• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

ABC Sports To Become "ESPN On ABC"

The Walt Disney Company is all about "corporate synergy" and building "brand awareness". And here is more evidence of both.

NEW YORK -- The ESPN look is moving to ABC.

ESPN will become the brand for all sports programming carried on ABC, starting with the debut of ABC's college football season on Sept. 2.

"ESPN on ABC" will begin with the College Football Countdown, followed by regional college football games that day. The first prime-time college football series on broadcast television, "Saturday Night Football," will debut at 8 p.m. with Notre Dame at Georgia Tech.

"Our collection of multimedia sports assets is unmatched in the industry, and we will now extend the ESPN brand across all platforms," said George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks, on Thursday.
    espn.com

There's already been alot of "synergy" between ABC and ESPN in recent years, and this apparently just takes it further.

"Monday Night Football", a 36-year institution on ABC, moves to ESPN next month.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: ABC Sports To Become "ESPN On ABC"

on a logical platform, this doesnt really make much sense. its like the los angeles angels of anaheim.
    hi

• Rock Star Minion

So, uh, which channel is showing the ND @ GT game? Is it on ESPN or ABC? I'm confused!
    If I can't find it, I'm not going to watch it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

It is an effort to expand the trade name of ESPN... the move was the end of jokes on the radio sports talk show circuit this morning...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

"ESPN"? What is that? Never heard of it. And how do you pronounce that? Every letter separately, or like, "Espin"?

(back to non-sarcastic typing...)
    It's already confusing enough that ESPN has the pregame shows, and then is hyping eight different games, although I'll see only one on ESPN, and one on ESPN2, and one on ABC, and the rest on College Football game package if I choose to buy it (and I don't).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

The programming on ESPN 2 is lousy... I was once subjected to it unfortunatey...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

dont forget espncollege and espnnews. this in no different than the family channel becoming abcfamily. they just want all the sports stuff to be under the espn logo. and btw espn used to show the sunday night game that is now being shown on nbc. the nfl still wanted a mondaynight game but abc was losing money on it so espn picked it up. go figure.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Only geeks like me care about these things, but it is the end of an era in a sense...

"ABC Sports" primarily under Roone Arledge meant some very creative programming for its time...to include "Wide World of Sports", "Monday Night Football" that Howard and Dandy Don made a tradition, and Olympic coverage with Jim McKay that NBC has never come close to topping. (Like Al Michaels calling the "Miracle On Ice" and McKay with his reporting the death of the Israeli athletes in Munich, 1972.)

These days most people have cable or satellite dishes so who cares if a game is shown on channel 7 (ABC in LA) or ESPN (Ch. 206 on my DirecTV?)

The old broadcast networks become less and less relevant all the time. ESPN has been a cash cow for Disney for many years now and you can believe that they will milk that brand for all its worth and more.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

i am waiting for the day that the superbowl will be either on the new nfl channel or espn.