Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disney Boycotts Organized in Response to "Path to 9/11"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Boycotts Organized in Response to "Path to 9/11"

Should work for about a week until people find something new to complain about.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

As much as I disagree with people distorting truth, I don't disagree with it to the point I would boycott Disney. Especially Disneyland.

But I guess the big question is how hard will Disney be hit with this altercation?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Disney Boycotts Organized in Response to "Path to 9/11"

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    As much as I disagree with people distorting truth, I don't disagree with it to the point I would boycott Disney. Especially Disneyland.

But I guess the big question is how hard will Disney be hit with this
    I don't think it will be very hard.

National Geographic has a really insightful piece on 9/11 that my parents and I watched about a year ago - and the ended up buying it. Not sure if I mentioned it, but my Dad and MOm knew the pilot of the plane that crashed into the Pentagon.

I have met a few people that were in the South Tower who work for the New York sector of my company.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

It doesn't look like ABC's 9/11 docudrama made much of a ripple. In the overnight ratings, it tied with the repeat of CBS's real 9/11 documentary, but both got trounced by the Colts/Giants game on NBC.

I question whether as many people would've watched The Path to 9/11 (making it fall farther behind CBS) if there hadn't been such an uproar.

A boycott is kind of irrelevant. People didn't watch. That's boycott enough.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    It doesn't look like ABC's 9/11 docudrama made much of a ripple. In the overnight ratings, it tied with the repeat of CBS's real 9/11 documentary, but both got trounced by the Colts/Giants game on NBC.

I question whether as many people would've watched The Path to 9/11 (making it fall farther behind CBS) if there hadn't been such an uproar.

A boycott is kind of irrelevant. People didn't watch. That's boycott enough.
    Which further pushes my belief that most Americans just flat out don't care.

It probably didn't help that there were no commercial breaks in the 3 hour film.

I don't see why people should boycott Disney or any company over this. It's a dramaticization, and warnings came up all through the airing that explained so.

• Rock Star Minion

Wow, so you have extreme conservative fundamentalists boysotting Disney at the drop of a hat (here, I'll drop one: "Gay Days!!!").
    Now the left-wing has joined in to protest because of this.

I agree that it is futile (a waste of time and effort) to boycott and that ratings will be punishment enough.

If ABC shows a program and no one watches, does it make a sound?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post

It probably didn't help that there were no commercial breaks in the 3 hour film.

I don't see why people should boycott Disney or any company over this. It's a dramaticization, and warnings came up all through the airing that explained so.
    There's a difference between creating a fictional story with imaginary characters that uses real events as a backdrop and what "Path to 9/11" did. The mini-series shows real people doing things they did not do.

Even with the three disclaimers, audiences would find it extremely difficult to separate the fact from the fiction in the mini-series. And, while the show did not draw much of an audience, the presentation still will occupy five hours of prime-time network television by tonight. Disney's broadcast license is a privilege that represents a public trust, and I believe the company abused that trust with this presentation, which strangely was aired commercial-free.

Disney spent more than $40 million on the production and is presenting it without advertising for five hours in prime-time over two nights all to jeopardize the goodwill associated with the Disney and ABC trademarks and endanger the broadcast licenses of ABC and its affiliates, plus invite a consumer boycott. Who actually paid for this?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Bingo.

Count me among those who don't wish to relive the events of five years ago (some need to, and that's fine--it's a personal choice). I've tried not to tune in to the constant rehashing of events that we're being force fed this week and it's getting tiresome.

The furor over The Path to 9/11 is a tempest in a teapot. The docudrama will be long forgotten before the real events of 9/11 stop resonating.
    Last edited by disneytim; 09-11-2006 at 02:57 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney spent more than $40 million on the production and is presenting it without advertising for five hours in prime-time over two nights all to jeopardize the goodwill associated with the Disney and ABC trademarks and endanger the broadcast licenses of ABC and its affiliates, plus invite a consumer boycott. Who actually paid for this?
    Annual Passholders. :

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think that there is just too much 9/11 stuff on all the time. I mean for months on end this year there has been movies made, re-runs of 9/11 broadcasts aired for the last few months on stations like History Channel & A&E, etc. I think it is just a bit to much.

• Self service witchdoctor

I love the Idea. Boycott the Parks! let's hope the line for "Peter Pan" and "Dole Whip" will now be tolerable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

So... according to the petition... the only fictions were those that depicted Democrats in a bad light? This production was a hatchet job by "right wing Republicans" meant to scare the public into voting conservative? Otherwise, it was 100% accurate?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Man of Logic and Reason

As a matter of fact, they only cut about 70 seconds of footage from the film in response to Democratic uproar. They checked their facts with the 9/11 commision report and other sources. I found out that Iger was even threatened to have his broadcasting licence taken away if he aired the film. If you need any more proof of left wing media bias then you're crazy. The events discussed about missing chances to take down Bin Laden during Clinton's administration really happened and people like Madeliene Albright were in part responisble. Good for Iger and not being afraid to pull this off the air. If Disney can produce Fahrenheit 9/11 then why can't they use half of their docudrama to tell what really happened under Clinton's administration.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdack View Post
    As a matter of fact, they only cut about 70 seconds of footage from the film in response to Democratic uproar. They checked their facts with the 9/11 commision report and other sources. I found out that Iger was even threatened to have his broadcasting licence taken away if he aired the film. If you need any more proof of left wing media bias then you're crazy. The events discussed about missing chances to take down Bin Laden during Clinton's administration really happened and people like Madeliene Albright were in part responisble. Good for Iger and not being afraid to pull this off the air. If Disney can produce Fahrenheit 9/11 then why can't they use half of their docudrama to tell what really happened under Clinton's administration.
    I must be missing something then. Exactly what proof did this anti-democrat rant provide that proves media bias?

It would appear that, if anything, airing this fiction dispels the myth of liberal media bias, doesn't it? It was paid for by a supposedly left wing media corporation and aired without commercial interruption. How on earth could that have happened?
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast