Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

What happened to the REAL classics??

Okay, so I was born to middle age parents, so, as I grew up, I was exposed to their likes...you know, REAL music..the Eagles, CCR..and REAL movies...Gone with the Wind, A Street Car named Desire. My husband's mother was 18 when she had him...before he married me..he had never heard of Abbot and Costello or The Rat PAck. So, I have slowly been introducing him to the classics. This weekend..the little monkey has gone to her grandparents and we were going to have a n "old movie" weekend. Starring..Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies and followed by...a personal favorite..Bob Hope. And off we go to the movie store...I walk aimlessly down the aisles...finding nothing. So, I go to the cashier and had to repeat all three names twice. The cashier (roughly my age) gave me a blank stare, tapped his computer keys and said "nope" to all three. This has me baffled. I search the aisles again and come up with the conclusion that the oldest movie in the store is probably "young frankenstein". Not REALLY a classic...well, okay, maybe it is...I LOVE Gene WIlder...but, it's just not in the same category as Lucy or BOb. Which leads to this...WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? I'm only 26....how have the greats suddenly disappeared from the shelves? Am I the only one thinking this way? Am I the only one craving comedy that doesn't involve today's rude humor? ~sigh~ is anyone out there a "oldie" fan besides me? Tell me about it...what's your fav?

• Man O Lantern

Re: What happened to the REAL classics??

I think I was raised like you were.

My dad was a classic movie junkie, so I was exposed to all the older movies and all things Disney.

He was the Disney fan in the family, so when my friends were watching 80's movies, I was watching The Barefoot Executive or The Cat From Outer Space. He actually convinced me that the theme from Follow Me Boys was a "cool" song. He just really liked his wholesome upbringing, and exposed me to family entertainment.

Imagine my sadness when I found out Hayley Mills was older than my mother, and that Tommy Kirk could be arrested if he was as attracted to me as I was to him.

In my locker, I didn't have pictures of Patrick Swayze or Rob Lowe, I had James Dean and Family Affair pictures hanging. I had a thing for both Jody and Uncle Bill.

He also loved Hitchcock movies, so I grew up on those. I spent a lot of last year re-watching almost every single one of his movies, no matter how sucky. There are some slightly sucky Hitchcock movies, believe it or not.

He loved CCR and the Beatles. We listened to Cream and Billy Joel. I think he cried with joy when I discovered The Doors.

My mom was a fan of musicals, so I grew up watching things like Singin in the Rain, My Fair Lady, The Wizard of Oz, and the Sound of Music. Barbra Streisand was a goddess in our household. I really loved her movies. Pre-Prince of Tides, of course. And Bette Midler. Oy. My mom loved Bette.

Of course, I rebelled. I brought Madonna and Wham into our lives. I loved Milli Vanilli and Banarama. I adored The Smiths and Depeche Mode and most of my iPod is filled with sad emo lyrics set to an 80's pop sound. My dad would throw my iPod out the window if he saw the crap I have collected on it. I have more a-ha on my iPod than the Beatles.

I've strived to raise my kids the same way I was raised though. They've seen all the old live-action Disney movies, they love Parent Trap and Hayley Mills, Dean Jones, they've memorized Singin' in the Rain and Annie. But we also watch Goonies, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and The Outsiders and some of the movies from "my" time. They watch The Goonies way more often than any Lindsey Lohan or Hilary Duff movie.

My kids' two favorite movies? Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and White Christmas.

And because I love my 80's crap music, my eleven year old rebels by loving show tunes and has about 15 Broadway cast recordings in her room. She loves Chicago and Rent (I know, not appropriate, but still) and Wicked and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. The first CD she ever purchased with her own money was a Judy Garland collection. I was so proud!

Not saying she doesn't belt out tunes from High School Musical (oy) or the occasional Avril Lavigne, but mainly she's into more mature music. I really admire her! But I still burn her copies of The Strokes and Keane and The Shins....she'll give them a pity listen for me, then return to her "good" music.

My husband on the other hand, had never seen The Wizard of Oz or The Sound of Music, let alone any Disney movies before he met me. Not even a single Hitchcock! Luckily, he loves it all, from silly Bollywood (my guilty pleasure) to the 80's movies, to musicals, to Hitchcock. He's willing to watch and like everything I do.

im a musical lover and can never find any to rent...u really needa just purchase dvds unfortunately...go to big dvd stores and search...all the classics r on dvd...cant find em in ur best store...try amazon...they have everything

• Man O Lantern

I also grew up watching Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver and Patty Duke. I was always a generation behind, cool-wise. It didn't help growing up in the 70's....Grease, Happy Days, The Waltons, Eight is Enough, American Graffiti, Laverne and Shirley? What decade was that, anyway?

My mom let me watch the good stuff though: CHiPs and Facts of Life.

One of my proudest mom moments this year was when my kids put on a skating spectacular for me, singing all the songs from Xanadu, while roller blading!! I seriously almost cried. So beautiful. They can belt out ELO and Olivia Newton John! I love that they can like the crapola I really love, but also class it up a bit by putting on a full production of My Fair Lady.

Also, one of my eight year olds' favorite movies (aside from all the Star Wars) is Breakfast at Tiffany's. When we cuddle, she sometimes calls me Fred. It always makes me giggle.

Now, if I could only make them see how freaking AWESOME Urban Cowboy is, I would know that they are mine. Truly mine.

• Man O Lantern

I get almost all of ours from the library. They have everything!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Stitchy - In general. I agree with you - while there certainly were potty mouths back in the day (Lenny Bruce for example)...there certainly seem to be many more of them today.

Coming from you it's different, in the sense that I say it at age 50 - I'm written off as a "fogey".

For video, forget Blockbuster - look for more locally owned shops that might specialize in what the big chain does not carry.

My best recommendation. NETFLIX. Amazing selection, great service, very easy.

Comedy movies...early Woody Allen stuff, stuff based on Neil Simon plays, especially the "Odd Couple" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau....I love most everything Jack Lemmon's ever been in, both comedy and dramatic...My all time favorite..."Some Like It Hot" with Lemmon and Tony Curtis.

And there's a Tony Curtis comedy..."40 Pounds Of Trouble" that features scenes from a certain theme park we all know and love...circa 1962!

Favorite all time TV comedy..The Dick Van Dyke Show...followed by Mary Tyler Moore's own show, Andy Griffith, Lucy - not as big on the Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres. And I Love Lucy. (Her shows after that got progressively worse)...and....the Honeymooners!

Hows that for a start? Not bad for a "fogey". And that's not to say there's not some good stuff out there now...it's just harder to find...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    I also grew up watching Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver and Patty Duke. I was always a generation behind, cool-wise. It didn't help growing up in the 70's....Grease, Happy Days, The Waltons, Eight is Enough, American Graffiti, Laverne and Shirley? What decade was that, anyway?
    The 70's indeed!!!

American Graffiti was a classic movie...loved the Waltons until both Richard Thomas and Michael Learned left, then it started getting a bit silly...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Man O Lantern

I Jack Lemmon, Barry. I always felt like I "got" him. I felt like he was the everyman that directly represented ME. It was years before I understood, that, duh, that was his appeal. I really loved The Apartment and The Out of Towners.

Of course, conversely, I also "get" Mel Brooks.

I've gotten all three of my daughters hooked on Doris Day, too. I looove Doris Day! Love Me or Leave Me, Pillow Talk, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Lover Come Back, The Pajama Game, Move Over....when my oldest daughter sings Que Sera Sera, she knows it'll make me cry. Beautiful, that woman. The Man Who Knew Too Much is still a favorite movie of mine.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    I Jack Lemmon, Barry. I always felt like I "got" him. I felt like he was the everyman that directly represented ME. It was years before I understood, that, duh, that was his appeal. I really loved The Apartment and The Out of Towners.
    And the first, I believe, of Jack's many dramatic roles...The Days Of Wine And Roses...with superb performances by Lee Remick and Jack Klugman, among others...

• Man O Lantern

The only reason I've seen Days of Wine and Roses, is because we did a Blake Edwards-athon in the spring!!

I had a hard time believing that the same Blake Edwards was making the new Pink Panther, that I looked him up and checked out 10, The Great Race, Wine and Roses, Pink Panther (old), another PP (can't remember which one), The Party and Victor/Victoria (husband hadn't seen it). We watched them all...there are others I'd like to see, but Wine and Roses was a favorite!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I absolutely love Claudette Colbert. One of my favorite movies is It Happened One Night. Then there's the Egg and I. But I will watch any old movie that she has appeared in.

I will watch anything with Spencer Tracy. Boys Town, comes to mind and my all time favorite Angel's with Dirty Faces. James Cagney, who in my opinion when he was facing death at the end turned chicken for the sake of his own soul, rather than to just help a childhood friend.

Captain's Courageous, the story of fisherman, and frienship, and family. Another Spencer Tracy Movie that always makes me cry.

I absolutely adore the movie Bells are Ringing with Dean Martin. Very funny and entertaining.

More serious favorites of mine are 12 Angry Men, Dirty Dozen, Poseiden Adventure, and the Miracle Worker (Patty Duke).

When we were kids, we always looked for I Remember Mama, and Spencer's Mountain, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Another real gem in my opinion is Penny Serenade. A real oldie but goodie.

My attic is full of classic movies that I have taped on VHS tapes. Don't know how many still play.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Anyone who doesn't know who Bob Hope, Abbott & Costello and Lucy are need to be flogged. BLASPHEMY!

• My cuties!

Stink, I just love all those movies you mentioned! My Netflix queue is filled with tons of the classics!

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

My favorite movies are Grapes of Wrath, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Star Wars, Wizard Of Oz, Rebel Without A Cause, and of course all the classic Disney movies. And all this coming from someone who grew up in the "hood". LOL. I like watching stuff from the MGM golden age, and I love Lucy and Judy Garland. There are just some things that have that kind of effect on me. I enjoy "Who's On First" as much as I enjoy George Lopez. I love Pirates as much as I love the other movies I mentioned....It just takes a certain kind of magic to enjoy the newer things, where as the classics were pure magic in themselves.

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Disappearing/Reappearing

STINKERBELL--
    so when my friends were watching 80's movies, I was watching The Barefoot Executive or The Cat From Outer Space.
    haha..me too. I LOVED the cat from outer space..I forgot about that one. I gotta let my daughter watch that. She'd love it.

Imagine my sadness when I found out Hayley Mills was older than my mother, and that Tommy Kirk could be arrested if he was as attracted to me as I was to him
    heehee..I think my first crush was Fonzi...followed by Burt Reynolds. That one followed me as I grew up. All my high school friends were crushing on Tom Cruise and Brad PItt...I was drooling over Al Pacino and Burt Reynolds. I think my parents worried about me.

My kids' two favorite movies? Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and White Christmas
    Your kids have good taste. My father's favorite all time movie is White Christmas...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Marilyn. I walk around sining Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

RADIOBARRY--
    My best recommendation. NETFLIX. Amazing selection, great service, very easy
    THAT is a GREAT suggestion!! We looked on there last night and were surprized that they had quite a few Bob HOpe movies (casonova's big night; my favorite) and Lucy Ball (the long long trailer, Fancy Pants; my favorites). So thanks

My all time favorite..."Some Like It Hot" with Lemmon and Tony Curtis
    that's one of the first "old" movies my husband watched...I didn't quite know what'd he'd think. If he'd get the humor...but, he actually loved it. He laughed and laughed...and he'll actually sit and watch it whenever it comes on.

Favorite all time TV comedy..The Dick Van Dyke Show
    you have seriously GREAT taste..me and you would get along REAL well. I LOVE the Dick Van Dyke show!! My favorite episode is the classic walnut episode. I laugh hysterically every time it comes on. Hubby doesn't get that one. And then, I Love Lucy...LOVE LOVE LUCY!! My favorite episode is the one where her and Ethel dress up as aliens and climb the Empire State Building....hahahaha (itzamoomoo)

AIMSTER--
    Anyone who doesn't know who Bob Hope, Abbott & Costello and Lucy are need to be flogged. BLASPHEMY!
    I agree...unfortunately, that would have included my husband before we were married. HAha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast