•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Mike Douglas dies at age 81

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mike Douglas, the affable big band singer who for two decades hosted a parade of America's biggest stars and newsmakers on his top-rated daytime talk show, died on Friday on his 81st birthday, friends said.

Born Michael Dowd in Chicago in 1925, he began singing professionally as a teenager, and after serving in the Navy during World War Two joined bandleader Kay Kayser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge as a featured vocalist.
    It was Kayser who gave him his stage name, unexpectedly introducing the young singer as Mike Douglas during a performance.
    During his stint with Kayser's band, Douglas recorded such hits as "Ole Buttermilk Sky" and "The Old Lamplighter," and he later supplied the singing voice for Prince Charming in the Disney animated fairy-tale classic "Cinderella."
    Subsequently hired as a "staff singer" by NBC, Douglas went on to land his own TV show at a Cleveland TV station just as he was considering getting out of show business. "The Mike Douglas Show" debuted in 1961 as a local program and was soon syndicated nationally, moving first to Philadelphia and later to Burbank, California.
    Airing weekdays until 1982, the series was the top-rated daytime talk show for most of its run and attracted the biggest names in entertainment, pop culture and politics, all welcomed in the easy-going, warm style that was Douglas' trademark as a host.
    "He was a genuine, nice guy -- not a mean bone in his body," recalled CNN host Larry King. "He had a geniality about him. It was easy to be around him."
    Notable guests on Douglas' show ranged from such stars as Bill Cosby, Bob Hope, Marlon Brando and Barbra Streisand to non-showbiz luminaries like Rose Kennedy, Barry Goldwater and Princess Grace of Monaco. A young golf prodigy named Tiger Woods made his first televised putt on Douglas' show.
    Douglas frequently shared the stage with celebrity co-hosts who helped interview other guests for several days. Among his most notable co-hosts were John Lennon and Yoko Ono, who spent a week in 1972 with such guests as Black Panther Party co-founder Bobby Seale, anti-Vietnam War activist Jerry Rubin, consumer advocate Ralph Nader and comedian George Carlin.
    Despite the radical chic that sometimes graced his show, Douglas described himself as mainstream. "I'm square and I am happy that I am," he once said."

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Re: Mike Douglas dies at age 81

How sad.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• Neep meep beep

Wow, he was truly a talk show pioneer, and Oprah and others owe a large debt to his format. I remember Mom watching this show when we were kids every afternoon -- another one of an era gone, relegated to history!

Has anybody told Merv and Dick?
    Tref ...

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Here's Mike Douglas' Find A Grave page. You can give your words to Mike Douglas here.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=15297507

I don't know if Dick and Merv know yet. It's still a new,sudden,& surprising for right now. You might hear them later.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I remember the way he used to look down his guest's blouses.. he'll be sorely missed.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• All you need is LOVE

Very Sad

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Mike Douglas dies at age 81

I used to watch "The Mike Douglas Show" when I was a kid. I remember the format of the 1970's, at least, was that he had a celebrity co-host all week.

Well, there was this week where Barbara Mandrell was on......it must've been about 1979 or so......and by Wednesday of that week, I had a crush on her. I was so sad come Friday. I recall her talking about her upcoming Variety Show that would be on Saturday Nights called "Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters". I was an avid watcher - still had the crush i guess.

HAHAHA

• Married and happy again!!

Sad
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I. too, remember the Mike Douglas show with great fondness. His band leader was Joe Harnell - whose orchestra had a very popular instrumental version of "Fly Me To The Moon".

And he will always be remembered for, among other things, his series of interviews with John Lennon.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

A multitalented pioneer with a ton of style and class. An avid and successful businessman as well. I used to watch his talk show all the time. You don't find combination hosts/showmen any longer. A genuine nice guy, too.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!