Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by captveg
    Films superior to previous adaptations of the same source material:

The Thing
    Peter Pan (2003)
    I enjoyed Cruel Intentions much more than Dangerous Liaisons even though both are in my top 10 fave flicks. Both were adapted from Les Liaisons dangereuses.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• The Uber Film Geek

woah woah, when the heck did a fistfull of dollars get remade? im a huge fan and never heard of it. unless youre talking about yojimbo.
    I'm talking about Yojimbo. Like both films a lot, but FoD a bit more.

However, Yojimbo got remade again as Last man Standing.

Hook is the model by which all films which attempt to "revisit" source material should be judged!
    Couldn't disagree more. Hook, while it has some good moments, is a mess in many respects.

I totally disagree on HP- POA as being superior. I can not see why anyone thinks that movie was the best. Events happened in the wrong places, scenes were butchered by the screen writers and important info was totally left out.
    It's a fair complaint, but I didn't find it a troublesome issue. Some things left out that will be important to Goblet of Fire will be brought up in Goblet of Fire, and the other changes from the novel did a good job of showing things to you instead of telling them to you, which is what my main beef with the first wo films was - it followed the book too strictly. It's a film, not a book, and you have to use that medium.

And this is from someone who's favorite book in the series is Prisoner of Azkaban.

As for Star Wars films, I'm just gonna post this and let it speak for itself.

1. ANH - 10/10
    2. ESB - 10/10
    3. AOTC - 8/10
    4. TPM - 7/10
    5. ROTJ - 7/10
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Phew glad I wasn't the only biting my tongue! I was sorely disappointed with this film and am highly nervous for the next. The tone and art direction of the last film was more stylish but better? I dunno about that.
    Don't get me wrong- I loved the movie, mostly because I LOVE Harry Potter- but the things they left out should have been in POA not GOF! They butchered the Shrieking Shack scene- and the whole Firebolt thing was totally out of place.

•   
    • Minion

As for Star Wars films, I'm just gonna post this and let it speak for itself.

1. ANH - 10/10
    2. ESB - 10/10
    3. AOTC - 8/10
    4. TPM - 7/10
    5. ROTJ - 7/10
    Attack of the Clones was better than Return of the Jedi, eh?

I don't know if I can agree with that...
    Check out my other blog:

• /sigh

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree that Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, and especially Mummy Returns was considered better than the first. I also feel Fellowship of the Rings was the best, followed by RoTK, then Two Towers.

I agree that Desperado was MUCH better than El Mariachi, and the third (i can't even remember the name) was horrible.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    I also feel Fellowship of the Rings was the best, followed by RoTK, then Two Towers.

LOTR... I think everyone in the series had flaws... Fellowship had a real truncated plot with no climax (which is in the book mind you), Return had a gaping slow moving denumont and not a big enough character transition when Aragorn desides to take the mantle of his birthright... Towers is more complete though it's climax is a false climax...

The series is much better in extended edition... Scenes begin to make more sense... and you have to keep the whole three films in the same context of eachother...
    Check out my other blog:

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound

The series is much better in extended edition... Scenes begin to make more sense... and you have to keep the whole three films in the same context of eachother...
    Very true. The extended films are much better. The three films really are beautiful, as a whole, not just three separate films.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• On Autopilot

I liked Oceans 11 and the italian job. A movie that will WHOMP ALL MOVIES however will be the third Star wars movie

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959
    A movie that will WHOMP ALL MOVIES however will be the third Star wars movie
    I dunno about that, but Revenge of the Sith looks to whomp all over Attack of the Clones.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• șoș Tom șoș

Couldn't disagree more. Hook, while it has some good moments, is a mess in many respects.
    Find me a better "revisit" film. That said I have a sinking suspscion that Spielberg's next "revisit" film will be a terriable nightmare. War of the Worlds set in modern times. We had a great version of this in the mid 90's called Independence Day, even used the modern twist of a "computer virus." I love the original story and the Mercury Theatre broadcast and still truely believe it should be set at or before the industrial revolution- add a lot of dramatic tension and made the ending that much more surprising.

• Doing it with a flair

I loved Hook when I was younger but the more I watch it the less I enjoy it. It's not a bad film it's just very uneven in my opinion.
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

• The Uber Film Geek

Find me a better "revisit" film.
    I already mentioned two.

