•   
    • Minion

This Fall's Film Slate...

Is it my imagination or does this fall's film slate leave much to be desired?

Walt Disney Pictures:

Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney Digital 3D)
    Santa Clause 3

Touchstone Pictures:

The Gaurdian
    The Prestege
    Deja Vu
    Apacalipto

Who hears the crickets chirping in Jim Cook's office?
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: This Fall's Film Slate...

Here's how it looks to me:

NBC 3-D - wildcard

Santa Clause 3 - there's a # in the title for a reason. With over $300 million under the franchise's Christmas tree in box office & home ent. already means there's a sizable family audience already in line for this.

The Guardian - male & female and split-age group appeal, $60 million domestically projected at least

The Prestige - Seen the trailer? Can't wait. Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and It Girl Scarlett Johansson from Director Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, Insomnia, Memento). Sign me up.

Deja Vu - 2-time Academy Award winner Denzel Washington in a Jerry Bruckheimer film (Fishbulb - close your eyes for a sec...). Their previous collaborations for Disney were 'Crimson Tide' and 'Remember The Titans',
    they have an idea as to what they're doing and the studio will make this a hit.

Apocalypto - Mel Gibson's latest film should do well in spite of and partially because of recent events. He's a more than solid filmmaker with a long career's worth of goodwill.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-06-2006 at 01:38 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post

NBC 3-D - wildcard

Santa Clause 3 - there's a # in the title for a reason. With over $300 million under the franchise's Christmas tree in box office & home ent. already means there's a sizable family audience already in line for this.

The Guardian - male & female and split-age group appeal, $60 million domestically projected at least

The Prestige - Seen the trailer? Can't wait. Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and It Girl Scarlett Johansson from Director Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins, Insomnia, Memento). Sign me up.

Deja Vu - 2-time Academy Award winner Denzel Washington in a Jerry Bruckheimer film (Fishbulb - close your eyes for a sec...). Their previous collaborations for Disney were 'Crimson Tide' and 'Remember The Titans',

Apocalypto - Mel Gibson's latest film should do well in spite of and partially because of recent events. He's a more than solid filmmaker with a long career's worth of goodwill.

NBC - in 3-D will also have a tribute album with songs redone by todays more popular bands!

"This guy!"

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Is it my imagination or does this fall's film slate leave much to be desired?
    Not just you. I didn't see a single movie on that list that I'm even remotely interested in seeing.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post

NBC 3-D - wildcard

Well here is how I see it...

NBC 3d - limited release: a good idea actually for what has become according to film critics as a "new" holiday classic. But still it is a limited release as there is not enough digital projectors that can support DD3D

Santa Clause 3 - Tim Allen is a tired and not so bankable star anymore... he couldn't carry the Shaggy Dog... what makes you think he is going to do it here?

The Gaurdian - Kevin Cosner is in the same boat as Tim Allen, maybe more so... His delivery is so wooden... Which was once seen as a novelty, but we haven't seen any movies by him for a reason... The success of this film is hiding Cosner's talent and yet trying to use his name to sell the film...

The Prestege - Another period piece about magicians... whoop de do...

Deja Vu - Buckenheimer and Denzel Washington can't save this film from entering the halls of Washingtons other obscure action flicks... a dime a dozen... yawn...

Apocaplipto - The bad press on Gibson will intensify like it did recently to Tom Cruze... However Disney has nothing to lose distributing the film as they didn't finance any of it... I am thinking that the obscure mayan plot line combined with what seems to be missmarketing... and bad press about Gibson will disappoint many... Not a blockbuster... can anyone say Waterworld?
    Last edited by cellarhound; 09-06-2006 at 04:01 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The Prestige looks so good. I'll definately be seeing it. As for the rest - not too interested..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Dont forget that David Bowie is also a main charecter in The Prestige. You know the Goblin King from Labyrinth!

• keep moving forward...

the guardian supposedly broke the record for a touchtone pictures opening...hmmm...this fall is kinda dull for movies

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Well, keep in mind that "Meet the Robinsons" was supposed to be the big family holiday release, but it got pushed to spring.

Tim Allen may be "tired" but "The Santa Clause" is a popular franchise and part 2 inexplicably performed very very well. I could see that one going either way.

"The Prestige" looks fantastic. I'm glad Disney is taking a chance on that kind of film. If you want Disney to foster relationships with creative talent, then doing a Christopher Nolan film is a good move.

"Apocalypto" is apparently getting good early buzz from these secret screenings and Mel's personal problems will only help publicize a film that was going to be difficult to publicize.

"Deja Vu" -- I have no idea what will happen to this, but it is Bruckheimer/Tony Scott/Denzel so it's not a bad bet for Disney.

And don't forget that Miramax is heavily pushing "The Queen" which has gotten some good notices as well.
    Last edited by Doopey1; 09-27-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    the guardian supposedly broke the record for a touchtone pictures opening...hmmm...this fall is kinda dull for movies
    The recent spots were actually promoting how well the film was received during last week's nationwide "sneak previews", the film opens Friday 9/29.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    Hasn't opened yet...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

The media event of Disney's Fall Winter is likely to be the DVD release of the Little Mermaid...

How many wanna make a bet that they will break records with this release?
    Check out my other blog:

• Lonestar Louisianian

The media event of Disney's Fall Winter is likely to be the DVD release of the Little Mermaid...

That would be a sucker bet. Disney's gonna get my money for sure on this one!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Little Mermaid has been released on dvd, once already.
    I don't think sales are going to be as big this time.

• Banned User

Disney, like other studios, has been cutting back on film production due to several years of overspending and only a few really big hits. Plus, the economy's in a general slump, and Disney's had a pretty decent year so far; I mean, POTC 2 made over $1 billion, nothing to complain about. Plus, there have been some films pushed back, and others not yet in production. Every studio, now and then, has a light season.

Personally, I'm intrigued by Apocalypto, and have been since I first heard of the project. While Gibson's recent drunk driving bust and the anti-Semitism charges made big headlines and were unfortunate, I see no reason to hold the director's personal actions against the rest of the production company. It looks like it might be a very good film, in fact. As for Deja Vu, it's got Denzel Washington and is directed by Tony Scott, and was co-written by POTC co-screenwriter Terry Rossio, all dependable for good filmmaking. I saw the trailer and I'm hooked! The Prestige also looks amazing, and has a really solid cast. Plus, director Christopher Nolan hasn't made a bad film yet.

The Guardian looks like it might be a good film, but it also seems kinda corny, so, I don't know.

I never saw the other two Santa Clause films, so I doubt I'd see this one. Not that I mind them, though. I figure eventually I'll see them.