• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Back to the Future at Universal Orlando to close - Orlando Sentinel, 8/9/06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

The Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios is closing -- perhaps as soon as next month -- to make way for a new attraction, sources tell me.

No comment from Universal, but speculation on some unofficial Web sites indicates a new storyline and ride vehicles could be based on The Simpsons cartoon or The Fast and the Furious car-racing movies.

Back to the Future, based on the Michael J. Fox movie trilogy, opened in 1991 for an estimated $40 million. Back then, it was among the most sophisticated rides around.

But today, a generation of kids may know nothing of Doc Brown and his time machines -- making the ride less relevant for a park that is already struggling with attendance.

WHAT GOES ON . . . inside the mind of the Mouse?

That was the question this week at the Governor's Conference on Tourism, which began just as Walt Disney World increased ticket prices.

It wasn't just that this was Disney's second increase of the year -- or that, at $67, entry at Mouse World is more than twice what it was 15 years ago.

Officially, Disney says it upped prices so that its industry partners would have the information in time for their 2007 guide books. The company won't say whether that means it will forgo a price increase next year.

But the experts I spoke with wondered whether the latest increase could mean that Disney senses a downturn in attendance. Charging a few bucks more a head might allow the company to meet revenue goals even with fewer clicks of the turnstile.

Orlando's hotels know this strategy. Occupancy is down, but hotels have increased room rates. That's why the resort tax in Orange County continues to climb.

And despite the dire predictions, there's no evidence to suggest that Disney's (relatively) gradual price increases have ever hurt attendance.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: Back to the Future at Universal Orlando to close - Orlando Sentinel, 8/9/06

man, that sucks... thanks for sharing!! I hope it doesn't lead to the closure of the one at USH.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^I hope it does, Back to the Future has been offered long enough... Time for something NEW!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    ^I hope it does, Back to the Future has been offered long enough... Time for something NEW!!!
    true enough.. it is kind of outdated, I would like to see it refurbished but not closed

• The one, the only...

It shows the problem with "synergy." Companies try to convert the popularity of current movies or TV into ride which then get outdated. I wish Disney would learn this lesson.

Disney should build rides based on GREAT CONCEPTS which could come from anywhere, including movies. Great concepts last a long time, sometimes perpetually.

I don't think Disney will be closing the Haunted Mansion or Pirates any time soon even though they are both older than "Back to the Future."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

back to the future opened in 1991. the attraction they wanted to close was jaws but it is way too popular to close and they would have to replace it with something "sea" themed. with back to the future all they have to do is replace the skins on the deloreans and put in a new movie ala jimmy neutron and wallah! a new ride. with little down time. the next attraction that should be redone is the makeup show. I heard it would be too hard to redo earthquake because the ride was built into the building so they would have to tear out the whole thing.