And as Emelius says, it's not a bad film, but rather a film with scenes next to each other that are night and day in quality.

My friend Ernest Rister has this summary of why Hook as issues, and I'm inclined to agree with him:

What a heartbreaker. The film is actually a re-make of MARY POPPINS. The final shots of HOOK even directly tip the hat to Disney's masterpiece about parents taking the time to love their children (parents and children gaze skyward as a small fiure sials [sic] over the skies of London).

HOOK contains a masterful exposition (including the goose-bump raising performace of Maggie Smith as Wendy) but as soon as the film arrives at the very place where it should soar, it collapses onto itself by the sheer weight of the production. How can anyone fly under production designs this busy -- this heavy?

The film soon gives way to a land-locked, over-the-top, noisy battle not between Peter and Hook...but between two sets. NeverLand has always been an Island of the imagination rich in limitless possibility. Here, NeverLand is only two very unconvincing locations...a pirate ship docked next to a small town, and the Lost Boys lair at the foot [of] a massive tree. Its not Never-NeverLand, its Never-NeverSet #1 and #2. Where is the rest of the Island? Too expensive to build and shoot? And why, when we do see it, is it rocky and barren, like a desert? Where's the forests? The jungles? This is one film that should have been shot as planned...on locations in the Caribbean.

Its no surprise that the best moments in the film come from the spontaneous on-set inventions of Spielberg, Williams, Hoffman and Hoskins. Some personal faves are Williams take on the Lost Boys hideout ("What is this, some kind of 'Lord of the Flies' pre-school?"), the baseball player shot for stealing second, and Hoffman and Hoskins shuddering at the mention of the "L-word".

In fact, there are some marvelous scenes (Hook's treatise on "Why Parents Hate Their Children" is wonderful, as is the loopy baseball game) but unlike Superman, Hook never convinced me its hero was flying, never convinced me Peter Banning was Peter Pan, and why the movie had to take time out for a love scene between a full-sized Tinker Bell and Peter Pan can only be chalked up to cynical screenwriting, trying to entice an a-list actress to take the part.

The worst things about Hook? The final fifteen minutes, which drag out interminably, the production designs, the script which locks the story to two confining sets, and Julia Roberts' dreadful performace as Tinker Bell. ("I'm not a bug, I'm a fairy..." she mournfully pouts, like some c-grade actress on some damned soap opera).

Ah, yes -- and one last thing. If you saw HOOK in Dallas, Texas for a surprise sneak preview in late November of 1991, you got to see something no one has seen since...a musical number that breaks out in Celebration of Hook and the Coming War, while Peter is under water, and fed Oxyen by mermaids and taken to a "shellevator" to the Lost Boys camp. That scene was cut at the last minute, and my God is it noitceable [sic]. Tone is a tricky thing in a film. With this edit, the film seems to lurch from one frenetic moment to another. When everything is set at the same frenzied pitch, you become exhausted and bored as an audience member, and finally just want to put your fingers in your ears to shut out the noise.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• Disney Memory Maker

My favorite sequels
    1) Harry Potter CoS (Azkaban is my second favorite in the series)
    2) Return to Neverland (yes, I liked this better than Peter Pan...imo it has better music, animation & story)
    3) Toy Story 2 (much better than the original)

Sequels I have high hopes for
    1) HP IV
    2) Pirates: Dead Man's Chest
    3) Konk's New Groove
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• șoș Tom șoș

I already mentioned two.
    I would argue Last Man Standing and Fist Full of Dollers are certaintly not revisits rather they are remakes. Revisit from my persepective are few and far between. Taking exsistant chracters and showing them down the line but without the feeling of a sequel. Like an evolution piece rather than a progeny of the orginal material.

Also I find your friend's critique to be very, well laiden with the perspective of a mature all seeing adult who has little time or respect for the art direction of this film. As a child (and still as an adult) I think it was marvelous and is in fact one of the greatist strengths of the film in my humble opinion.

The only sizable arguement I would agree with would be plot to some exstint and performance. The greatist weakness to this piece is the pseudo-freudian sexual tension from Julia Robert's Tinkerbell and William's Pan. The moment in the clock is the weakest in the entire film and breaks the tone of the whole piece.

let us just pray to whoever is up there that they continue the land before time franchise. forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast