Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Little Miss Sunshine', don't miss it!

Saw this fab film a few days ago and now my friends and I call each other up claiming to be "the #1 Proust Scholar in the country", here is a recent article about it - enjoy!

The Sunshine Band
    By Josh Rottenberg
    ew.com

Why everyone's buzzing about ''Little Miss Sunshine.'' With its unique brand of pageantry, the 2006 Sundance sensation is poised to cut through the August doldrums like a yellow VW bus through the desert

IT'S A 'SUNSHINE' DAY
    Kinnear, Breslin, and Carell take their Sundance act nationwide

Little Miss Sunshine — a bittersweet comedy about an oddball family's road trip to a beauty pageant in a banged-up VW bus — received a rapturous standing ovation (at the Sundance Film festival in January), a blaze of buzz was sparked, the kind that makes industry dealmakers start hyperventilating and frantically punching at the keypads of their Blackberries. Something about the odyssey of the disaster-prone Hoover clan won the audience's affection beyond all expectations.

By the next morning, following a bidding war that raged until the wee hours, the distribution rights to the film had been snapped up by Fox Searchlight for $10.5 million, the highest price ever fetched at Sundance. Little Miss Sunshine quickly became the banner-headline story of the festival, heralded as a fresh, acerbically funny take on the dysfunctional-family road movie, sort of a National Lampoon's Vacation for the National Public Radio crowd. ''In 40 years of doing film and theater, I'd never experienced anything like the reaction we got,'' says Alan Arkin. ''Just wild enthusiasm.''

Now, eight months later, this $8 million little-indie-that-could is preparing to expand from a limited release in New York and Los Angeles to a wide national run. Previous summers have seen the occasional tiny underdog film rise out from the shadows of the big-budget blockbusters to become a surprise hit, and the makers of Sunshine are hoping that their cinematic microbus, fueled by overwhelmingly positive word of mouth, can hold its own on a freeway crowded with shiny Hummers.

The month of August, when many moviegoers start to feel wrung out from all the big, splashy sequels, remakes, and special-effects extravaganzas, has historically been a welcoming time for smaller, quirkier films. And, with an impressive $499,000 in box office in its first five days in just seven theaters, Sunshine is shaping up to be this summer's It Smaller, Quirkier Film.
    http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1222576_1_0_,00.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: 'Little Miss Sunshine', don't miss it!

Oh I want to see it!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^ I want you to see it.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• e komo mai

I've heard nothing but good things about this one. I'm gonna see it.

• Circle of Ancients

^ LOL, I was just going to say the same thing.

• My cuties!

I heard it was like RV but funny! Can't wait to see it!

• Reject no more!

I was planning on seeing it tonight, only to discover it isn't playing anywhere in the Phoenix area yet! Then I come across your post. RRgg. Thanks for reminding me why AZ sucks sometimes.
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• All you need is LOVE

I want to see it

• keh!

i saw it last night, what a hillarious movie! this is a great film, i could not stop laughing! it may be rated R but it still has charm to it, i can see why LMS is getting so much buzz.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Saw a screening with the producers and Greg Kinnear. Wonderful movie. Very real and touching. They all act so well without words. Go see it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Santa Barbara, CA

It's good ....although Ventura is not Redondo Beach.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Man O Lantern

Oh my God, I laughed SO hard at some points. Just when you're thinking, "Awww..." then they do something so bizarre that you laugh like crazy.

LINDA!!

How do you get a job as the #1 Proust scholar (damn that Larry Sugarman!), a motivational speaker, or a bereavement liaison?

The entire cast was incredible....such outlandish characters, but very real at the same time. I enjoyed Toni Collette's character, because she seemed so grounded and normal compared to everyone else. Just a good mom and sister, trying to do the best she can. Steve Carell was amazing. He was perfect in the role.

The pageant was so funny/disturbing. Loved watching Greg Kinnear's reactions to the whole thing. I was so grossed out by the little prostitute girls.

It's an extremely good movie. It played here this week in one theater, four auditoriums and each showing as sold out. When it was over, the entire audience applauded. Very cool.

i love this movie! it getsa lil sad at pts but the end is worth it! its a feel good dramedy

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

TODAY - SUNDAY AUGUST 20th ONLY - ArcLight Theatres Hollywood

Little Miss Sunshine (R)
    Greg Kinnear, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Paul Dano, Abigail Breslin, Alan Arkin
    Director: Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris
    Rating: R for language, some sex and drug content
    Running Time: 1 hr., 41 min.
    Genre: Comedy/Drama

On Sunday, August 20, Actress Abigail Breslin (who plays 7-year-old Olive) and producers Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger will do a Q&A following the 5:20pm show.

The Hoovers, a six-member family, trek from Albuquerque to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in Redondo Beach, California, to fulfill the deepest wish of 7-year-old Olive, an ordinary little girl with big dreams. Along the way the family must deal with crushed dreams, heartbreak, and a broken-down VW bus, leading up to the surreal Little Miss Sunshine competition itself.
    http://www.arclightcinemas.com/do/de...16.jsp&path=np

• World Traveler

Adam and I saw this yesterday here. We were very surprised how full the theater was for an independent movie! Wow. We loved it.

We can't wait for Little Miss Moonshine!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast