Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Memory Maker

Disney prizes: Worth $17.4 million- Orlando Sentinel- 9/19/06

Article from the Orlando Sentinel- September 19, 2006
    Disney prizes: Worth $17.4 million
    Disney prizes: Worth $17.4 million
    Cruises, world tours of all Disney theme parks, Mickey Mouse ears, shopping sprees, nights in Cinderella Castle, time-share condominium leases, commemorative pins: These are a few of the things that Disney's million dreams are made of.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has announced 1,250,000 prizes with a combined value of more than $17.4 million that will be given away through Walt Disney World and Disneyland starting Oct. 1, when the company's 14-month "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign begins.
    Full Story: Disney prizes: Worth $17.4 million

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Disney prizes: Worth $17.4 million- Orlando Sentinel- 9/19/06

If found this part to be interesting...

"Completely random. Completely unbiased. Completely luck of the draw," Potrock said. "What we created was a mathematical model, a randomizer, that will select the different dream giveaways each and every day.

"It gets into detail like, it'll be the fourth person to walk through the exit of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at 3:01 p.m.," he said, describing a hypothetical selection. "And we've even gone so far as to say, if two people are walking through the doorway at the same time, it's the person on the left."

Winners will be split between those visitors who show up on Disney properties, and those who send in postcard entries.

To avoid spontaneous scenes of envy and disappointment among nearby people, major prizewinners won't be told what they won on the spot.

"We're not going to announce that in front of hundreds of other people who were so close," Potrock said. "We're going to celebrate later in the day by putting those people in as grand marshals in the parades."

And here is the breakdown of the prizes and their value

High Value (Worth more than $5,000)

60 prizes, or .0048% of the prize pool (Approximately one in every 1.25 million guests (or mail in postcards) will win a high level prize) Total ARV, $914,233

Mid Value (Worth between $160 and $587)

1186 prizes, or .095% of the prize pool (Approximately one in every 63,238 guests (or mail in postcards) will win a mid level prize) Total ARV, $509,375

Low Value (Worth less than $25)

1,248,754 prizes, or 99.9% of the prize pool (Approximately one in every 60 guests (or mail in postcards) will win a low level prize) Total ARV, $15,988,869

So you have $16 million worth of Dream FASTPASSes, After Hour events, Mouse Ears, Pin Lanyards and photos, and $1.4 million of the better prizes.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Pilot EdForceOne

Hopefully this finally silences some of the 'free churro' posts slamming the campaign.

Some of these are some serious prizes.. free DVC, grand marshall tour, etc.

Are they giving away a million top dollar prizes? Of course not.. but who ever expected such non-sense? The fastpass 'pass' and being a parade marshall is a great suprise those most guests would be happy to get alone.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Hopefully this finally silences some of the 'free churro' posts slamming the campaign.

Some of these are some serious prizes.. free DVC, grand marshall tour, etc.

Are they giving away a million top dollar prizes? Of course not.. but who ever expected such non-sense? The fastpass 'pass' and being a parade marshall is a great suprise those most guests would be happy to get alone.
    1. What they are worth, is not what they paid for them... Most are set at a premium price already... I am not really impressed by there number, it is actually still an inexpensive promotion to give stuff away.

2. The fast pass is the basis of the campaign, which make this to be more a simple promotion more than anything else... This number of prizes per park seems low to me... But the only alternative is for them to be cheap about what they give away.... Not that I dream of pins or a lanyard... which I don't. Nothing says "thank you" being handed something from a company that cost them 10 cents a unit and having someone tell you it is worth $25 bucks...

3. "a Million Dreams" means 1 out of 60 visitors... Some how the prize number seems low and the odds are high don't you think? That is a LOT of unfulfilled dreams... I would spend some money on dreams everyone can enjoy...
    Check out my other blog:

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    1. What they are worth, is not what they paid for them... Most are set at a premium price already... I am not really impressed by there number, it is actually still an inexpensive promotion to give stuff away.
    Yes, some things don't cost them anything (fastpasses) but those are also things you CAN'T buy. Just as the article says.. somethings you can't get with money.

I think you are too hung up on monetary value vs. getting a prize. Most people are happy to win ANYTHING.. not 'what.. this prize stinks!'.

2. The fast pass is the basis of the campaign, which make this to be more a simple promotion more than anything else...
    IT IS PROMOTION.. helloooooo its a marketing campaign! Marketing is not about 'we have A, B, and C'. Its about promoting what you have.

This number of prizes per park seems low to me... But the only alternative is for them to be cheap about what they give away.... Not that I dream of pins or a lanyard... which I don't. Nothing says "thank you" being handed something from a company that cost them 10 cents a unit and having someone tell you it is worth $25 bucks...
    Who is telling them their prize is valuable? No one. The promotion is about suprises.. not how much its worth.

3. "a Million Dreams" means 1 out of 60 visitors... Some how the prize number seems low and the odds are high don't you think?
    Uhh no. 1 in 60 is GREAT odds. That's better then any raffle you'll ever be in.. and just think next time you are sitting in queue and think that probably 2-3 people from that queue alone will win that day. That's pretty good odds.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Yes, some things don't cost them anything (fastpasses) but those are also things you CAN'T buy. Just as the article says.. somethings you can't get with money.

I think you are too hung up on monetary value vs. getting a prize. Most people are happy to win ANYTHING.. not 'what.. this prize stinks!'.
    Whoop-de-do.

IT IS PROMOTION.. helloooooo its a marketing campaign! Marketing is not about 'we have A, B, and C'. Its about promoting what you have.
    Promotion comes in other ways than prizes for you X-millionth guest...

It is also about promoting what you have that people are not utiliziing to its fullest (read DCA).

Who is telling them their prize is valuable? No one. The promotion is about suprises.. not how much its worth.
    Then focus on the suprises rather than prizes...

Uhh no. 1 in 60 is GREAT odds. That's better then any raffle you'll ever be in.. and just think next time you are sitting in queue and think that probably 2-3 people from that queue alone will win that day. That's pretty good odds.
    Not really 1 in 60 is not all that good when you look at normal comp systems many businesses have in place which give back from 5 to 10 % of every dollar spent provided that you are spending a certain amount of money...

This is also a promotion...

Prizes don't grab me, because your chance of losing is greater than your chance of winning so you focus more on the value of what you are buying and tune out prizes.

Whoop de do da de.

-------

Now having said that... has it occured to anyone that this magic fast pass may be a test implementation for a vip pass like they have at Universal? Just a thought...

If it doesn't mess things up, why not sell it?

Check out my other blog:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

As for the 1 in 60 odds, they aren't so hot as compared to other contests.

Lottery Scratcher Tickets have a winner about 1 in 7 (the higher priced tickets have better odds than the $1 version)

The Fast Food contests usually have odds around 1 in 12 (such as the McDonalds giveaways)

The Pepsi and Coke look undr the bottle cap contests are also about 1 in 12.

Back when Disneyland did this 30 years ago, the odds were 1 in 30 for the Gift Maker contest, which is very similar to this campaign. But they also gave away a car per DAY, while this contest, they are giving away a high level prize less than once per week, so for Disneyland, that means that a big prize winner will happen about every 3 weeks, and most of those prizes are worth less than a new car. (Half the high level prizes are worth $5,200).

Last October, Disneyland gave away a car a day, plus many Annual Passports...

So as compared to prior Disneyland contests, and comparing it to the contests listed above, the odds are not so hot...

And what do you win, many folks will win either the Dream FASTPASS or an extra hour at the park.

But many folks don't understand the basic FASTPASS system, how will these folks deal with a Dream FASTPASS... And how about when only a couple of folks in the group win the Dream FASTPASS (since they will be handed out in batches), will the folks even use them (since it is only good for the winner), or just stay with the group.....

Or folks in WDW that are told, you don't have to leave the park at 6 PM tonight, feel free to stay until 7 PM.... How many of these folks will have other plans such as Dinner reservations, and won't use the prize?

Or the Dream Ears, I can't wear Mouse Ears, since I have a large head (hat size 7 3/4)....

There are a lot of problems with this promotion

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    As for the 1 in 60 odds, they aren't so hot as compared to other contests.

Lottery Scratcher Tickets have a winner about 1 in 7 (the higher priced tickets have better odds than the $1 version)
    For which prize? the free ticket? (no value.. you simply didn't LOSE on the ticket) and that's typically in the 1 in 4 range.

The Fast Food contests usually have odds around 1 in 12 (such as the McDonalds giveaways)
    I dunno.. I'd actually look at the odds charts. Not that flattering for actual prizes (ignore the best buy bucks which are just coupons)
    http://codeentry.promotions.com/monopoly/us/rules.do

1 in 55,241 for lowest 'instant prize' odds. I didn't see food prize odds in my quick scan, but obviously those are much much much lower (in the 1-4 range probably)

So as compared to prior Disneyland contests, and comparing it to the contests listed above, the odds are not so hot...
    How long of a duration were the previous contests you are referencing.

But many folks don't understand the basic FASTPASS system, how will these folks deal with a Dream FASTPASS... And how about when only a couple of folks in the group win the Dream FASTPASS (since they will be handed out in batches), will the folks even use them (since it is only good for the winner), or just stay with the group.....
    How do you know they can't take multiple people on the same fastpass? Like you can today with a Parent Swap pass? No way Disney wouldn't let a group with the winner go on the ride. They'll limit it of course so people don't bring 10 of their friends. Also on the 'understand' comment. Don't you think the person GIVING them the award would explain it to them? They will get personal attention when they get the prize, I think that will help the comprehension problem.

Sometimes I feel you can't even give stuff away...

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The Gift Giver was a year long contest to celebrate Disneyland's 30th Birthday.

The Honda Giveaway was a one month contest last October (gave away 31 cars)

As for the Dream FASTPASS, I read the Official rules.

http://adestinations.disney.go.com/m...RLYOMDRulesEng

From the Appendix

Each prize consists of: one (1) lanyard with one DREAM FASTPASS badge valid on the day prize is awarded that grants the winner one-time access to the FASTPASS return line at a time selected by the winner during that day's normal operating hours for each of the FASTPASS attractions in the {Selected park(s)} open on that day. DREAM FASTPASS is subject to terms and conditions as specified by Sponsor. ARV of each prize" US$5.00.
    So the Lanyard will either have pull off tabs, or a place to punch a hole that shows that the attraction has only been used once.

One of the reasons they decided to hand out things like the Dream FASTPASS in batches was to try and help this problem. For example (as per paragraph 3a in the Official Rules) they will hand out the Dream FASTPASSes in groups (Batches) of 100 or so, such as the first 100 people to exit the Haunted Mansion starting at 11:34 am. So what happens if part of your group is ahead of you when they start giving them away, or at the end of the group... and maybe only a few members of the group went and rode Haunted Mansion.... As I said, problems.

Now, if they gave away snack vouchers, that would be better. If you have dietary restrictions, you could pick the treat of your choice. And if you were the only winner in the group, you could share the treat.

But that would cost Disney money, both in the actual treat, and the loss of the expected revenue, since there is a good chance you won't buy a treat from the ODV since you just got one for free.....

•   
    • Minion

The Gift Giver was a year long contest to celebrate Disneyland's 30th Birthday.

The Honda Giveaway was a one month contest last October (gave away 31 cars)

As for the Dream FASTPASS, I read the Official rules.

http://adestinations.disney.go.com/m...RLYOMDRulesEng

From the Appendix

So the Lanyard will either have pull off tabs, or a place to punch a hole that shows that the attraction has only been used once.

One of the reasons they decided to hand out things like the Dream FASTPASS in batches was to try and help this problem. For example (as per paragraph 3a in the Official Rules) they will hand out the Dream FASTPASSes in groups (Batches) of 100 or so, such as the first 100 people to exit the Haunted Mansion starting at 11:34 am. So what happens if part of your group is ahead of you when they start giving them away, or at the end of the group... and maybe only a few members of the group went and rode Haunted Mansion.... As I said, problems.

Now, if they gave away snack vouchers, that would be better. If you have dietary restrictions, you could pick the treat of your choice. And if you were the only winner in the group, you could share the treat.

But that would cost Disney money, both in the actual treat, and the loss of the expected revenue, since there is a good chance you won't buy a treat from the ODV since you just got one for free.....

And here is another problem... How do they keep the fast pass from being non transferable?

I mean you don't want it to be transferable, because you don't want people selling them in the park... Or do you?
    Check out my other blog:

• Pilot EdForceOne

If they are one-time use.. they are pretty lame. Unless its one of those days where FPs are out by noon.. bleh.

