Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: 'Little Miss Sunshine', don't miss it!

With out a doubt my favorite film of 2006.

• Minion

I finally watched this the other night. What a wonderful movie! Everyone in in it did such an amazing job. I watched it again last night with my teenage son, he loved it too.
    It is so real, so funny and heartwrenching at the same time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Miss Sunshine' shifts campaign into high gear
    VW buses employed to tubthump Fox Searchlight film

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    January 1, 2007

If you've got it, flaunt it. Or at least drive it around.

With awards season in full swing, Fox Searchlight took the Dec. 19 DVD release of "Little Miss Sunshine" to drive home the pic's kudos potential as well.

The specialty banner dispatched three VW buses -- copies of the pic's signature vehicle -- to tool around L.A. Dec. 15-Dec. 22.

Plastering blatant "For Your Consideration" on the buses might have been seen as being in poor taste, so instead of decaling the movie's name on the three vans, Searchlight decided on the variation "Little Best Picture," which appeared on all four sides of the buses.

Searchlight prexy Peter Rice -- who came up with the idea of using the vans -- ordered that the moniker be written backward on the front of the buses, so that drivers would see "Little Best Picture" in their rear-view mirrors.

Sometimes the three buses drove around together, sometimes not. They were spotted at shopping hot spots including the Grove and Hollywood & Highland. They crisscrossed L.A. from east to west, and trekked over the hill to the Valley.

One of the buses even hit the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.'s holiday party at the BevHills Hotel.
    "The VW bus is so iconic, it would be silly not to take advantage of it," one Fox Searchlighter says.
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1985&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    With out a doubt my favorite film of 2006.
    Same here.

Number two is Little Children (which is criminally under-distributed). Amazing movie!! Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson are super-star actors.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I heard it was like RV but funny! Can't wait to see it!
    Kinko that.

******* beauty pageants!

Pile into your own little yellow VW van and get a copy!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Tiny 'Sunshine' breaks through

The fun in dysfunctional: Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette, Steve Carell and Paul Dano.
    Fox Searchlight Pictures

By Scott Bowles and Luz Elena Avitia
    USA TODAY
    January 24, 2007

Nancy Utley remembers sitting in a theater at last year's Sundance Film Festival and thinking, "This is a little gem."

What the chief operating officer of Fox Searchlight didn't realize when her studio purchased Little Miss Sunshine was that the quirky road trip comedy starring Steve Carell, Toni Collette and Abigail Breslin would become not only a box-office success but also an awards powerhouse.

"We were just hoping to get it into theaters," she says, phoning from this year's Sundance festival. "This is nothing we saw coming."

A day after nabbing four Academy Award nominations best picture, original screenplay, supporting actor (Alan Arkin) and supporting actress (Abigail Breslin) Sunshine isn't so small anymore.

The $8 million story about a dysfunctional family racing to a beauty pageant has taken in $60 million in the USA. It was a surprise winner at the Producers Guild Awards, which are considered a canny barometer of the Oscar race. And many consider it the art-house favorite of the academy, much like Crash was when it took best picture last year.

But how did Sunshine get from sleeper summer hit to awards contender? It was a low-key marketing approach.

Instead of spending millions on "for your consideration" ads in movie trade publications, Fox spent most of its money mailing more than 100,000 copies of the DVD to critics, entertainment writers and awards voters.

"People don't want movies forced down their throat," Utley says. "They want to discover it. They don't want to be told what to think about it."

The key, of course, is having the goods, says Paul Dergarabedian of industry tracker Media By Numbers.

"It's one of those films that resonates because it's about family and relationships, and everyone can relate on some level," he says. "When a movie creates a bond between itself and the moviegoer, you want to tell people about it."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...-success_x.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

I'm sorry that we waited to see this movie. It is really underated. The cast was excellent. The dysfunctionality brings them togther so well. Loved it!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• World Traveler

I loved this movie. I hope more people see it now that it's nominated for an academy award.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

AFI Awards: LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
    Q&A TO FOLLOW SCREENING WITH DIRECTORS JONATHAN DAYTON AND VALERIE FARIS.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE tells the story of the Hoovers, one of the most endearingly fractured families ever seen on motion picture screens. Together, the motley six-member family treks from Albuquerque to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in Redondo Beach, California, to fulfill the deepest wish of 7-year-old Olive, an ordinary little girl with big dreams. Along the way the family must deal with crushed dreams, heartbreak, and a broken-down VW bus, leading up to the surreal Little Miss Sunshine competition itself. On their travels through this bizarrely funny landscape, the Hoovers learn to trust and support each other along the path of life, no matter what the challenge. Nominated for two Golden Globes and winner of four Critics’ Choice Awards, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE is one of the 10 AFI AWARDS 2006.

Rating R - for language, some sex and drug content
    Running Time 101 minutes
    Genre Comedy
    Director(s) Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris
    Cast Greg Kinnear, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Abigail Breslin, Alan Arkin

Release Date MONDAY FEBRUARY 5th

http://www.arclightcinemas.com/(ecjm...&CinemaID=1001

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Sunshine' steps into spotlight for Oscars

The cast of Little Miss Sunshine (Greg Kinnear, left, Steve Carell, Abigail Breslin and Alan Arkin) took home a SAG award for best ensemble, the acting union's highest honor. Is an Oscar next ?

By Chris Pizzello, AP

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

The Screen Actors Guild has never been seen as a great barometer of the best-picture Oscar race. This is the group, after all, that once gave its top film honors to The Birdcage.

But when SAG correctly picked Crash last year as best picture, pundits took notice of the guild's knack for gauging ensemble films. So its choice Sunday night of Little Miss Sunshine as best picture has to give a slight edge to the road-trip comedy in a race filled with ensemble movies — and a race considered up for grabs.

Sunday night's victory could be a crucial one on the road to the Oscars Feb. 25, when the film will compete with fellow SAG nominees Babel and The Departed, plus The Queen and Letters From Iwo Jima. More than 1,200 actors are members of the academy, which makes them the group's largest voting bloc. Sunshine already picked up a win as best picture from the influential Producers Guild.

"I think people are voting with their hearts more this year," says Sasha Stone of OscarWatch.com. Sunshine "is just a movie they enjoyed, that made them feel good. It has made the race a lot of fun."

So has the tight race.

"I don't think there has ever been a best-picture race so evenly spread out," says Dave Karger, Oscar
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...analysis_x.htm

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Little Miss Sunshine is definitely a quirky disfunctional
    family film. And if you want to see another movie
    in which the family is even MORE disfunctional and
    MORE fun, check out Sordid Lives (from about 3 or
    4 years ago). Sordid Lives is much better than
    LMS (and that's not putting down LMS).

• That Guy

What an amazing film. The writing, acting, and production were unreal. This film deserves to win for every nomination. I need to go buy the DVD, this is one for the collection.

I wish hollywood would make more fun, quirky films like this, than lame azz sequels that just suck.

On a side note, ANY move from Wes Anderson is also highly reccomended. He did:

Bottle Rockets
    Rushmore
    The Royal Tannenbaums
    The Life Aquatic

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    On a side note, ANY move from Wes Anderson is also highly reccomended. He did:

Bottle Rockets
    Rushmore
    The Royal Tannenbaums
    The Life Aquatic
    well now I know why all these films have the same look and feel to them. It's not a bad thing, it's just very unique and I have really enjoyed all of the films you mentioned.

• Coming Soon To RCT2...

he he. funny movie!
    ***SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION***
    No, not really, i'm not working on a signature, I just said that because my signature space looks empty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast