Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

No More Country Music On LA Radio, Rick Dees Is Back

After 25 years, the last remaining country music station in the Los Angeles market, changed formats -

latimes.com...

Talk about your quick career shifts. At 10 a.m. on Thursday, Peter Tilden and Ashley Paige were still morning-drive hosts at KZLA-FM (93.9), billed as "America's most listened to country station." At 10:15, they were notified that the station's format was changing immediately from country to pop and that they were out of work.
    They've switched to a "rythmic adult contemporary" format, and longtime KIIS-FM host Rick Dees takes over as morning man at 93.9...

While KZLA is still streaming country music on its website, this move leaves the nation's top two markets, New York and Los Angeles, without any country music stations.

San Francisco's another major market without the format.

Personal comment - if you'd like to hear a well-programmed country station, which in my opinion KZLA wasn't, always...and you live anywhere between the Santa Clarita valley and Santa Barbara...check out KHAY 100.7 out of Ventura.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: No More Country Music On LA Radio, Rick Dees Is Back

That's amazing... but to one who has been in the radio business, not really surprising either. It's a shame that the very popular "Country" format can't find a welcome in Los Angeles. I guess it's just not hip and trendy enough. Rick Dees is?

OK, folks. Time to pass the hat. Dig deep. We're buying a frequency! This is the golden opportunity of a lifetime.

Oh, how I would love to own the only country station in Los Angeles!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    That's amazing... but to one who has been in the radio business, not really surprising either. It's a shame that the very popular "Country" format can't find a welcome in Los Angeles. I guess it's just not hip and trendy enough. Rick Dees is?

OK, folks. Time to pass the hat. Dig deep. We're buying a frequency! This is the golden opportunity of a lifetime.

Oh, how I would love to own the only country station in Los Angeles!
    For one thing, insiders are saying that the demographics of country music are "too white" for a market as "ethnically diverse" as Los Angeles...good luck with your efforts, Tom! At one point in time, we had 3 or 4 country stations in the market (admittedly that was 30 years ago and more)

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Grumpy old man

My mom is pretty upset about the diminishing country stations out of SF. If she wants country, she has to listen to KCAT which is in Sac or Froggy which is in Santa Rosa (both out of range in most of Vallejo and Contra Costa County). Clear Channel seems to think we need more Spanish stations.

• white and nerdy

Well... with the villain of regular radio gaining popularity it won't be long till you can get as many as 20 different types of country music.

Satellite radio is the future.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Senior Minion

Talk about your quick change, geez.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.
    I dunno 'bout you but I think thats hilarious

Problay going to use the avatar above during October, but Its soo cute I can't take my eyes away from it!

What do the mean?

Problay going to use the avatar above during October, but Its soo cute I can't take my eyes away from it!

ANd I'm alone

eep i can copy and paste avatars!

• Circle of Ancients

Does anybody actually listen to the radio for music anymore???

The ONLY time we listen to the radio is for traffic or 97.1.

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    For one thing, insiders are saying that the demographics of country music are "too white" for a market as "ethnically diverse" as Los Angeles...good luck with your efforts, Tom! At one point in time, we had 3 or 4 country stations in the market (admittedly that was 30 years ago and more)

--Barry
    Too white ?? sounds like racisim to me....
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

How unfortunate. However I didn't realize LA actually had a Country station. I assumed that like New York the demographcis were not good enough for a country Station, considering that there are no more Ray Charles and Charlie Prides popular in Country Music anymore. Closest you can get for something diverse in Country music is the Los Lonely Boys (really Tex Mex) and Cowboy Troy. I love Country musicbut the genre needs another Ray Charles to survive in the long term.

However nice to see rick Dees working again.

Sattalite radio looks like the place to go. I know. I am already digging it as a subscriber.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

What a shame! I'm not a country music fan, but the LA music choices on the radio seem to be getting more and more limited. There is just so much more out there than what they play on LA radio. Thank goodness for satellite and internet radio!

• Neep meep beep

Yes, I'm surprised as well. "Diversity" should mean more formats, not less, since there's more tastes to appeal to. I know Country was making a comeback 10+ years ago, but I guess that was shortlived.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast