• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Carrey & Carrell to star in CG animated, "Horton Hears a Who"

Carrey, Carrell cast in CG 'Horton'

By Sheigh Crabtree
    The Hollywood Reporter
    September 13, 2006

Jim Carrey has been cast as Horton and Steve Carrell has been cast as the mayor of Who-Ville in Dr. Seuss' "Horton Hears a Who" a new CG animated feature film announced by 20th Century Fox Animation on Tuesday.

Carrey, who previously inhabited the world of Dr. Seuss as the title character in Universal Pictures' hit "The Grinch," will voice the role of Horton, the elephant who knows that a person's a person, no matter how small.

"Horton" marks the first time Carrey will lend his voice and talent to bring a CGI animated character to life.

Carell will voice the mayor of Who-ville, a distinguished figure of a very small size, too small to be seen by the elephant's eyes.

"Horton" is about an imaginative elephant who hears a cry for help coming from a tiny speck of dust floating through the air. Suspecting there may be life on that speck and despite a surrounding community that thinks he has lost his mind, Horton is determined to help.

The film verson is based on the classic book, first published in 1954, by Ted Geisel, who wrote under the pen name Dr. Seuss. Seuss books have sold more than 200 million copies, and have been translated into fifteen languages.

"At the heart of the movies that we make are the characters, and in Horton, Geisel has created a character with an unwavering moral center, a charming innocence, and a selfless willingness to protect others, even at his own expense," said Chris Meledandri, president of Twentieth Century Fox Animation. "Geisel had one of the greatest imaginations of the 20th century, and Jim Carrey's extraordinary talents are a wonderful match to Geisel's vision. Steve Carell will not only be bringing his great comedic abilities to the role of the mayor but also his uncanny gift of finding the humanity in every character he plays."

"Horton" is being produced at Fox Animation's Blue Sky Studios, whose recent "Ice Age: The Meltdown" grossed $650 million in worldwide theatrical boxoffice.

Jimmy Hayward and Steve Martino are directing "Horton" from a script adaptation written by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio.

The executive producers are Audrey Geisel, Chris Wedge and Chris Meledandri, and the producer is Twentieth Century Fox Animation production executive Bob Gordon. Twentieth Century Fox Animation VP John Cohen is overseeing the project.

Carell, who won the Golden Globe and was Emmy-nominated for his role in the Emmy-winning sitcom "The Office," starred in the blockbuster film comedy "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and is currently starring in "Little Miss Sunshine."

Fox Animation is also currently in production on "The Simpsons Movie," scheduled for release July 27.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003121011
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Why do you keep talking?

Re: Carrey & Carrell to star in CG animated, "Horton Hears a Who"

Let's hope this turns out better then Cat in the Hat!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Let's hope this turns out better then Cat in the Hat!
    Well, this one is fully animated and it doesn't have Mike Myers, so that's a better start right there.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Aww, this is one of my all time favorites cartoons! I'm excited about this.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Minion

Let's hope that they don't do to this story what they did to The Grinch and The Cat in The Hat. Ron Howard and company completly missed the mark on both those movies. Horton Hears a Who has such a important message, I hope they don't mess that up.

• out & about

I love this book. Dont blow it!

Fox animation makes me nervous! why does everything these days have to be CG? Im getting tired of it already.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Happy Memories

Saw the first image from the film this morning. If I get a chance later I'll try to post it (unless someone else wants to save me the effort). It's a shot of the Mayor who will be voiced by Steve carrell. Looks good. Totally keeping with the style of Suess' artwork.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post

Fox animation makes me nervous! why does everything these days have to be CG? Im getting tired of it already.
    because we are living in the present and not the past. Might as well ask why do all the movies have sound and color.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Im so in.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Horton' shakes off the dust

Updated 9/14/2006 10:31 AM ET

Blue Sky Studios
    The Mayor (Steve Carell) in the upcoming Horton is handsome in a classic Seussian fashion.

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

With the help of a couple of A-list celebrities, Horton soon may be hearing ringing cash registers along with the Whos from that tiny speck of dust.
    Jim Carrey and Steve Carell provide the primary voices for the big-screen adaptation of Horton Hears a Who!, which gets its first look here.

Horton Hears a Who, due March 14, 2008, will be the third film adaptation of a book by Ted Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss. And so far, the ventures have been money in the hat, er, bag.
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas, also starring Carrey, raked in a cool $260 million in 2000. In 2003, The Cat in the Hat, starring Mike Myers, did $101 million.
    Both films, however, took heat from some critics and fans for employing live action as opposed to the traditional animation that made both stories hits on television in the late 1960s and early '70s.
    Chris Meledandri, head of 20th Century Fox's animated division, says that Horton will not employ any live action, though it will use computer-generated animation by Blue Sky Studios, which also did Ice Age.

"I certainly was aware of some fan criticism that had occurred" with the live-action films, Meledandri says. "But this will be all animated, and true to the style of Ted Geisel. I think our (animation) and our artists will transport an audience into this man's imagination in a way that hasn't been done before."

Carrey, who is doing his first voice for an animated film, will play Horton, an elephant who hears the cries from a tiny civilization living on a speck of dust. Carell will play the mayor of Who-ville.
    "Every single person working on this film has a deep personal connection with the story," Meledandri says.
    "That's the most important thing in getting his story right."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...rst-look_x.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006