• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Radio Disney Joins Disney-ABC TV Group - Billboard Radio Monitor, 7/31/06

Radio Disney Joins Disney-ABC TV Group

The Radio Disney Network will become part of the Disney-ABC Television Group and will be managed by Rich Ross, president, Disney Channel Worldwide. In addition, Jill Casagrande has been named senior VP and GM of the Radio Disney Network.

Ross will spearhead Radio Disney's overarching strategic direction and Casagrande, who transitions from senior VP of programming strategy of Disney Channel Worldwide, will manage day-to-day operations of the network.

Jean-Paul Colaco, who has been with Radio Disney since 1998, will transition to senior VP of business development.

Commenting on the addition of Radio Disney to the Disney-ABC Television Group Kids’ Business, Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney-ABC Television Group, said: “Radio Disney stands to benefit enormously from its integration into our portfolio of global kids’ business. I know Rich and the entire team will create one cohesive vision to provide Disney-quality entertainment to kids and families wherever they are and whenever they want it.”
    Full Story: Radio Disney Joins Disney-ABC TV Group

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Radio Disney Joins Disney-ABC TV Group - Billboard Radio Monitor, 7/31/06

Tim...I assume this is part and parcel of the recent sale of the ABC radio stations to Citadel Broadcasting...I've also been told that Disney will retain control of ESPN Radio, and their owned and operated ESPN Radio stations (such as KSPN 710 in Los Angeles) but I'm not sure of that.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Radio Disney Joins Disney-ABC TV Group - Billboard Radio Monitor, 7/31/06

It's related to the Citadel deal insofar as the move is consistent with Disney getting out of a low-growth broadcasting sector (ABC Radio) to focus on more lucrative properties--Disney did retain ESPN Radio and now has greater marketability with Radio Disney.

By integrating Radio Disney with Disney Channel, it creates a better synergy. It's much easier for Disney to cross-promote The Cheetah Girls or High School Musical if they can do it under one umbrella. It also consolidates Disney's ability to deliver content via the Web. Lost in the hubbub a few months ago over ABC streaming "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" on its website was the fact that Disney Channel and Radio Disney were doing the same with their content--and Radio Disney has far greater potential on the Internet than it does as a broadcast network.

This was a solid move by Disney and one more reason they'll continue to dominate the tween market.
    Last edited by disneytim; 08-01-2006 at 06:07 AM.