• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

40 years of Star Trek - The Original Series is being enhanced with new effects

Starting September 16th, a classic show will be shown with enhanced CGI effects, and other changes, such as the music in stereo...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/...}&cmsSrch=true

"We're taking great pains to respect the integrity and style of the original," says Michael Okuda, who spent 18 years as a scenic-art supervisor on Star Trek films and spin-offs. "Our goal is to always ask ourselves: What would Roddenberry have done with today's technology?" Okuda's teammates on the two-year project are his wife, Denise Okuda, with whom he's authored several Trek reference books, and 14-year Trek production vet David Rossi.

The upgraded episodes — to be shown out of order and one per week — will kick off with "Balance of Terror," a big fan favorite "that gives us a chance to really show off the ‘new' Enterprise," says Okuda. "The exterior of the ship now has depth and detail, and it will fly more dynamically." (Click here for a larger version of the image at left.) Painted backdrops will also be brought to life: Once-empty star bases will have CGI people milling about, while static alien landscapes have been given slow-moving clouds and shimmering water. Okuda notes that a view of Earth in the 1966 episode "Miri" has been "replaced with a more accurate image, now that we've gone into deep space and looked back at ourselves."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: 40 years of Star Trek - The Original Series is being enhanced with new effects

Interesting idea. On one hand I have a fondness for the original version and the campyness of it. It was a hallmark of the time it was created in, and I think they will always stand on their own merit.

However, seeing the original with enhancements done with the current technology should be interesting, and I look forward to seeing them.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Married and happy again!!

Re: 40 years of Star Trek - The Original Series is being enhanced with new effects

I don't know I liked it just fine as it is. This sounds to much like Lucas. Hope they don't mess with the Klingons and leave them alone no need to make them look like they would later on in the movies and other series that would follow.
    Glad I will be able to get my original theatrical releases of SW on Tuseday.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Shablagoo!

As long as the Gorn doesn't shoot first, I'll be ok with it.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    As long as the Gorn doesn't shoot first, I'll be ok with it.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Lucas wannabes.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Some of it doesn't seem so bad, (like bloopers, updating Earth.)

This doens't seem like what Lucas did, they are not adding scenes, just adding people, etc.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In the LA area, the series will air Sundays at Midnight (Well, technically Monday Morning at 12:05 AM) on Channel 4.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I guess I'd better weigh in on this. I like the idea.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• Rock Star Minion

Sounds like more DVDs to sell, eventually. The ones at Costco are still too expensive.
    I catch it on G4 (some cable channel). I prefer ST:TNG. The background white noise puts my wife to sleep.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is a Trekkie site that has a list of all the US Stations airing the TOS series with the enhancements, along with the time shown.

http://trekmovie.com/tos-in-hd/hdtv-...s-channel-list

As long as they leave the tribbles alone....

I prefer TNG anyhow.

(did I just come out of the ST closet?)
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Still lost in Neverland

How strange that the network that had to be forced to continue the show past a first season is going to show this updated version. But are they doing this as revenge or hoping it will just fail? I mean, Sunday/Monday night/morning at 12:05am? Who can stay up that late when Monday is a work/school day? Sound like they want it to go away. Typical.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• back in Austin

Interesting. I'm watching through Babylon 5 now (for the first time) and can't help but wonder how the show would have been with better actors and a bigger effects budget (although the makeup really is pretty amazing). That would be an interesting show to see redone.

• Still lost in Neverland

It depends on which season of Babylon 5 you are on. The first season had a rather wooden captain who was replaced by Bruce Boxliener for the remaining 4 seasons. There are some surprises in the later seasons that I won't spoil for you, but to me this show is the best Science Fiction TV show ever done. Once it gets going it just becomes amazing. The acting gets so much better and the story brings true Science Fiction to the forefront. Michael J. Strazinsky wrote 98% of every script for the entire 5 year run. That is an amazing accomplishment for any TV show. But, please take you time with this show, stick with it, and when the 5 year story is finished, you will wish it could go on and on. Don't bother with the sequel though. It was not very good. B5 is hands down my favorite TV Science Fiction Show of all time.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples