Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• That one girl.

Re: No More Country Music On LA Radio, Rick Dees Is Back

There is still a huge audience for country music in Los Angeles. The KZLA Country Bash concert sells out each year. Large venues full of people to see the top country acts give them a show.

What about the people who can't afford to get satellite radio. Free radio is where they go. And this move sounds like something that Clear Channel would do, but KZLA wasn't a Clear Channel station. It's baffling.

And personally, I hate Rick Dees. He's so dated.
    Well, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, just like me.

For new music click below!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I dont like country, and i dont like beyonce type music that will be playing now. BUT, i have to say that there are soooo many other stations playing the same thing all the time, like beyonce, and others. It would have been better if KZLA would have stayed ( I cant believe i just said that ) but only because people need a variety, and there are people out there that actually enjoy country music.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Oh! that billboard that said Save a horse, ride a cowboy excellent, i loved it

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm still fuming over 103.5 in Tampa switching from classic rock to county with no warning last year. I want my Bob & Tom back, dammit!

• Winter in Oceanside...

I was surprised to hear the news too. I listen to country now and then (would not call me a diehard fan) and I know there are major fans out there - just look at the sell out crowds for Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. Fortunately I'm out here in the IE so I can pick up the San Bernardino country station KFRG and get away from the same ol' hip hop or Spanish stations.

And who the heck is Rick Dees anyway???

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Rick Dees is a radio legend and a One Hit Wonder as well (Disco Duck anyone?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dees
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Iron-Clad Allie

KHAY is an awesome name for a country station. I LOVE everything about Ventura. Does the broadcast frequency reach all of LA County, Barry? That would be toe tapping terrific.

LA is foolhardy to blow off the country market. I could envision a television show that would have KHAY in it's title. It would be somewhat of a cross between WKRP In Cincinnati and Hee Haw.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

this makes me sad. i don't really listen to country music, but my mom LOVED this station. i'm sure on thursday when she was in the car was trying to figure out what happened to her station.

looks like she'll be getting sateillite radio as well. or perhaps she can finally start using her cds that she has.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    [B]Rick Dees is a radio legend and a One Hit Wonder as well (Disco Duck anyone?)
    Disco Duck I remember - [sarcasm] Wow. Great song. [/sarcasm] And I guess he is a legend just like Casey Kasem is a legend (Top 40 countdowns). Not getting excited over either. Looks like he was on KIIS in the morning. Did he lose his job to Ryan Seacrest? I'm thinking Ryan is much more of a draw.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

you are exactly right about KIIS. in Radio circles (inside the industry) replacing Dees with Seacrest was poorly received. Seacrest also replaced Casey Kasem on his more popular Top 40 show. Both moves are very unpopular and thus Seacrest is just as unpopular (he doesn't deserve that in my opinion) Yes Ryan has more of a draw but draw enough to unseat two time-tested professionals I don't think so. Canning Kasem and Dees was like firing Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, or Vince Lombardi (using football examples) just because they aren't young enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Yes, I'm surprised as well. "Diversity" should mean more formats, not less, since there's more tastes to appeal to. I know Country was making a comeback 10+ years ago, but I guess that was shortlived.
    Country music has a huge following around the country. Country acts made more money last year than any pop acts could have dreamt of making. The genre isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Seems like a foolish move to me. But, as others have said, that's why modern radio, as we know it, it pretty much dead. With satellite radio and iPods, anyone can be a DJ. How long before traditional radio is obsolete?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

(putting on long grey beard and leaning on his cane...)

When I began in the radio business around 1974, FM radio wasn't considered much of a force in the market. I only managed to get work at KSON-FM because management considered the station marginal. Their money-maker was KSON-AM. (I do give them props, though, for buying the FM as a hedge against the future.) Then things changed.

Today, it's hard to find music on AM radio. FM is the "default" band.

Then things will change again.

Eventually, as in TV, broadcast will become marginal and "cable" (as in Satellite Radio) will emerge victorious. No country station in L.A? Who cares!? The satellite is everywhere.

What will become of the old-fashioned radio stations with transmitters and towers? Maybe, after satellites, iPods and the internet takes over the mainstream entertainment venues, the AM/FM stations will return to delivering local news, information and entertainment.

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney

What will become of the old-fashioned radio stations with transmitters and towers? Maybe, after satellites, iPods and the internet takes over the mainstream entertainment venues, the AM/FM stations will return to delivering local news, information and entertainment.

Which is the only reason I listen to radio anymore anyway.
    We got lots of Country Music here is Southern Utah, but Satalite, I-Pods, even the nearly obsolete CDs bring me my music fixes.
    On the AM Dial I listen to the local talk shows, news, tradeio, and the like. I don't think Radio stations will disapear, they will just need to re-invent themselves.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Los Anageles in the number 1 market for ountry music in the U.S.
    Last year, more country music CDs were sold in the Los Anagele area than anywhere else in the U.S.
    this year we're in first place again, (1.3 this year, 2.5?? total last year).
    And like dbc said, country music converts SELL OUT huige venus. Heck, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw just played THREE concerts here - sold out three nights at the Staples Center!
    Not having a country music radio station in L.A. is STUPID.
    I have heard that there were possibly fines that weren't paid and that the DJs didn't know until the last minute. (BTW, it's still streaming on the Internet and is on HD radio).

And there are million of people who don't have/can't a fford sataellite radio. I agree it's the future of radio but it's way too soon to cut regular stations.

also, the Country Music Association has issued a statement saying they fully support anyone who starts a new country station here.

I really hope someone does

I DDO like Rick Dees, but I already have a few morning radio shows I listen to, and I'd rather have my country music!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    KHAY is an awesome name for a country station. I LOVE everything about Ventura. Does the broadcast frequency reach all of LA County, Barry? That would be toe tapping terrific.
    No. It's primary listening base is Ventura County and Santa Barbara...but its signal does bring in listeners from Newhall/Saugus and Westlake/Agoura Hills/Calabasas as well.

I might be biased since I worked there for many years, but I thought KHAY was a much better country station than KZLA ever was. I think at times KZLA couldn't figure out what it wanted to be IMHO.

"K-Frog" is a good station too but all those made up frog names they made their personalities use got stale for me. At one point, at least, there was an AM station in that same area, playing "classic country"...that called itself..."The Toad"...

Music radio is, indeed, dying, and in large part it's the consultants, researchers and bean counters that killed it.
    And local talk in the medium and smaller markets, now usually means the same syndicated shows you can hear anywhere else.

Despite the title of the first piece aired on MTV, It was not "video" that killed the radio star...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast