• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Weinstein Co. buys 'Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing' documentary

Weinstein Co. buys Dixie Chicks docu

By Gregg Goldstein
    The Hollywood Reporter
    August 22, 2006

NEW YORK -- Barbara Kopple and Cecilia Peck's politically charged documentary "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing" has been picked up for worldwide distribution by the Weinstein Co. A release is tentatively scheduled for the fall, possibly right before the November elections.

The film revolves around the aftermath of singer Natalie Maines' statement at a 2003 London concert, where she said, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." It chronicles death threats, political attacks and radio boycotts against the band, and that could make the film a political hot potato as well as potential ammo should longtime Democratic party supporter Harvey Weinstein become involved in the fall political campaigns.

Asked why Cabin Creek chose to go with the Weinstein Co., Peck said, "They made a great offer," though no figures were disclosed. Such companies as Focus Features and Picturehouse expressed interest in the docu a few months ago.

Sources involved in the negotiations said some parties in the docu's camp wanted to screen the entire film for several indie distributors, while others only wanted a 15-minute highlight reel to be shown. Eventually only two final bidders were allowed to see a complete rough cut of the film: the Weinstein Co. and Sony Pictures Classics, a sister company of the Dixie Chicks' record label.

"I am extremely proud to be associated with this film because it's not only an outstanding and creative piece of work, but it also exposes our responsibility as Americans to confront our fundamental right to freedom of speech," Weinstein said.

Kopple said plans for a grassroots promotional campaign are still being discussed, and Peck said the film is likely to be a hot topic in the approaching elections. "It deals with freedom of speech, censorship and other important issues," Kopple said. "It looks at the cost of standing up for what you believe in."

The docu from Kopple's Cabin Creek Films still is being completed, but is set to be a Gala Presentation at next month's Toronto International Film Festival. In addition to chronicling the lives of Maines and bandmates Martie Maguire and Emily Robison, Kopple said the docu features clips from 15 of the Dixie Chicks songs and a new one written especially for the film, though no soundtrack is planned. "You definitely feel like you're in the front row of a Dixie Chicks concert," Peck said.

Weinstein Co. exec vp and co-head of acquisitions and co-productions Michelle Krumm brought the project to the studio. Krumm, co-president of production Michael Cole and executive vp business and legal affairs Barry Littman negotiated the agreement with CAA and Dixie Chicks manager Simon Renshaw on behalf of the band.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003020398
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Weinstein Co. buys 'Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing' documentary

Prickly Peacock nixes Chicks

NBC cancels ads for Dixie docu 'Sing'

NBC has refused to air ads for 'Shut Up & Sing.'

By Pamela McClintock, Josef Adalian
    Variety
    October 27, 2006

The Weinstein Co. is claiming that NBC and the CW have refused to air national ads for the new Dixie Chicks docu "Shut Up & Sing."

But while the Peacock has specifically said it won't accept the spots because they are disparaging of President Bush, a rep for the CW strongly denies the Weinsteins version of events.

Barbara Kopple's docu, which opens today in Gotham and L.A., revisits the fierce fallout that occurred in 2003 after lead singer Natalie Maines said she was ashamed that the president is from Texas, her home state.
    The national spot shows a clip of Bush authorizing troops to fight in Iraq, then cuts to a clip of Maines' comment. Next is a clip of the president saying publicly that the Dixie Chicks shouldn't have their feelings hurt if people don't want to buy their records anymore. The final frame shows Maines saying that Bush is a "real dumb (bleep)."

TWC wanted the national ads to begin running next week in preparation for the movie's expansion on Nov. 11. Company said it hasn't heard back yet from the commercial clearance departments at ABC, CBS and Fox.
    "It's a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America," Harvey Weinstein said in a statement. "The idea that anyone should be penalized for criticizing the president is profoundly un-American."

According to the Weinstein Co., NBC's commercial clearance department said in writing that it "cannot accept these spots as they are disparaging to President Bush."

TWC also quoted a rep from the CW as saying it had concerns that "we do not have appropriate programming in which to schedule this spot."
    CW communications topper Paul McGuire rejected that version of events.
    "That's not true," he said. "The spot was not declined. In fact, we were told they were not going to make a national spot buy on CW."
    An email exchange obtained by Daily Variety between a media buyer for TWC and a CW standards and practices rep seems to back that up. The CW reps asks the media buyer if "you have a buy with us for the Dixie Chicks movie?" The ad rep for TWC replies, "We do not currently have a national buy with CW."

The Weinstein Co. isn't facing a total blockade against its ad.
    Spot in question aired on the ABC-owned stations in New York and L.A. earlier this week during a broadcast of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" featuring the Dixie Chicks.

Ad has also aired on Peacock-owned stations in New York and L.A., as well as on CW affils in the same markets.

Earlier this week, CNN and National Public Radio said they wouldn't accept ads for the controversial film "Death of a President," about the fictional assassination of Bush. CNN said it had decided not to take the ads because of the "extreme nature" of the pic's storyline.

TWC said it will explore taking legal action.
    East Coast-based Peacock sales execs couldn't be reached for comment, an NBC spokesman said.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm your huckleberry.

I've seen the ad several times on ABC this week. It looks like an interesting film, and the fact that CBS won't air the commercials makes me even more likely to see the documentary.

Thanks CBS!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Ok, how do I find out where this is playing?? I have tried and tried and gotten NOWHERE!! It's supposed to be open in L.A. now.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

AMC Century City 15
    10250 Santa Monica Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    (310) 289-4AMC
    http://www.moviewatcher.com/theatres...n.jsp?unit=245

http://www.weinsteinco.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Now the question is how far am I willing to go? Will it open in more theaters here when it goes out to general release?

Thanks for the info.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...