Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Heath Ledger is The Joker

"Batman" Goes for "Brokeback"
    By Natalie Finn 27 minutes ago
    yahoo news

Batman has a new adversary from Down Under.

Warner Bros. confirmed Monday that Heath Ledger will be playing The Joker in The Dark Knight, the next installment of the rejuvenated Batman franchise.

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," director Christopher Nolan, who has also signed up for the sequel, said in a statement. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

So obviously Bale is back on board as the man in heavily armored tights.

Ledger, 27, was nominated for an Oscar this year for his role in Brokeback Mountain and he also scored an invite earlier this month to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.

Production is set to being on The Dark Knight early next year--the better to make Gotham City look eerily chilly and desolate--making the sixth Caped Crusader film a prime candidate for a summer 2008 release.

"Chris' unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight," Jeff Robinov, president of production at Warner Bros. Pictures, said. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

The star-studded Batman Begins was also a formidable force at the box office last year, taking in more than $370 million worldwide.

So let the hype surrounding the next addition to the series begin--the last time Batman faced off against the Joker, it was 1989 and Michael Keaton was wearing the mask and Jack Nicholson was wearing the makeup. We can't wait to see how the next generation plays out.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060801/en_movies_eo/19646
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• We're number one!

Re: Heath Ledger is The Joker

I don't know how I feel about this. He's a great actor, but I just can't see him as the joker. I guess we'll find out when the movie is released which I will make sure to see since I loved Batman Begins.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Why? I hate him.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Banned User

Ugh, the masculine version of Lindsay Lohan as the Joker? Blech... For a while Paul Bettany's name was being bantered around through the rumor mill. Now that would have been great casting, and his Joker would have been so intriguing and nuanced. I can really see him giving The Joker the dark and evil portrayel he deserves. But Ledger? Holy Lame-O Batman! This is gonna sucko!

• Former Epcot CM

Formidable? Hardly. He's a weed.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Blech!! Not looking forward to 2 hours of Joker rubing hands.

• e komo mai

He's just... so... bland to be the joker... I could see Jake as a young Joker before Heath...

Ewan MacGregor would have been a better choice...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Holy pile of manure, Batman...you've got to be joking! Since when is the perineal talent, Jack Nicholson not of the current generation. After having "danced with the devil in the pale monlight" in Tim Burton's legendary caped crusader film series, I view one trick poney Heath Ledger as unfit to challenge the clown master, Nicholson's performance. Jack could easily reprise his role...what a waste...

Watched "Batman Begins", with Christian Bale in the title role, simply because I was happy to see the film franchise continue. While the effects were great, I really wasn't impressed with Bale's one demensional portrayal and "hot cha cha cha cha" Jimmy Durante / Howard Cosell voice. Perhaps they are targeting a new generation audience for "Dark Knight" as well, i.e. 4 and 5 year olds.

Hell, Heath can't come close to filling Cesar Romero's shoes either. If iconic celuloid legends Romero and Nicholson are considered by some critics to be "camp", then I'd say Heath appears as though he "just got off the bus". One thing that Hollywood politics cannot manufacture is a star's box office longevity.

With all due respect to Michael Caine "Alfed", I think I'll Bale on this film.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-01-2006 at 08:23 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Ugh ... not impressed.

Then again when we heard Toby Maquires name for Spiderman nobody was impressed either ... and that turned out okay.

I agree though that Paul Betany would have been a GREAT choice.

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    Ugh, the masculine version of Lindsay Lohan as the Joker? Blech... For a while Paul Bettany's name was being bantered around through the rumor mill. Now that would have been great casting, and his Joker would have been so intriguing and nuanced. I can really see him giving The Joker the dark and evil portrayel he deserves. But Ledger? Holy Lame-O Batman! This is gonna sucko!
    I remember hearing Paul Bettany was in the running, and I was really hoping they would cast him. He's one of my favorite actors and he would of been awesome as the joker. Especially after watching how creepy he was in the DaVinci Code I thought he would of been great for the part.

I'm really dreading Ledger in the role.

• For You!

Doesn't sound like a good choice to me either - but, we'll have to see (maybe when it comes out on video) - I too think Jack Nicholson will be hard to top.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Iron-Clad Allie

[quote=sir clinksalot]Ugh ... not impressed.

Then again when we heard Toby Maquires name for Spiderman nobody was impressed either ... and that turned out okay.

Toby Maquire is certainly one of the greatest superhero genre actors around. Maube you guys are on to something with Davinci Code's Paul Bettany. If Dark Knight 0ombs, perhaps Ron Howard can be persuaded to start a new Batman movie series, and direct them.

• Mexihick, y'all

Great. Just great. I didn't think it could get worse than Maguire. Why are we casting wussy boys?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Great. Just great. I didn't think it could get worse than Maguire. Why are we casting wussy boys?
    Are wussy boys a cut above or below girly men?

• Minion

Let's just say that there's a lot of room to leave me impressed...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast