• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Executive's goal is to inspire cast at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel, 8/22/06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

Q: Your predecessor, Lee Cockerell, often talked about the need to inspire front-line employees to create magic. What's your strategy for doing that?

A: To me, inspiration starts with validating that they play a very critical role. My job, and the job of my leaders, is to make sure the hourly cast members are not just empowered but feel great about the jobs they perform. That involves talking regularly to them, seeing them on the job, helping them on the job.

Q: Are we likely to see more outsourcing of some services such as hotel custodial operations?

A: I think what we're always going to be doing in operations at Walt Disney World is continuously looking at how to run this as effectively and as best as we can. Our goal is to be the best service provider in the industry, and we'll be continuously improving in order to do so.

Q: With no plans for any additional parks here in the known future, the pressure must be on for maximizing operations to provide for long-term growth. How will that be done?

A: What operations has to concentrate on each and every day is creating the very best guest experience each and every day. We know that our guests will have the positive experience here, and when they do they recommend Walt Disney World to their friends and families. That's our mission and that's our job, to create that good guest experience, so that positive word-of-mouth brings us future visitors.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Executive's goal is to inspire cast at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel, 8/22/06

Love the "outsourcing" spin. "Improving" the profits or the service?

The outright "ignore" button must have been keyed for the last question. She answered it like a true citizen of Stepford. (Interesting that it's about a "good" guest experience, versus "better" or "best".) Just being snarky
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Re: Executive's goal is to inspire cast at Disney World - Orlando Sentinel, 8/22/06

^^What a fetid pile of BS. ... She sounds like a typical Disney exec. Totally unable to answer a question directly.

• time to go

Inspiring cast members? Oh yeah... she's watching their backs:

"To me, inspiration starts with validating that they play a very critical role. My job, and the job of my leaders, is to make sure the hourly cast members are not just empowered but feel great about the jobs they perform. That involves talking regularly to them, seeing them on the job, helping them on the job."

What about PAYING them a premium wage for the premium service they provide to the premium guests that are paying premium prices for being in a premium resort that you claim Disney is providing?

I swear, it's like listening to a Yugo car dealer.

A used Yugo car dealer.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville