• Still lost in Neverland

Special showing of Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Last night at the Archlight Theater in Hollywood (the Cinerama Dome theater complex) they had what they call a "Party Night" showing of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It's Party Night because there is a bar just at that theater room and they serve wine, so no one under 21 is allowed in. Which also meant no creaming, crying kids. It was all adults. Also, this print was an original uncensored print of the movie and it was wonderful seeing my favorite Disney Rabbit up on the big screen again, and in full surround sound.

Also present was the supervising animator for Roger, Andre Dejas, and he gave a wonderful Question and Answer session after the movie. He also drew Roger on a big art board as he talked about the movie. Then he answered questions and we all had a great time. The all adult audience was great. Very appreciative of this ground breaking movie, and very interesting to note that every single frame of the animation in this movie was all hand drawn. No CGI at all, as it wasn't around then. And how Steven Spielberg was indeed the one who got Warners to allow there characters in the movie.

And someone asked, why where there no Hanna Barbara characters shown? Do you know the answer?
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Special showing of Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Because they are Barbarians (Hanna Barbarians to be precise) and they aren't allowed into Toontown.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Nope. IT's one you have to think about.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Shablagoo!

Didn't the moview take place before those cahracters existed? I don't remember what year the movie takes place, but Hanna Barbara started in 1957.

Did anyboy ask about a possible sequel or animated short?

The event sounded like fun. Let me guess the reason why, Hanna-Barbera Character didn't show up was because there was no tv back than.

I know that the studios wanted a Tom & Jerry cameo through.

Yes! The Hanna Barbara characters didn't come along until well after 1948 which the movie is set in.

Yes, they did ask about a sequel, and it boils down to what I thought. The character is owned by two companies, Disney and Amblin. Each has to make $$ and each has a say in the plot and character. Neither can agree with the other. So, no sequel. The shorts were made, at great expense, to keep Roger in the public eye as long as the movie was playing and on TV. Once that was finished, they saw no need to continue the shorts. Sad because they were some of the best short cartoon features made.

Even though they got Betty Boop they couldn't get Popeye from Fleisher and one other of his characters. And no, MGM did not think the movie would be any good, so they would not let Tom & Jerry make a cameo. There were a lot of studios who felt that way, but as Andre said, they sure were sorry after it came out.

And as a side note, did you all know that back when the studio was on a roll with big animated features after The Little Mermaid, that both Florida and Burbank were working on animated features at the same time. Florida got the "A" movie and Burbank got the "B" movie. In other words, the suits at Burbank thought the big movie would be "A" and a not so good movie would be "B". Well, Andre worked on the "B" movie "Lion King" while Florida worked the "A" movie, "Pocahontas". As Andre said, "We sure showed them"!

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Pilot EdForceOne

I know visiting MGM in the 90s that they were working on Lion King in the Animation building when I went through. From what you're saying, it wouldn't have been there. ??

• Iron-Clad Allie

It's not a bad film. It's just drawn that way.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

As far as I know MGM had nothing to do with Lion King. It was a Disney Animmated Feature film made right at the new Animation Building in Burbank, unless they rented some space over at MGM when it got so big, but he didn't mention anything about that. He said Burbank Studios.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Pilot EdForceOne

Dunno... just know they were working on it. Because I was like 'wtf.. a movie about african animals???' because all the artwork and stuff they were showing was real 'realistic' and nothing looked like the characters that ended up in the movie.

• keep moving forward...

but the penguins from mary poppins were in the movie...why no hannah barbara, i always thought because it was a different animation style

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88
    but the penguins from mary poppins were in the movie...why no hannah barbara, i always thought because it was a different animation style
    Because all of the Toons are working actors, the penguins are waiting tables until they eventually get their big break in "Mary Poppins".

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Because all of the Toons are working actors, the penguins are waiting tables until they eventually get their big break in "Mary Poppins".
    So, then, why isn't the Hannah Barbera characters working until their big break?

By the way, Popeye has appeared with Disney a few times...

The most notable is in the movie musical, Popeye, starring Robin Williams and Shelly Duvall. The movie was co-produced by Disney and distributed by Paramount.

A little more obscure is Adventures in the Magic Kingdom. One trivia question asked which non-Disney character didn't appear in WFRR -- the answer was Popeye.

Even more obscure, in the 60s, Lastrade put out a 3-D slide card on Donald Duck. The card told the story (in French, done with clay figures) of Donald going out to sea, diving down to find some treasure. The captain of the small boat? Popeye. I'll scan some frames soon and share them here.
    -Tim

• Rock Star Minion

I don't think there were any H-B movies until after they were on TV.
    Same reasoning The Flintstones weren't in it. Or The Simpsons. Or Robot Chicken.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Uh. Robot Chicken didn't exist in 1989. lol. I know that Casper was suppose to be in the film.