when they call? Do they want a phone letting you track their location via GPS?

These are the main questions surrounding the recently launched Disney Mobile family cellphone service I've been testing with two LG DM-L200 handsets. While such location tracking and other features exist in other family-oriented cellphones, Disney is nicely putting the various elements together. Walt Disney may seem an unlikely wireless carrier, but Disney Mobile is no Mickey Mouse operation.
    Full Story: Disney Mobile family cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids

Wink Re: Disney Mobile cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USA Today, 7/26/06

Quote:
    But do youngsters want a phone letting you tightly control how many minutes they use — plus, who they call and when they call? Do they want a phone letting you track their location via GPS?

Hell No! We don't want restrictions. We don't want you knowing where we are at all times. How can we have any fun if you are tracking us? What do you think this is a police state?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Disney Mobile cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USA Today, 7/26/06

I think at a certain point, parental control gets to be "too much"

Any parent that NEEDS to track their child via GPS on their phone is either:
    - Seasoned in poor parenting
    - Too paranoid
    - Or has serious control issues.

I see no reason why children need to be "tracked." My mom NEVER had to worry about that with me, she raised me to where I checked in constantly with her if I needed to, and I never lied to her to get to go out and then went somewhere I shouldnt be.

I'm not saying my mom is perfect. But I'll be damned if she didn't raise me to have respect for her rules and guidelines, thus giving me the proper rules and guidelines to live my own life decently.

Why do parents need GPS on their children's cell phones? If this is necessary, it sounds to me that something is wrong with their parenting...

Also, tools like this allow parents to slack off and rely on technology like GPS to avoid having to control thier children with morals and respect.

[/end rant]

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Wink Re: Disney Mobile cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USA Today, 7/2

Quote Originally Posted by dahlia
    Quote:

Hell No! We don't want restrictions. We don't want you knowing where we are at all times. How can we have any fun if you are tracking us? What do you think this is a police state?
    Thats the toss... Disney is doing this, and if parents want to use their service they can, and if they want to use these features they can... One more thing thats helpfull about GPS on the phone, if you loose it.. you know where it is...

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Disney Mobile cellphone service helps parents keep track of kids - USA Today, 7/26/06

Kids don't come home when they say, they lie frequently about where they are and we now live in a different world where parents actually have something real to worry about. I can't imagine parents spending all of their time tracking their kids. If they don't call in after 3 hrs from when they said, then yes. and thats a good thing.

If you are a devious kid you swap phones with your friend's disney phone for a day so your folks track some other kid, that cures them from snooping.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney Mobile Makes Parental Appeal
    August 01, 2006
    By Todd Wasserman/Brandweek

BuderEngel handles the assignment.
    NEW YORK The phones are designed for kids, but the ads for Disney Mobile's new service are aimed at the parents who will foot the bills.

Disney is rolling out an inaugural TV campaign this week touting security features such as the Family Locator, which lets parents use their PC or phone to track their kids' movements. The work uses humor to relay the security message.

In one spot, a boy announces, "Mom, Dad—I just want to give you a heads up," and then lays out his itinerary of planned activities, including climbing a tree in a friend's yard, playing softball and loitering in a convenience store. He then hands out a printed version. A voiceover points out that in real life, this doesn't usually happen.

In another ad, an older brother takes time from mowing the lawn to boast about his new cell phone. He is interrupted mid-sentence when his younger sister's phone starts to ring. A voiceover then touts a call-control feature that lets parents decide when phones can be used.

The campaign, via BuderEngel and Friends in San Francisco, is aimed at affluent families who can spend a minimum of $60 a month for service and between $60-110 for phones for their 8- to 14-year-old kids. According to a Harris Interactive poll last year, 12 percent of 8- to 12-year-olds have phones, and 49 percent of 13- to 15-year-olds do as well.

Spending on the campaign was not disclosed, but the account was valued at $50 million when BuderEngel won it in March, according to the agency.

http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/ar..._id=1002915795
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still wants to be a cat!

I'm torn on this one....Like the features, but not sure if I need to know where Wolfette is every minute.....I trust her, but life happens and it isn't always good. Anyone actually have this system yet?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Mousketeer

Wolfy, you don't have to use the tracking all of the time, i've seen the commercials and you could get that idea.