• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"Disney: The Music behind the Magic" opens 11/5 at EMP

Disney: The Music Behind the Magic

Opening November 5, 2006

Nearly everyone is aware of the worldwide influence of Disney animation and theme parks, but few people realize that music is the foundation of the studio’s remarkable success.

On November 5, 2006, Experience Music Project (EMP) will present Disney: The Music Behind the Magic, the first museum exhibit to tell the story of how Disney has used music to hook audiences, drive its timeless narratives, and succeed in everything from cartoons, television, theme parks, and live-action films to Broadway and the Billboard charts.

Since it was founded in 1928, Disney has been creating some of the most memorable and timeless music in the American canon. But until now, no one has ever told the remarkable story of how critical music was - and still is - to its success. Disney: The Music behind the Magic explores Disney’s innovative use of music from the release of the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, Steamboat Willie, to the theatrical productions of Tarzan and Mary Poppins that debut on Broadway this spring and fall.

Click on a thumbnail for a larger image:

Exhibit includes:

More than 65 rare artifacts from the Disney archives, most of which have never before been on display, including animation storyboards, musical charts, rare recordings, sound effects equipment, Mickey Mouse Club outfits, and costumes from theatrical productions such as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King.

Five interpretive films, all of which are being made specifically for the exhibit and feature Disney artists and experts with excerpts of Disney films to illustrate key points:
    • The first film explores Disney’s innovative musical storytelling in its early animations, from Steamboat Willie to Bambi.
    • The second film examines the critical role of music in Disney’s animation renaissance in the late 1980s, starting with The Little Mermaid; it features filmed interviews with composers Alan Menken and Phil Collins, film critic Leonard Maltin, and other Disney historians.
    • The third film looks at the music and making of Mary Poppins, the pinnacle of Disney’s live-action musicals. It includes interviews with the film’s composer, Richard Sherman, as well as other Disney artists and experts.
    • The fourth film considers Disney’s musical legacy, exploring its influence and impact on popular music and culture
    • The fifth film is a 15-20-minute overview of Disney music shown in our theater and introducing visitors to the exhibit themes and narrative.
    Four exciting interactives designed to create hands-on experience for visitors of all ages:
    • Name-That-Disney-Tune is a game show in which four contestants or teams test their knowledge of Disney melodies, lyrics, composers and performers.
    • Sound Effects Challenge has four visitors work as a team and use Foley equipment to create and record the sound effects for one or two Disney cartoons, then watch the results to judge their future as SFX experts.
    • Remix Disney Hits is a chance for visitors to remix hit songs by Walt Disney Records artists and then compare their mix to the original release.
    • Become a Disney Star is a singing interactive in which visitors sing the lead vocals to a variety of Disney songs, with coaching on how to improve their performance.

http://www.emplive.org/exhibits/inde...D=164&ccID=168

• Senior Minion

Re: "Disney: The Music behind the Magic" opens 11/5 at EMP

Now that, i'd pay good money to see. It has something for everyone and the music is such an important part of Disney history. I would be so fasinated with everything this would have to offer, that would be worth paying a museum price for, and if ever given the chance, i'd go. Sounds amazing!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Shablagoo!

I am going to go to that. ANy DIsney experience I can get up here in washington is great.

• My laughing place

Wow..I am sooo jealous !! That needs to be a traveling exibit. Maybe it will be so popular thatey will take it on the road !!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Hey Melon -- we should start making plans for all the Puget Sound Micechatters to have a meet at EMP after this opens! I'm in!!

• I Hug My Tapirs

I'll be back up in Seattle by then! I'm excited for it, and I'd be all for a MiceChatters meet.

Is anyone else planning on going to the Disney Music Convention at EMP from Nov 3-5?? It hasn't been highly-publicized (I don't think it even has its own site) but it's definitely happening.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• ...TWO BITS!

Sounds like great fun!

For a second I thought some of this would be in DCA's Animation exhibit...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Pathetically Obsessed

I'm in!! Any other MiceChatters out there going? Any definite plans on meeting up?

• Curiouser and Curiouser

I'll defienatly go sometime.

• In Vinylland

Talking Re: "Disney: The Music behind the Magic" opens 11/5 at EMP

For those of you in the Washington state area (any anyone else), here is more information on the opening of the exhibit and the 3 day convention. This event is not to be missed!!

http://www.freewebtown.com/makeminemusic/

http://www.freewebtown.com/makeminem...istration1.pdf

http://mountainears.tripod.com/