• Closed Account

Red Face Oscar And Jack Sparrow!?

Some of these Oscar nominations I would like to see but not all of these are realistic!

- Performance by an actor in a leading role - Johnny Depp

Could happen but very rarely does a middle movie in a trilogy get nominated for any best actor category. (Remember Sir Ian McKellan in LOTR Trilogy?) Maybe in POTC-AWE?

- Achievement in costume design

Heck yeah! Talk about costume period piece. No other moive from this year could match up to the costumes in POTC-DMC!

- Achievement in directing

Hopeful but doubtful!

- Achievement in makeup

If you can consider CGI as make up maybe however many of the other non CGI characters had excellent makeup! Consider the weathered pirate look!

- Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

Jack's Theme, The Kraken, Two Horns, Tia Dalma, Davy Jones themes...NUFF SAID!

- Achievement in sound mixing

Definitely! No questions asked!

- Achievement in visual effects

ILM and CGI! What else can you say!?

- Original screenplay

Doubtful but hopeful! Hard to get around critics like Lisa Swartzbum from Entertainment Weekly that cannot enjoy the "entertainment value" of a movie....obviously topping $375 million means nothing to the critics!

January 17th 2007 the announcements come out!!!!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Oscar And Jack Sparrow!?

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Oscars are one of the most FIXED awards shows in the Industry. When Depp was first nominated, friends of mine who are academy voters actually got letters stating that the Academy agreed that they had to acknowledge LotR, but were urging people to vote AGAINST Depp. (I can't remember the exact wording now..I did see one of the letters..but basically it had to do with the Academy not feeling that they wanted THAT type of actor to represent good films.) Sheesh.

If you want a TRUE and more accurate award..look at the SAG (Screen Actor Guild) awards. Those are awards that are nominated and voted on by fellow actors. So one is honored by one's own peers. AND Depp did take Best Actor on that one. So, in the Industry, THAT is the award that truly means something, not the Oscars..which have sadly become a joke.

So, probably until it freezes in the Southern Regions.. I don't believe that Johnny will get an Oscar. As for Best Costumes..look how Revenge of the Sith was snubbed all the way around. Not even nominated..it is all a popularity contest and "That" pirate film isn't well thought of. *sigh*

P.S. and NOTHING would make me happier than to be proven wrong on this and Johnny does get the Oscar. I would LOVE IT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Don't worry, in about 30 years, Depp will get a lifetime achievement award *rolls eyes*
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the Oscars are one of the most FIXED awards shows in the Industry. When Depp was first nominated, friends of mine who are academy voters actually got letters stating that the Academy agreed that they had to acknowledge LotR, but were urging people to vote AGAINST Depp. (I can't remember the exact wording now..I did see one of the letters..but basically it had to do with the Academy not feeling that they wanted THAT type of actor to represent good films.) Sheesh.

If you want a TRUE and more accurate award..look at the SAG (Screen Actor Guild) awards. Those are awards that are nominated and voted on by fellow actors. So one is honored by one's own peers. AND Depp did take Best Actor on that one. So, in the Industry, THAT is the award that truly means something, not the Oscars..which have sadly become a joke.

So, probably until it freezes in the Southern Regions.. I don't believe that Johnny will get an Oscar. As for Best Costumes..look how Revenge of the Sith was snubbed all the way around. Not even nominated..it is all a popularity contest and "That" pirate film isn't well thought of. *sigh*

P.S. and NOTHING would make me happier than to be proven wrong on this and Johnny does get the Oscar. I would LOVE IT!!!
    Boy talk about the media frenzy if one of those letters should fall into the wrong hands....HINT HINT!

I have a feeling Depp will get more MTV/Nicklelodeon/People's Choice Awards before an Oscar nod! I was thinking more along the lines of Special FX/Costumes/Score. Maybe some of the Oscar nods that we never hear about during the normal ceremony...!

• done

Johnny Depp was terrific in POTC, but he doesn't deserve a nomination for POTC 2, IMO. He was OK, but not great.

• Circle of Ancients

Who is Oscar Sparrow???

• Closed Account

His gay lover! Didn't you hear Jack is gay?

• Circle of Ancients

^ I thought that, but they cant get married, and therefore wouldn't have the same last name.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    Johnny Depp was terrific in POTC, but he doesn't deserve a nomination for POTC 2, IMO. He was OK, but not great.
    I agree. Too much running and slapstick...

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

I agree too, not as good, he was just over the top and silly. I found him far less believable in POTC 2 than the first.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

I'd say it has visual effects locked up and score has good odds, that will make the Academy feel better about snubbing it everywhere else. Depending on the other acting performances, if there are five solid performances elsewhere, I don't see Depp getting one this time around.