• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'HOLLYWOODLAND' - our MC reviews

This film was originally titled, 'Truth, Justice and The American Way' but it's really about the Hollywood way, then and now. 'Hollywoodland' features a very strong performance from Ben Affleck, and great work from Adrien Brody, Diane Lane and Bob Hoskins. Brody plays a variation of Hoskins' Eddie Valiant in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' and Hoskins plays a real-life character, Eddie Mannix. Diane Lane as his wife is divine. Also very good in smaller roles are Molly Parker from Deadwood and a good guy, Dash Mihok as a LAPD Detective. He and Brody were both featured in 'The Thin Red Line' a few years back. The costumes (glorious dresses, casuals, suits and tuxes) of the era are perfect, as is much of the production design and locations.

It's always fun to see the bygone glamour era of Hollywood's past from Ciro's, The Ambassador Hotel and such. (BTW drove by the Ambassador today, all that remains is the parking entrance signage and the frame of the main building, it looks like a huge skull in a vast dirt lot. So, so sad.)

Spoiler

There are a couple of Disneyland mentions in the film (The Indian Village!) as well, really quite an unexpected treat.

The story is a still intriguing mystery, the film offers some insight into some clues and possible answers. See it and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-08-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: 'HOLLYWOODLAND' - our MC reviews

I'm really interested in this movie, even after only seeing one commercial on TV a couple nights ago. I'd love to hear some other reviews to help me decide if this is worthy of seeing at the theatre or waiting for the DVD (I'm not much of a theatre-goer).

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• "Always On The Move..."

Really mixed feelings on this one. My sister is adopted (was adopted at an older age) and her Godfather was George Reeves aka Superman. She still has memories of being with him on the set (in his Superman costume) and he would hold her over his head and run, telling her to hold her arms out in front of her so she could "fly." Can you imagine having Superman as your Godfather. She said that she just loved being with him. That he was always so wonderful to her.

She and her bio-dad were on their way to visit George and listening to the radio when he suddenly turned off the radio and turned the car around. When they got back to the house, he told her that George had died and they wouldn't be able to visit him anymore. (We/she still keeps in touch with her bio-siblings and extended family, she was the only one that had George as a Godfather).

She has always felt that he was murdered. We saw the trailer the other day, and it was very hard on her. So, we won't be going to see it. "You know they aren't going to get it right." But, it is hard on her seeing this. It is interesting, "Superman" was her Godfather, and "Superman" (Chris Reeves) was a friend. So, if you guys see it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks..

Stichers
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Happy Memories

I've been reading mixed reactions from those that have seen it, but I'm still curious. I think it's deffinitely a rental for me, but the marketing is doing a good job of getting me intrigued.

• Married and happy again!!

I would like to see this one cause I was a fan of George Reeves work and I have always had a real intrest in his story. I will likely wait to rent it though cause films keep going up in my area so it has to be really special for me to spend the money to see it in theaters.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I am very much interested in seeing this movie. I am a little too young to have seen the "Adventures Of Superman" in first run, but I certainly grew up seeing the reruns in the early 60's and onward.

It is a bizarre part of our culture that someone makes it big as a certain character, and then sometimes when times change, people allegedly can't accept that person playing any other role.

Adam West, for example, had the same problem following the Batman series.

I'm going to try to see this film. Jim Svejda, a critic on KNX radio in Los Angeles whose opinion I respect...gave the film high marks all around and said...Oscar season has started.

I like films of the "film noir" period, and I am told that this has that kind of feel.

Hope to see it this weekend.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Really mixed feelings on this one. My sister is adopted (was adopted at an older age) and her Godfather was George Reeves aka Superman. She still has memories of being with him on the set (in his Superman costume) and he would hold her over his head and run, telling her to hold her arms out in front of her so she could "fly." Can you imagine having Superman as your Godfather. She said that she just loved being with him. That he was always so wonderful to her.

She and her bio-dad were on their way to visit George and listening to the radio when he suddenly turned off the radio and turned the car around. When they got back to the house, he told her that George had died and they wouldn't be able to visit him anymore. (We/she still keeps in touch with her bio-siblings and extended family, she was the only one that had George as a Godfather).

Stichers
    Wow. How old was your sister when she was adopted? I've always thought it was great to adopt older children and it is nice that she has been able to stay in touch with her siblings and family.

George Reeves died before I was born so I only know him from reruns, etc. but most of what I have read indicated that he was a very nice man. I know that I read an interview with Noel Neil recently that said she had spoken to him the day before he died and she did not believe that he killed himself.
    I am interested in seeing this movie as I am interested in the story but I don't know if I will be able to make it to the theatre. I will be checking back to see what people think.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

She has always felt that he was murdered. We saw the trailer the other day, and it was very hard on her. So, we won't be going to see it. "You know they aren't going to get it right." But, it is hard on her seeing this. It is interesting, "Superman" was her Godfather, and "Superman" (Chris Reeves) was a friend. So, if you guys see it, please let me know what you think.

Thanks..

Stichers
    I meant to say this in my other post...that's a very interesting story, AlohaStitch! Thanks for sharing it!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing with us.
    'Hollywoodland' isn't a documentary.
    This is a film focused on a night in June 1959 and leading up to it. As with the films, 'Chinatown', 'L.A. Confidential' and next week's release, 'The Black Dahlia' (the latter two based on James Ellroy's books) fictional characters interact with real people in order to tell a story.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "Always On The Move..."

Older adoptions are awsome. Even in the teens. Nothing like wanting a sister (who happened to be my best friend also) and got one. So, I got to have my best friend as my Sis (and she still IS my very best friend).
    '
    Back to Hollywoodland. From what I just read, it looks like the director is trying to cover all possibilties for the death. Murder, suicide, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I saw the movie last night, and I had a mixed reaction to it as well. It was very well done, and I loved Affleck's performance. But I think there were just too many loose ends to have told a successful story.

Spoiler
    The movie builds up this great "murder mystery," and at the end seems to give up on that.

If I had the choice, I don't know that I'd see it in the theatre again.

ETA: It is very noir, though, and I enjoy those movies as well.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Interesting article:

BEHIND THE SCENES: TRUE-LIFE TALES
    Who Shot TV's Superman?

George Reeves' death was ruled a suicide, but suspicions of foul play continue 50 years later.

By Robert W. Welkos
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    September 15, 2006

Nearly five decades have passed, but the mystery of George Reeves' death still lingers in Hollywood.

Did the charming, husky actor who starred in the popular 1950s television series "Adventures of Superman" commit suicide in 1959 with a single gunshot to the head? Or was he shot accidentally? Or was he murdered on the orders of then-MGM studio executive Edgar "Eddie" Mannix, whose wife, Toni, had been having an affair with Reeves?

Those questions form the splintering plot-lines of director Allen Coulter's noir-like film "Hollywoodland," which re-creates Reeves' early TV superstardom as the Man of Steel — and the difficulty a typecast Reeves had in finding work after the series left the airwaves.
    full article at: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

Older adoptions are awsome. Even in the teens. Nothing like wanting a sister (who happened to be my best friend also) and got one. So, I got to have my best friend as my Sis (and she still IS my very best friend).
    '
    Back to Hollywoodland. From what I just read, it looks like the director is trying to cover all possibilties for the death. Murder, suicide, etc.
    That's so cool! Wait, your best friend was legally adopted into your family when you were teenagers? I'm sorry, I guess I'm confused. But still awesome.

NRBF