• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Guardian' begins Coast Guard Station Tour in Alameda, CA - ABC NEWS 8/30/06

Costner and Kutcher promote their new movie,
    'The Guardian' at California Coast Guard Station

Actor Kevin Costner, left, and fellow actor Ashton Kutcher, stand at the podium as they speak at the Coast Guard Station, in Alameda, Calif., Monday, Aug. 28, 2006, to honor Coast Guardsmen, from left, Kristopher McGhee, Jason Bundy and Dennis Moyer, who had rendered exemplary and heroic service during the past year. The actors finished a movie called "The Guardian", which has the Coast Guard as a central theme.
    (AP Photo/Dino Vournas)
    ALAMEDA, Calif. Aug 29, 2006 (AP)—
    Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher visited a U.S. Coast Guard station to promote their new film, "The Guardian," about two Coast Guard swimmers who rescue fishermen and boaters from dangerous ocean waters.

Costner told the assembled "Coasties" during the first stop of a planned multistate tour of Coast Guard stations that actors "are not nearly as impressive in person as we seem to be on film."

"We get to portray these men and women who are often tougher than we are, men and women who are often smarter than we are, and in the case of `The Guardian,' we are talking about men and women with the personal courage to put themselves in danger in a way I don't know I would," the 51-year-old actor-director said Monday.

Costner plays a veteran Coast Guard swimmer sent to teach in Kodiak, Alaska, after his crew is lost in a crash. Kutcher's character is a cocky newcomer.

Kutcher, 28, said he hoped the movie would give the public more appreciation for the Coast Guard's "courageous and honorable" work.
    "When I first read the script, I thought it was all made up because I didn't think anyone got to be that cool," he said.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...C-RSSFeeds0312

'The Guardian' from Touchstone Pictures in theatres September 29th
    http://theguardian.movies.go.com/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'The Guardian' begins Coast Guard Station Tour in Alameda, CA - ABC NEWS 8/30/06

Movie stars salute Coast Guard

By BRUCE WESTBROOK
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    August 30, 2006

Hollywood heroes met real-life heroes in Houston on Tuesday, as stars Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher of Disney's upcoming The Guardian joined ceremonies honoring Coast Guard members for their Hurricane Katrina rescue efforts one year ago.

"There's probably no safer place on the planet than here," Costner told about 100 Coast Guard members and their families at the Coast Guard Air Station's hangar at Ellington Field. "I feel pretty secure just looking around here."
    try{OAS_AD('Middle');}catch(e){}Screened Monday in Houston for the media and members of the Coast Guard, The Guardian, opening Sept. 29, stars Costner as a veteran Coast Guard rescue swimmer who prepares Kutcher's character and others for the swimmers' elite corps of about 300 members. The film was within six weeks of starting production in New Orleans when Katrina hit the city. Operations were moved north to Shreveport, La.

Director Andy Davis said many Coast Guard members were advisers and participants in the film, and most were diverted "to go help rescue people" when Katrina hit.

"We tried very hard to honor what you do," Costner said of the production, then added humbly, "and we don't think for a second that we are you."

At the ceremonies, Capt. Norm Schweizer recognized three Coast Guardmen for their efforts. They included Aviation Survival Technician 3rd Class David McClure and Lt. Sean O'Brien, who were on one of the first aircraft responding to the hurricane. They assisted in saving 224 lives. Also honored was Lt. Cmdr. Tim Barelli, who also was among the first rescuers and led a crew that saved 108 lives.

Schweizer called it "the largest mass-rescue operation in Coast Guard history."

Joking that "there's something about a military base that makes you feel like you need a haircut," Kutcher said he felt "weird" to be standing on a stage "looking down to people I look up to."
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4150629.html