Thread: Brothers Grim

•   
    • Minion

Brothers Grim

I noticed that Disney - er - Miramax is comming out with a new Terri Gilliam film...

The Brothers Grimm... With Matt Damon... Looks classic Gilliam...

(OK, I am a fan of Gilliam's movies... I really wish he could buy back Don Queote from the insurance company that holds the rites now.)

Looks like there is life in the Miramax studio after all...
    Check out my other blog:

• Gay Man

I am a BIG fan of folk and fairy tales. I have quite a collection of books of tales from all over the world. I also like certain Gilliam films - especially Brazil.

However, reading the description of the film on IMDB has be doubting if this will really be a worthwhile film. I am making a point of reserving judgement until it is released, but I can't help but have my doubts. I hope Gilliam can pull it off with the aplomb I know he is capable of.

• șoș Tom șoș

Oh man this movie was only slightly less cursed that Gilliams previous project "Man of La Mancha." This film was completed almost 3 years ago when I worked at Dimension/Miramax and it was such an awful bloody mess it got shelved.

It strays so far outside the who and what we know of Brother's Grimm that its absurd. I love Gilliams films and I actually quite like the premise having read several treatements but Grimm fans be warned this is not what you are expecting.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Oh man this movie was only slightly less cursed that Gilliams previous project "Man of La Mancha." This film was completed almost 3 years ago when I worked at Dimension/Miramax and it was such an awful bloody mess it got shelved.

It strays so far outside the who and what we know of Brother's Grimm that its absurd. I love Gilliams films and I actually quite like the premise having read several treatements but Grimm fans be warned this is not what you are expecting.
    Then it sounds like they are just taking films off the shelf...

Gilliams projects are usually cursed... He is very ambitous with many of his projects... His best film "Brasil" was ripped to shredds in the editing room by the producer... Who didn't think people would sit for the two and a half hour film... Only thing is was it was a BRILLIANT piece of film making...

I am not suggesting that this one is brilliant... But I am taking a wait and see approach...
    Check out my other blog:

• Gay Man

Oh dear. It seems it is what I feared. We'll see upon release.

Seeing Brazil in the director's cut version is such a breath of freash air. It is a brilliant film in this version. I hope they can help the Grimm film realize the potential I'm sure is there somewhere.

• Minion

"Grimm" Film Production Sketches

I started this thread a month ago and always look forward to any film made by Gilliam. Thought I'd re-post it here in case any of you missed seeing the link below. At the least his films always look fantastic.

Guy Dyas is the production designer. His drawings remind me of old European etchings. Beautiful work!

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/grimguyd.htm

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    "Grimm" Film Production Sketches

I started this thread a month ago and always look forward to any film made by Gilliam. Thought I'd re-post it here in case any of you missed seeing the link below. At the least his films always look fantastic.

Guy Dyas is the production designer. His drawings remind me of old European etchings. Beautiful work!

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/grimguyd.htm
    All the footage and stills I saw reflect a look like this- not quite black and white but something very much like those drawings! I love the art direction.

As much as I am nervous about having heard the horror stories coming off the set I am really far more excited about this project than I was Man of La Mancha. I haven't seen a good Terry Gilliam film I could sink my teeth into since maybe 12 Monkeys.

• Minion

I just caught up with the documentary Lost In La Mancha the other day and thought it was very good. Poor Jean Rochefort is the perfect actor for playing Quixote and from what was shot it looked like it could've been a great film.

•   
    • Minion

I haven't seen a good Terry Gilliam film I could sink my teeth into since maybe 12 Monkeys.
    Yeah, well he does seem a bit "snake bit" at the moment...

His most accessable film though I thought was The Fisher King...

But have you noticed that the Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, and Brazil are the same movie to a varying degree?

I find it ironic that he calls TimeBandets, Brazil, and Barron Muchausen a trilogy... (I guess it is Childhood, Middle Age, and Old Age...)
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

I believe he only completed one film since Monkeys and that was Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

3 Years ago? It hadn't even started shooting 3 years ago. Yes, it has been delayed and troubled, like most of Gilliam's projects. Shooting ended a little over a year ago and Gilliam has been working on Post in his spare time since it got pushed back further and further.

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/grimdev.htm