• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Edvard Munch's "The Scream" & "Madonna" paintings recovered

From: http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/9771209/detail.html

Police Recover Stolen 'Scream,' 'Madonna' Paintings

Famed Munch Pieces Stolen 2 Years Ago

POSTED: 4:06 pm EDT August 31, 2006

OSLO, Norway -- Two art world masterpieces have been recovered, two years after being stolen from a museum in a daring raid.

"The Scream" and "Madonna" were both painted by Edvard Munch.

They'd been on display at a museum in Oslo, Norway, until August 2004, when masked men swooped in and grabbed them.

Three people were convicted of the thefts in May, but the paintings had been missing until now.

Oslo authorities said they were recovered in what's described as a police action. Police described the two paintings as being in better condition than they'd expected.

"The Scream" is a fairly well-known work of art, showing a waif-like figure apparently screaming or hearing a scream. It's become a modern icon of human anxiety.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Edvard Munch's "The Scream" & "Madonna" paintings recovered

That's wonderful news!!!!

Although the line in the story "Police described the two paintings as being in better condition than they'd expected." makes me a little nervous. What condition are they in????

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Good point Hyperbole. I hope they are as good as they were before they were stolen. But I hear that priceless items like that can be devalued when people touch them. I hope, hope, hope that these paitings have not lost value. But if they have, I really hope they did not lose much value.

Maybe a report will be released in the next few days or so describing the paintings value. I hope that they still remain priceless pieces of arts.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

That really makes me mad that someone would just STEAL something like that. WHo does that?

Erg...

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Good point Hyperbole. I hope they are as good as they were before they were stolen. But I hear that priceless items like that can be devalued when people touch them. I hope, hope, hope that these paitings have not lost value. But if they have, I really hope they did not lose much value.

Maybe a report will be released in the next few days or so describing the paintings value. I hope that they still remain priceless pieces of arts.
    Unless you're talking about paper degrading because of the oil on human hands, touching something will not devalue it.

My concern is that the theives did not take proper care of these paintings and that they may have been damaged in some way because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Good point Hyperbole.

MissViolet, I also think it is quite stupid to do so. But there are thieves out there who are bent on pawning off classic art pieces just to "get rich quick".

• Neep meep beep

I heard this earlier today, and this is good news. Really, with high profile paintings, there's no way you can ever really get rid of them - a red flag would go up immediately once someone put the word out that they were for sale.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    That's wonderful news!!!!

Although the line in the story "Police described the two paintings as being in better condition than they'd expected." makes me a little nervous. What condition are they in????
    And I think that "better condition than they'd expected" refers to this (from abc.com):

"During the hunt for the paintings, Norwegian news media reported that they might have been burned to get rid of evidence."

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

The last time "The Scream" was stolen, it was pretty badly damaged. At least it is probably in one piece.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I heard this earlier today, and this is good news. Really, with high profile paintings, there's no way you can ever really get rid of them - a red flag would go up immediately once someone put the word out that they were for sale.
    I'm thinking that there is a strong possibility that this is what happened. In view of the fact that the two paintings were not recovered until after the thieves were caught, I would further venture to say that the thieves mat well have sold them...hopefully to a patron of fine art.

Word of the paintings being for sale and/or having been sold would have accomplished more than to raise red flags. it would have shot red flares into the air, saying "HERE I AM - RESCUE ME!"
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

The only kind of person who would buy a stolen piece of art would be so rich that s/he wants the art simply so that no one else can have it. They want it to know that no one else can look at them but him.

But art stolen like this is hard to get rid of because you can't find someone who would actually be able to buy it. This was probably done to prove they could do it. Last time, "The Scream" was found in a trunk somewhere because the theves couldn't move it.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

BRILLIANT!

M&M's(R) Promises to Honor Two Million Dark Chocolate M&M's(R) Reward In Celebration of the Return of Munch Masterpiece 'The Scream'

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J., Aug. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Just days after M&M'S(R) announced a sweetening of the pot for the return of the stolen Edvard Munch masterpiece, The Scream, the painting has reportedly been recovered in Norway.

Last week, the brand announced a reward of two million dark chocolateM&M'S (R) candies for the painting's safe return as part of its promotional campaign to introduce M&M'S(R) Dark Chocolate Candies. A new M&M'S (R) printad features "Red," the M&M'S(R) character, unexpectedly playing hopscotch in the background of "The Scream" and demonstrating that 'dark just got fun.' The ad, which brings a bit of levity and sense of humor to the famous dark existential painting, was launched on the two year anniversary of the painting's theft.

"We chose to feature The Scream in the campaign because it is one ofthe world's most recognizable dark paintings," said Anibal Martini, M&M'S(R) Brand Marketing Director. "We're obviously delighted that the painting has been recovered and we're absolutely going to honor our offerof the reward."

Martini said that specifics won't be determined until the painting isauthenticated and the reward can be coordinated with the police in Oslo,which was where the masterpiece was found after it was stolen two years agofrom the Munch Museum.

Two million M&M'S(R) Dark Chocolate Candies translates to approximately40,000 1.69 ounce bags with a retail value of about $22,000.00. SOURCE Masterfoods USA
    http://www.prnewswire.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006