One of the reasons they decided to hand out things like the Dream FASTPASS in batches was to try and help this problem. For example (as per paragraph 3a in the Official Rules) they will hand out the Dream FASTPASSes in groups (Batches) of 100 or so, such as the first 100 people to exit the Haunted Mansion starting at 11:34 am
    So what happens if part of your group is ahead of you when they start giving them away, or at the end of the group... and maybe only a few members of the group went and rode Haunted Mansion.... As I said, problems.
    It states batches, not how they give them out. I think this batch model will be used for when groups are together.. Like imagine if they gave everyone in this showing of Beauty and the Beast they gave them the extra hours pass, etc. Or if they gave everyone in the pre-show of a certain ride an award, etc.

• Disney Memory Maker

Prizes don't grab me
    Guess what? You're not the target audience for this promotion (neither am I). The marketing campaign (like all of their marketing campaigns) are meant to target the other 95% of the population who aren't disney dweebs.

1 in 60 odds sound great to me.

Yeah, and how many of those are $1 winners? And scratchoffs are a completely different game. Those you actually have to buy (and the $1/$2 winners don't really give you anything. They just refund the price of the ticket.

And how many of those are 'you get a free Fries *with purchase'?

And what do you win, many folks will win either the Dream FASTPASS or an extra hour at the park.
    And that's bad?

How many of these folks will have other plans such as Dinner reservations, and won't use the prize?
    What if a giant astroid strikes earth just minutes after someone wins a big prize? What if all the fastpass attractions simutaneously shutdown? What if the grand prize winner hates Disney. You can what if all you want, but why?

No, just a lot of Disney dweebs complaining about what will likely be nothing.

As I said, problems.
    What problems? This is just you complaining about something you likely have NO idea about. Do you know what Disney will do in these situations? I'm guessing they have a whole system in place. As evident by the OS article, Disney stated they have a plans in place for everything (like determining the EXACT person to give the prize to, even if two people were in the same spot at the same time). My personal guess is that they will take 100, give out 90, and use the last 10 to finish off any families... but that's just my guess. How about we see the problems before we say there are problems?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    What problems? This is just you complaining about something you likely have NO idea about. Do you know what Disney will do in these situations? I'm guessing they have a whole system in place. As evident by the OS article, Disney stated they have a plans in place for everything (like determining the EXACT person to give the prize to, even if two people were in the same spot at the same time). My personal guess is that they will take 100, give out 90, and use the last 10 to finish off any families... but that's just my guess. How about we see the problems before we say there are problems?
    Mike, there are always problems that are going to occure... It is the nature of givaways like this..

It is sort of a running gag in marketing circles... these giveaways seem to be intentionally chaotic... I am picturing what it is like when there is a giveaway at a sporting event... That kind of chaos...

A million prizes a year isn't all that much in total... You saw the break down... you are talking aprox 2.7 thousand a day...

That is roughly 270 per park/resourt per day (maybe a little more at the themeparks, but not that much really but this assumes 10 parks/attractions participating including water parks and the cruize line...) 1 in 60 depends on an average attendance of each park/resourt being 16,500

So if the park has an estimated attendance of 30,000... you will have 500 prizes given that day... That doesn't seem like fullfilling one million dreams to me... But that is what "one Million prises a year" implies...

Whoop de do...
    Check out my other blog:

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    As evident by the OS article, Disney stated they have a plans in place for everything (like determining the EXACT person to give the prize to, even if two people were in the same spot at the same time). My personal guess is that they will take 100, give out 90, and use the last 10 to finish off any families... but that's just my guess. How about we see the problems before we say there are problems?
    Haha yes, Disney has thought of every contingency imaginable to humanity. They are just THAT good. (Yet somehow they can't imagine why DLR has a high turnover rate, but I digress).

I don't think some of the "what ifs" are as wacky as you're making them out to be. Even Disney thought of SOME "what ifs".

That last line is silly. Potential problems are simply potential and since they aren't actual, happening problems they aren't worth discussing? Foreseeability is suddenly passe? Stick a family into Cinderella Castle for the night and think of how to solve problems as or after they happen? Come on.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Minion

Another problem with giving em out in batches of 100, is that is all there will be that day... No more... that's it... all at once...

If one was good for more than one person, but a number of people in a party... I think it would solve some problems... And you end up covering more people... More dreams...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast