Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Re: No More Country Music On LA Radio, Rick Dees Is Back

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    (putting on long grey beard and leaning on his cane...)

When I began in the radio business around 1974, FM radio wasn't considered much of a force in the market. I only managed to get work at KSON-FM because management considered the station marginal. Their money-maker was KSON-AM. (I do give them props, though, for buying the FM as a hedge against the future.) Then things changed.

Today, it's hard to find music on AM radio. FM is the "default" band.

Then things will change again.

Eventually, as in TV, broadcast will become marginal and "cable" (as in Satellite Radio) will emerge victorious. No country station in L.A? Who cares!? The satellite is everywhere.

What will become of the old-fashioned radio stations with transmitters and towers? Maybe, after satellites, iPods and the internet takes over the mainstream entertainment venues, the AM/FM stations will return to delivering local news, information and entertainment.

I think that process has already begun. However the stations doing so have been in other languages. But as Satalite radio takes over I agree that localization will return to radio. What other use is there for these frequencies?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Banned User

Such a shame.

So many people love country music.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

An intersting articcle about KZLSA from today's LA Times.
    You can read the entire thing Over Here

The shift demonstrates how America's changing ethnicity is remaking media, especially in big cities. Because of their size and loyalty, minority audiences are becoming more coveted by radio companies than white listeners — at least in ethnically diverse metropolitan areas. Once-essential genres such as country, rock and classical music are increasingly being replaced by formats such as pop, hip-hop and talk radio.

Executives say stations are willing to make almost any adjustment to attract listeners at a time when radio audiences are declining industrywide. Just as cable television's niche programming has eroded the large broadcast networks' audiences over the decades, new technologies such as iPods and satellite radio are now drawing listeners looking for specialized playlists or genres disappearing from the dial.

Country and rock stations have been disproportionately battered by these new technologies, according to music analysts.

"Hispanic radio operators say their audiences are slower to adopt iPods and satellite radio," said Laraine Mancini, a Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst who estimates that KZLA's format change could increase the station's revenue by as much as 50%. "Hispanic and urban stations hold their audiences better, probably because their listeners don't switch to new technologies quite so quickly as white audiences."

"The Los Angeles radio market is basically 40% Hispanic, 11% Asian and 8% black, and country fans are about 98% Caucasian," said Rick Cummings, a top executive at KZLA's parent company, Emmis Communications Corp. "My job is to attract as large an audience as possible. KZLA is now playing music that appeals to Hispanic adult women, and that will hopefully attract other suburban women of different ethnicities."

"This is a huge disappointment," said Gary Borman, a manager representing country superstar Faith Hill, among other artists. "KZLA did a fantastic job building a country music community here, and our artists were proud to contribute to that. If radio executives can focus on urban and Latino listeners, why can't they focus on white America? This seems like the arbitrary hand of corporate America at work."

Country music label heads agreed.

"Los Angeles is our No. 1 sales market in America," said Bill Bennett, head of Warner Bros. Records Nashville. "If I were Sirius or XM Satellite Radio, I would see this as a major opportunity. We'll survive. New York hasn't had a country station in years, and Faith Hill and Tim McGraw still sold out Madison Square Garden. But it's a real blow."

But KZLA's operators remain confident in their choice.

"Radio is a pure numbers game," said Cummings, the Emmis executive. "A little over a year ago we changed an Indianapolis station to country, and it zoomed up the rankings. But Los Angeles is a minority market, and that's what we have to program for."

Even Cummings, however, worries what the change portends.

"I'm concerned that the homogenization across the L.A. dial is going to make it harder to attract young listeners. But if I just put on highly specialized channels, this company would die. There isn't much room for experimentation in modern radio."

~~~
    Sorry I quoted so much but it's very telling... a sort of reverse racism thing going on... catering to the growing non-white population. Sucks for those of us who don't like rap, hip hop, Spanish, etc. music.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland

"Hispanic radio operators say their audiences are slower to adopt iPods and satellite radio," said Laraine Mancini, a Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst who estimates that KZLA's format change could increase the station's revenue by as much as 50%. "Hispanic and urban stations hold their audiences better, probably because their listeners don't switch to new technologies quite so quickly as white audiences."

"The Los Angeles radio market is basically 40% Hispanic, 11% Asian and 8% black, and country fans are about 98% Caucasian," said Rick Cummings, a top executive at KZLA's parent company, Emmis Communications Corp. "My job is to attract as large an audience as possible. KZLA is now playing music that appeals to Hispanic adult women, and that will hopefully attract other suburban women of different ethnicities."

. There isn't much room for experimentation in modern radio."

~~~
    Sorry I quoted so much but it's very telling... a sort of reverse racism thing going on... catering to the growing non-white population. Sucks for those of us who don't like rap, hip hop, Spanish, etc. music.
    These are the quotes I referred to originally.

Two comments. 1) I understand the thinking in the sense that for many years now, top ratings and billing (so-called "traditional revenue streams" from commercials) have been dominated by Spanish language radio stations. If I owned an LA radio station and was interested solely in the bottom line, I'd own a Spanish language, or brokered-time Christian format (many of the programs heard on those stations are glorified info-mercials that bring in big bucks with little overhead).

But the thinking about the country audience is short-sighted. In all the years I talked to sales people and managers at KHAY, they always said that it wasn't only about ratings (although they still do very well there). It's also about the country audience - fiercely loyal, moreso than in any other format...meaning an easier audience to sell to satisfied advertisers, both local and national.

. There isn't much room for experimentation in modern radio."

Not with the programmers, consultants and bean counters running it these days.

The internet guys are like the terrrestrial radio guys of 50 years ago in that regard.

Long may they wave.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Well, you hit the nail right on the head, Barry.

Country radio listeners are fiercely loyal... almost tribal. (Yeah, I know, an ironic choice of words.) They listen to ONE station. They don't dial hop. It's even a little tricky for two country stations to exist in the same market. One will be the "real" one and the other will be the pretender. That happened when I was at KSON. A local rocker, KCBQ switched to country and tried to compete. At the time, a case could be made that they were actually a better station. KSON's dinky transmitter barely made it out of the parking lot. KCBQ was a 50,000 watt flamethrower.

It didn't matter. KSON prevailed because our audience viewed us as the real, authentic thing. KCBQ was seen as an upstart. They lasted barely a year before they changed format again.

Eventually, as AM music radio withered, KSON-AM was sold off. (It was actually a Disney station for awhile!) KSON-FM is still the only country station in San Diego... and is nothing short of a license to print money.

What a great niche that is now wide open in Los Angeles. Don't worry, country listeners. Somebody smart will exploit that niche real soon. The hotshots and players may laugh at the hicks and their steel guitars. The hicks will cry all the way to the bank!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

From today's LARadio.com...

KZLA Afternooner. Whitney Allen, afternoons at KZLA until Thursday, said that she has been receiving emails at the rate of 5-10 a minute. "I have tried to answer every one of them. Which is fine, as obsessing on that slows me down on obsessing on the rest of the situation, which goes far beyond me losing my job," emailed Whitney.

Whitney was filling in for Blair Garner on the syndicated After Midnite when she signed off the last Country station in New York quite a few years ago. "I was certain that someone would grab the Country music banner and run with it in the Big Apple before long. Well, a lot of people are still waiting. I hope and pray that Los Angeles does no suffer the same plight."
    Whitney continued: "The passion of these now mostly station-less listeners is OVERWHELMING. It is something that makes me sadder and more frustrated than I could ever have though possible.

In my two plus years at KZLA I have felt embraced by these Country music listeners more than I have felt in any of my other 25 plus years in radio."

"Whitney didn't start writing to LARadio.com to reminisce about the great times she had at KZLA. "I started writing in the hopes that someone will recognize the passion that is in the hearts and souls of these country music listeners. After Hurricane Katrina, KZLA asked listeners to fill a truck to take to the Gulf States, and what did they do? They filled a PARKING LOT. It was the first time in a long time that the generosity and compassion of listeners made me weep. They deserve a place to call Home."
    --Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I'm your huckleberry.

My thoughts on the subject:

1. LA's radio selection has got to be the worst of any major market area. I miss my San Diego radio stations.

2. The radio selection is so bad I don't even listen to music any more, I'm almost exclusively a talk radio listener with a few CD's thrown in for good measure. I'd listen to radio music more if there was a better variety.

3. Rick Dees is a no-talent a$$ clown who's days in the media should have been over when roller skating was big. I hated him in the early 80's and unlike wine, he does not improve with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• decorating

eeew, rick dees

I think he'a an old pervert.
    Never listened to KIIS when he was on

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

A single radio station doesn't have the luxury to be "multi-format" and try to be all things to all people. Many radio stations are hanging on for dear life trying anything just to stay alive. They have to focus on where they think the most money will come from. Whatever demographic studys show will pull in the most listeners, and hence the most advertising dollars, is where they will go.

Which is one of the main reasons I have satellite radio. Where I am I can pick up strong signals on maybe 3 stations.... and they all suck. I want to listen to music, not commercials... not DJ's who so love the own sound of their own voice that all they do is talk for 30 minutes between 6 minutes of music (apologies to any DJ's out there, seriously). I like more than one kind of music. I have almost 800 songs on my iTunes right now with everything from Classical, jazz, new age, country, trance, classic rock, alt rock, Native American, standards.... whatever my mood is.

Sure I have to pay for the satellite radio, but yes I AM paying for not having commercials to listen to, for having just about any genre to listen to I want, and to have DJ's that are usually a little more sutle or non existent depending on the channel.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-21-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    Which is one of the main reasons I to have satellite radio. Where I am I can pick up strong signals on maybe 3 stations.... and they all suck. I want to listen to music, not commercials... not DJ's who so love the own sound of their own voice that all they do is talk for 30 minutes between 6 minutes of music (apologies to any DJ's out there, seriously). I like more than one kind of music. I have almost 800 songs on my iTunes right now with everything from Classical, jazz, new age, country, trance, classic rock, alt rock, Native American, standards.... whatever my mood is.

Sure I have to pay for the satellite radio, but yes I AM paying for not having commercials to listen to, for having just about any genre to listen to I want, and to have DJ's that are usually a little more sutle or non existent depending on the channel.
    The more I see posts like this, the more I think satellite radio may be the way to go for me. I really like the idea of being able to tune into the type of music that suits my mood, weather that means some Japanese techno-pop, or South American drum beats. Something to think about, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    The more I see posts like this, the more I think satellite radio may be the way to go for me. I really like the idea of being able to tune into the type of music that suits my mood, weather that means some Japanese techno-pop, or South American drum beats. Something to think about, that's for sure.
    For me its worth every dime I spend on it, but then I'm a BIG music fan. I listen to music more than anything else, I almost never bother to even turn on the tv anymore... I put it on the "New Age" for commercial free background noise when I'm trying to sleep during the day for night shift. I listen to it anywhere in my house, and I can put the receiver in my car and listen to anything I want to on the road as well.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I had Sirius in my previous car for about 2 years and I loved it. Only downfall was that it cut out when I went into tunnels, under bridges, or inside my garage. I wanted to get it installed in my MINI from the dealer but they wanted $1000 for parts and labor. I luckily still have my other one from my last car (it's one of those that you can bring in the house, etc.) Just need the money to spend on it monthly.

Oh ksejr1, I agree with you completely. I can't stand country music but I don't really get why they're going to make a KIIS FM part 2 and bring back corny Rick Dees. He was bad and Seacreast is worse. Why have both of them on the air waves? I honestly can't listen to KIIS anymore because they play the same 10 songs every hour. Same problem with KEarth. You figure they would have tons and tons and tons of oldies to play...they have like 20-30 years worth of music to choose from but what do they play? The same old stuff. Beatles this, some other stuff, more Beatles, more other stuff, more Beatles. It's just too much Beatles.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

This is really unfortunate! I am a closet cowgirl and will tune the radio (yes, people do still listen to the radio for their music needs) to KZLA when I need a country fix. I had no idea it had changed until my boyfriend called abd basically said "WTF!?" I think it's called "Movin'" or something like that. It's just plain depressing...and I'm mad that they did it...Rick Dees needs to go to his country ranch and just stay there!

• Vehicle rotating backward

This whole thread is weird. KWNR gets the highest ratings in the Las Vegas market, and we lost a Sinatra And Friends lounge station to country last year. Older white folks (generally assumed to be the kind of folks who listen to country) complained loudly and another station took the Sinatra format instead because of the show of support by the retirement community crowd.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I didn't realize how out of loop I was on current music until I got satellite radio and started hearing so many new songs from artists that do not fit in the formats of regular radio in LA (and I'm just talking about standard rock music). I have found a whole new world of music again and just love listening to the radio again.

Sirius has 5 different country station and XM has 7. You think they're going to score a lot of new listeners in next few months?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast