• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Hong Kong Disneyland facing unexpectedly tough competition from Ocean Park - AP

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland facing unexpectedly tough competition from Ocean Park - AP

And Hong Kong Disneyland has no apparent plan to expand within the coming years? Why do they think that it's the market that doesn't make HKDL work? They need to build those signature Disney attractions that belong in a Disneyland. It's serisouly lacking and they aren't doing anything about it. Let's build another park in Shanghai or show more Mickey Mouse cartoons isn't go to do it. Market the hell out of it. Change around the ticket prices. It won't work nor will the people be impressed until they see what Disney REALLY has to offer. They are going to get crushed by the competition in the long term if they don't act soon. And at the premium prices they are asking for at the bare minimum, people will brush it off and go the more cost-effective and attraction and show oriented park just across the way. There really is nothing to entice visitors to return. Am I wrong in this?

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland facing unexpectedly tough competition from Ocean Park - AP

They don't really have a Disneyland. They got margerine.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    And Hong Kong Disneyland has no apparent plan to expand within the coming years? Why do they think that it's the market that doesn't make HKDL work? They need to build those signature Disney attractions that belong in a Disneyland. It's serisouly lacking and they aren't doing anything about it. Let's build another park in Shanghai or show more Mickey Mouse cartoons isn't go to do it. Market the hell out of it. Change around the ticket prices. It won't work nor will the people be impressed until they see what Disney REALLY has to offer. They are going to get crushed by the competition in the long term if they don't act soon. And at the premium prices they are asking for at the bare minimum, people will brush it off and go the more cost-effective and attraction and show oriented park just across the way. There really is nothing to entice visitors to return. Am I wrong in this?
    I think you're right on the mark.
    I said this before the park opened that I thought it was built "on the cheap" and that the attendance figures were going to show it.

• Banned User

The attendance figures have shown on every single "cheap" theme park they have built. The public doesn't like them, they create constant headaches, and Disney has to defend themselves every single time this has happens. They were warned about DCA, WDSP, and HKDL, but they didn't listen and pushed on. And every single time the park opens, what is the response? NOT enough to do. Sure Tokyo DisneySea has had disapointing attendance, but how many people have you heard complain about how disapointed they were with the park?

I have no intention of traveling to Hong Kong to see the park. I can see everything in pictures. So why would I pay all that money to go see a half-assed Disneyland? I would rather spend the money and travel to Disneyland Paris to see the attention to detail that everyone praises the park for. And that right there speaks volumes as to why Disneyland Paris actually had a chance and Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't (if they don't do anything with it). If they let the park fester in it's current state, it will ware down with age and have nothing to offer.

Disney really needs to pay attention to this. They have ALL the time in the world to build another park in Shanghai. They really do. But they only have so much time to save HKDL before it's too late.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 09-10-2006 at 03:07 PM.

I don't think starting small itself is a problem, but I think HKDL's attitude when it opened created tons of problems.

The idea of starting small is to gauge visitors' response and then build the attractions that they want. If HKDL started big, not only will it open later (therefore less income for expansion), it might also find that 1/2 the attractions are not wanted and need to be demolished to make way for other ones.

But when HKDL opened it had the attitude like "I am here to save HK's tourism industry once and for all, everyone bow to me now!". This kind of attitude don't make friends, particularly when HKDL started small. (It might have worked if the entire WDW was built there...) No wonder the media went for its throats.

It should have said, 'we have started small to get a feel for what Chinese people like, it is not big but this is a long term project and we will expand it. What we add really depends on the responses we get, so pls do let us have your feedbacks. In the meantime, enjoy this park and tell your friends about us.' or something like that.

Also HK people are very proud of their achievements (justifiably so), but HKDL seems to have come in, built 1/2 the park and asked us to pay entry fees higher than the larger Ocean Park. I bet they never knew Ocean Park existed when they designated the ticket prices.