• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'M:I-3' goes 3-way with DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray disc on same day

Aug. 11, 2006

Three the charm for 'M:I-3' DVD

By Thomas K. Arnold
    The Hollywood Reporter

Call it the "Mission: Impossible III" triple play. In an industry first, Paramount Home Entertainment is expected to announce Friday that it will release the $133.4 million summer movie hit on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc all on the same day: Oct. 30.

It's the first movie ever to be released simultaneously on standard DVD as well as on both next-generation, high-definition optical disc formats.

"This is certainly a significant milestone in the launch of the high-def formats," said veteran industry analyst Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research. "It's clearly way too soon to know which format is going to prevail, and it may be years. So I think we'll see a lot more dual-format releases, at least in the short term. The interesting moment will be if we see that from somebody besides Paramount and Warner Home Video, the only two studios that have announced support for both formats."

" 'M:I-3' set a new standard for action films and is setting a new standard for the home entertainment experience," said Meagan Burrows, president of domestic home entertainment at Paramount Pictures. "We're giving consumers all their options including the HD releases with a pristine presentation of the film as well as high-definition bonus features created exclusively for the movie."

The two-disc Special Collector's Edition DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc will each come loaded with special features, including five deleted scenes, Easter eggs (hidden special features), theatrical trailers and four documentaries: "The Making of the Mission," "Mission Action: Inside the Action Unit," "Visualizing the Mission" and "Scoring the Mission."

The HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions also will feature the film in 1080p High Definition with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus.

"I'm thrilled that people with get a chance to see 'M:I-3' with the best possible picture and audio," director J.J. Abrams said.

In addition, the HD-DVD release will include an "enhanced commentary" with Abrams and star Tom Cruise that shows them talking in a corner of the screen while the movie is playing.

The Special Collector's Edition DVD also will feature a regular commentary with Cruise and Abrams, a "Moviefone Unscripted" segment in which the two answer questions from fans, tribute montages and a photo gallery.

A single-disc DVD also will be available with only the commentary, "The Making of the Mission" documentary and the deleted scenes.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002985502
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Closed Account

Re: 'M:I-3' goes 3-way with DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray disc on same day

Hows about justs goes away! That movie was awful!

• Minion

Actually it was a pretty decent action film. Lots of action, perfect summer flick and far better than most of the movies that came out this season.

It's sad that people allow actor's personal lives to affect their decision to see a film. Makes little to no sense to me.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Actually it was a pretty decent action film. Lots of action, perfect summer flick and far better than most of the movies that came out this season.

It's sad that people allow actor's personal lives to affect their decision to see a film. Makes little to no sense to me.
    Even though Tom Cruise is a nut job the movie still was bad! Unfortunately MI-1 was the only good movie and the other unfortunate thing is that Tom has taken a great franchise and ruined it! Phillip Seymore Hoffman was about the only good thing about the flick!

• ...TWO BITS!

I had low expectations for MI3. But I saw it and actually liked it. Still, I just hope MI4 doesn't come. Leave it a trilogy, the MI franchise is finished. The Tom Cruise thing doesn't really bother me, I don't pay attention to other people's lives like that. Celebrities are people too.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park