• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It Was 40 Years Ago Today (Well, Last Week) That The Beatles Played L.A.

With the recent interesting threads about the Beatles appearing here, I thought I'd create a separate one to commemorate the 40th anniversary, a few days ago, of the Beatles last concert...at Candlestick Park, San Francisco.

Just one night before, the Fab Four appeared at Dodger Stadium...with an interesting tale of the events of that night, on the website bearing the name of the first owner of the "Los Angeles" Dodgers, a man still reviled in Brooklyn I'm sure...walteromalley.com.

Here's just a bit of the remembrance of what it took to get them out when the show was over...Their first plan, to have them taken out in a Brinks armored truck in one lot, was foiled...

The promoter was staying right with The Beatles at the time. We get them back into the Dodger clubhouse. Then we decided we’ve got only one area now and we’ve got to try to get them down through the tunnel, up the stairs and into that ambulance. The Beatles are starting to cooperate pretty good, because they are a little frightened.
    “Now, we get them up and in the ambulance and we had two security guards we placed in the ambulance with them to kind of make sure to hold the doors. Here comes the ambulance and you’ve got your red lights and siren going. As the doors opened, the people kind of stepped back and the ambulance went right on through. They got over to Gate B exit at Scott Avenue. Two kids swung one of those paddles that closes the gate. They pushed it and the ambulance driver hit that. Well, that hit the headlight and knocked the battery. The battery ends up in the fan of the ambulance and it starts to overheat. They get them over to Elysian Park, where the baseball diamonds are at. So, now we get a call that that’s where they are stuck. We jump in our cars and head over there. By this time, we are calling for another Brink’s truck. The guy in the Brink’s truck in Lot B with the flat tires had his company send a driver from headquarters to Elysian Park. It must have taken a half hour. The Beatles are sitting right there in this ambulance under the palm trees in the park!
    Can you imagine...we'll never see anything quite like that, again...

--Barry

Interesting side note...the promoter was Bob Eubanks, who back in the day was an "11-10 man" for KRLA radion, and this would have been 2-3 years before the debut of the Newlywed Game on TV.

Also, it's pointed out on the site that before Dodger Stadium opened in 1962, O'Malley stressed that he wanted a clean, family-friendly ballpark.

He had the pay visits to...you might have guessed it, Disneyland...to see how it could be done.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 09-03-2006 at 08:00 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today (Well, Last Week) That The Beatles Played L.A.

With the recent interesting threads about the Beatles appearing here, I thought I'd create a separate one to commemorate the 40th anniversary, a few days ago, of the Beatles last concert...at Candlestick Park, San Francisco.
    I have a great bootleg of that show!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Just one night before, the Fab Four appeared at Dodger Stadium...with an interesting tale of the events of that night, on the website bearing the name of the first owner of the Los Angeles" Dodgers, a man still reviled in Brooklyn I'm sure...walteromalley.com.

Here's just a bit of the remembrance of what it took to get them out when the show was over...Their first plan, to have them taken out in a Brinks armored truck in one lot, was foiled...

Can you imagine...we'll never see anything quite like that, again...

--Barry
    Never say never, Barry. As the song says, They keep coming in and out of style. But, they're guaranteed to raise a smile. Seargent Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band!!!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

No... I believe we'll never see anything as crazy as Beatlemania. Some acts have come close but let's face it. For the 7 years they were around, they literally ruled the world. They broke the mold after them.