Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: 'Jungle Cruise' movie starts motor - The Hollywood Reporter 9/21/06

(hangs head)
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• For You!

Okay, wasn't the ride based off the African Queen? So, are they just doing a remake??? Or is it going to be 2 hours of corny jokes and possible threats from fake animals??

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Man_In_HI View Post
    Let's look Disney's batting average thus far:

Mission to Mars (not sure if this was really supposed to be based off the ride, but they stole the title)....FLOP

Country Bears....FLOP

Haunted Mansion....FLOP

Pirates....Success
    you forgot the best film of them all... The "TowEr Of TeRrOr" (Does that count even thou it was TV only? It was the first ride based movie.)

• Closed Account

I think this idea has serious potential. You could do a lot of really cool things with a movie base on Jungle Cruise...but you for sure have to include some of the jokes the skipper use

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Okay, wasn't the ride based off the African Queen? So, are they just doing a remake??? Or is it going to be 2 hours of corny jokes and possible threats from fake animals??
    With maybe as much as $80 million invested in this...no. Should probably be envisioning something much grander and expansive than a typical tourist home movie shot on the attraction. Can't imagine the studios take would be so literal.
    You haven't yet seen anyone floating by a restaurant in any 'POTC' films have you?

Hopefully someone at the studio has this taped to their wall:
    "Here is adventure. Here is Romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers, silently flowing into the unknown. The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers...the eerie sounds of the jungle...with eyes that are always watching. This is Adventureland."
    Walt Disney approved this proposed plaque but it was never installed.

BTW - Everyone should see John Huston's 'The African Queen' starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn - at least once, please!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-21-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Nope, the public isn't kind with pirate films... I think it is the popularity of Depp's performance that make this film work...
    Doesn't look like you read my full post, I mentioned two major important things in the success of POTC (and for that matter all truely successful movies) 1. Great Actors ~ and I specifically mentioned how Johnny Depp always creates a unique quality for each of his Characters. So we Do agree on that. 2. a Great Story ~ It doesn't matter whether it's a pirate movie, or a haunted mansion movie. If the story, isn't good, it ain't gonna be a great movie.

You mentioned the story/script for Haunted Mansion wasn't good, as reason for it's failure, so we agree that a Great Story is necessary.

You also said "the public isn't kind to pirate movies". I'm not sure how you arrived at that statement. Perhaps "the public" just doesn't like poorly written poorly acted pirate movie, and there wasn't a decent pirate movie in decades. Generalizing certain movie genres, is generally not a good way of predicting how future movies will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    You haven't yet seen anyone floating by a restaurant in any 'POTC' films have you?

I for one haven't, but "At World's End" has yet to come out, so I'm still holding out hope
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Here's the BAD version of the movie.

Chevy Chase and Jesse Mc Cartney sign up for a father and son Safari, only to find out the Skipper is Carrottop with his chimp sidekick Bubbles. They run across a mean poacher played by Christopher Walken and have to save Bimbo, a baby elephant from being sent to the Circus. Danny Glover plays Trader Sam. Hilarity Ensues.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^ That's the $8 million version, $7 million to John Williams to score it.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Gift Giver Extraordinare

I don't want to see this go the way of Congo meets The African Queen. This would be the fourth attraction based feature and out of the first three there was only one hit. This does not bode well for Jungle Cruise - The Movie!
    Walt's Magic Kingdom

AP since 1984

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    You also said "the public isn't kind to pirate movies". I'm not sure how you arrived at that statement.
    Pirate films had a long tradition of being "cursed" with weak box office revinues in the last 50 years...

I think the attitude has changed in recent years... Partially because of the aging counterculture grasping on to the image, and younger generations struggling agianst our corporate society in a technological age... Media companies fighting against piracy, brings the image in to sharper focus... Media companies have basically shown us how anyone of us can be a pirate...

A pirate is no longer something special, but could be anyone of us... so the term is more accessable, so along with it is the image...

I think that is why it is popular at the moment... It has caught the international imagination...

You aren't going to have that same cultural identification about a jungle river boat safari...
    Check out my other blog:

This was done once before. Anyone remember "Jumanji" with Robin Williams? Besides, it sound more opportunistic than anything, in trying to cash in on POTC's coattails.

And here's the REAL end of the POTC3 movie. After saving our hero yet again, they all sail off into the sunset....fade to....

: interior Pirates of the Carribean attraction

Mom: Jack, Jack!! Wake up!! You slept through the whole ride.

Jack: No, Mom it was Great!! There were pirates and monsters and a beating heart, and he almost died, and they rescued him!! Can we go again?

Mr. and Mrs. Turner look at one another and sigh in unison.

Dad: Jack, have you been listening to Great Uncle's stories again? You KNOW he tells things that are not always true.

Mom: We need to talk to him about this. We can't have him upsetting our child....

Jack: (cutting in) No. Mom! I REALLY saw pirates. REALLY!!

Mom: Ok, that's enough! Let's get lunch and decide where we want to go next.

Jack" Please Mom? Can't we ride one more time?? PLEEEEZZEE???

During all this, a cross-fade occurs to a man sitting on a porch in the evening, rocking slowly. We don't see his face, as he fumbles for a dark object, perhaps a watch, while very softly singing to himself.....while singing, he reaches for a necklace with a medallion on it and pulls it out of his shirt. The moon comes from behind a cloud and we hear a clinking noise as the skeletel hand rolls the coin through it's bony fingers....

Man:

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
    We pillage plunder, we rifle and loot.
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho......

fade to black

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaScreamer View Post
    This was done once before. Anyone remember "Jumanji" with Robin Williams? Besides, it sound more opportunistic than anything, in trying to cash in on POTC's coattails.
    'Jumanji' made over $250+ million dollars for Sony, the surprise is that there wasn't another one.
    Disney obviously seems that they've grown an audience and created a formula with the potential to create a new product line. That's what they need to be doing to expand upon the momentum of the 'POTC' franchise.
    That's why it's called show BUSINESS.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-22-2006 at 02:01 PM.

• Rawr...

Another forgotten movie-ride failure:

THE FREAKIN COUNTRY BEARS!!!!

Bah to them I say. But, I am rather twitterpated at the prospect of a movie based on the Jungle Cruise. But wasn't the Jungle Cruise based on Queen of the Nile or something like that?
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123