• It's all nonsense

MSN Article on Eisner

http://slate.msn.com/id/2116794/?GT1=6334

Has anyone else seen this? Seems like they are making Eisner out to be a savior or something.

What are your thoughts??

(I coudln't find this posted anywhere but if it's a dup thread, delete it please)

^^^The story is very accurate, BUT it overlooks all of the bad things that he has done in the last decade to undo much of the great things he did in the decade before.

It's not surprsing that this story is out. I would bet Eisner's minions will do whatever they can to place stories that show Eisner in the best possible light before he rides off into the sunset with his billion-plus.

• Banned User

MSN is climbing aboard a sinking ship

• It's all nonsense

I think it's sad that MSN would base it's opinion of a successful CEO soley on how much profit they were able to get. They are as bad as the pencil pushers that let DL go into a state of distress in the late 90's.
    They talk about how Eisner revolutionized Disney video by bringing all these titles to video. To me, this is what has helped to cheapen the Disney name. The fact that Disney only had a limited number of feature films before Eisner shouldn't be a negative, that is what has helped to keep Disney's movies and shows special.

• Former Epcot CM

Eisner DID save The Walt Disney Company, no matter how much trouble he has caused in recent years. I'm quite sure Disneyland and Walt Disney World would be quite different - I suppose the only real Disney park in the world would be Tokyo Disneyland, which would continue to be properly funded. He gave us a renaissance of Disney animation in the early 90s, rejuvenated the parks (I know he sent them right back down again but he brought them up in the first place!), and without Eisner, there would be no Disney-MGM Studios, no Disney's Animal Kingdom, no Disneyland Paris.

A lot of the Disney experience today was created under the guidance of Michael Eisner. I completely accept that Eisner has nearly ruined the company barely beyond repair, but he did take it to places that it would never have been - thanks to corporate raiders splitting and selling off different parts of the company. Without Eisner, the Walt Disney name would have been ruined.

And no, I ain't employed by Disney. But I am glad to see him leave.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Look.....at......me!

I agree Eisner saved the company. It's very true that Disney would not be where it is today without Eisner in the first 10 years...but it's also true that Disney would be much better off if Eisner had left sooner (assuming the person who tookover for him did a better job...and how hard would that be to do? lol) I find it very disturbing that they painted such a one-sided picture of him as a savior. They mentioned ESPN and how much the company benefitted from that acquisition, which is true...but completely left out the acquisition of ABC Family and how much that hurt the company. This article is definately spin aimed at glorifying a man who no longer deserves that much praise.

I totally agree...
    He DID save the company, but he also did some pretty bad damage...
    Hopefully things are getting back on track.....

•   
    • Minion

Judging from the performance of the company, I would submit it was Frank Wells and Katsenberg that saved the company... Eisner can't take the credit judging from the last 8 years...
    Check out my other blog:

• Former Epcot CM

OK, fair point. Well taken. But I would doubt the company would have had it's 'renaissance' of sorts if it hadn't of been for Eisner. Well and Katzenberg were the creative brains, the new Walts, whereas Eisner was the new Roy (Oliver) - the financial planner, making all the right decisions. I think I have seen this mentioned on MiceChat before - the current standard that we see in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts today is due to the massive loss Eisner made on Disneyland Paris, which he poured his heart and soul (not to mention his wallet) into - and got nothing out of it. So he became very careful with the Studios, DAK and DCA. I would say the early 90s animation boost started with the Little Mermaid and ended with Pocahontus.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    OK, fair point. Well taken. But I would doubt the company would have had it's 'renaissance' of sorts if it hadn't of been for Eisner. Well and Katzenberg were the creative brains, the new Walts, whereas Eisner was the new Roy (Oliver) - the financial planner, making all the right decisions. I think I have seen this mentioned on MiceChat before - the current standard that we see in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts today is due to the massive loss Eisner made on Disneyland Paris, which he poured his heart and soul (not to mention his wallet) into - and got nothing out of it. So he became very careful with the Studios, DAK and DCA. I would say the early 90s animation boost started with the Little Mermaid and ended with Pocahontus.

With all due respect, I'll disagree on one thing. The Disneyland Paris financial situation is not the Imagineers fault for being creative. They built WAY to many hotels when it opened for the location/being close to Paris, etc. Frank originally advised AGAINST building so many hotels, but guess who insisted on building so many??? (I can give you a hint, his name is the topic of this thread) Michael wanted to start off with all of those hotels, and Frank advised against it, but Michael insisted. DL Paris is a heavily visited theme park. (The Magic Kingdom) The financial troubles have come from not being able to fill up all of those hotels to justify/help pay the overhead. The easiest thing for Michael to do was to "blame" the Imagineers. Throughout his career, he has pretty much blamed others for mistakes he's made. DCA and DSP in my opinion, are parks that were built "on the cheap" for short-term profit, and not in the best interest of the company or the consumer. It was all so he could take home a big bonus, yet still "obsess" on showing Wall Street 20 percent growth.

• Where's my other cent?

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Judging from the performance of the company, I would submit it was Frank Wells and Katsenberg that saved the company... Eisner can't take the credit judging from the last 8 years...
    I don't think you can totally cut Eisner out of the equation during those early years. After all, he did surround himself with these people, and he also had a good eye for a script. However, he certainly doesn't deserve all of the credit because, as you said, look what happened when it was just him. I think he got so much of the praise because of his title, not because he was completely responsible.