• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Iron Man

Paltrow is 'Iron' clad for Marvel

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Jan 17, 2007

Academy Award winner Gwyneth Paltrow has joined the cast of "Iron Man," the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment. Jon Favreau is directing the movie, distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Paltrow joins Robert Downey Jr. -- who plays armor-clad superhero Iron Man and his alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark -- and Terrence Howard, who will play Stark's best friend Rhodey.

Paltrow will play Stark's personal assistant Virginia "Pepper" Potts, one of the few people in Stark's life who can go toe-to-toe with him and who occasionally serves as his conscience. The pair also share a secret attraction to each other.

"We've been casting for a long time, and we really took our time in finding the perfect person," Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said. "We've talked to our prototype for Pepper, and we kept mentioning 'someone like Gwyneth Paltrow,' and it was relatively recently that it came to our attention that maybe we should go to Gwyneth. Her representatives let us know that she wanted to do a movie like this; a few phone calls later from all parties involved, and over the weekend it happened.

"It happens rarely in this business where you get exactly who you wanted and where it happens very quickly," Feige said. "We have a lot of actors and filmmakers who are very happy, myself right among them."

Production is scheduled to begin in March in Los Angeles.

The movie will be produced by Avi Arad and Feige. Executive producing are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Favreau and Michael Helfant.

Paltrow, who won an Oscar for her work in "Shakespeare in Love," most recently appeared in "Running With Scissors." Her credits include "Infamous" and "Proof." She is repped by CAA and Brillstein-Grey.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5a34e2457f54de
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

I like Gwyneth but she seems an odd choice for this project. Especially considering the caliber of the other rumored contenders for this role. It almost seems like she's too big of a name maybe.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

This news makes sense to me.

This casting serves two purposes, the first:
    prestige credits for trailer and all marketing & publicity -
    Academy Award Nominee Robert Downey Jr.
    Academy Award Winner Gwyneth Paltrow
    Academy Award Nominee Terrence Howard
    plus we'll probably see a sage actor and/or actress sign on for balance
    (not unlike a Judi Dench in the Bond series, or a Michael Caine in the revitalized Batman franchise)

The second:
    she needs a hit
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

All very true. I think I'm just gonna have to warm up to it because it's not the direction I was expecting them to go. The name I had most often previously seen linked to the role was Rachael McAdams. But again, I like Gwyneth, so I don't mind seeing her get some decent work.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Jon Favreau

M/40
    CALIFORNIA

Posted: January 16, 2007 11:31 PM
    Gwyneth Paltrow has been cast as Virginia Pepper Potts. I met her on an idie called Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle many years ago. We begin filming in eight weeks.

Stan Winston is working on the suit. Sets are being built. Fergus and Ostby(Children of Men) are working on the script. Matty Libatique is shooting it. Everything is really coming together.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=42500584

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

WOW! Jeff Bridges is a great get for this cast!

Bridges linked to Marvel's 'Iron Man'

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 6, 2007

Jeff Bridges has joined the cast of "Iron Man," the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment. Jon Favreau is directing the movie, which Paramount Pictures will distribute.

Robert Downey Jr. stars as armor-clad superhero Iron Man and his alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark. Bridges will portray a confidant and close business associate of Stark, a longtime employee at defense contractor Stark Industries who plays a major role in shaping Stark's life.

"We've been talking to Jeff for long time," Marvel's president of production Kevin Feige said. "He's excited about doing a movie like this, and we're excited to have him in this particular role. There are many facets to this character which I can't discuss, but looking at the spectrum of all of Jeff's roles, this fits in nicely with the man who played 'Starman,' 'Tucker,' 'Big Lebowski' with a little bit 'Tron' thrown in.

"This rounds out our ensemble, and I think it's one of the strongest casts ever assembled for one of our films."

Bridges' boarding marks the fourth Academy Award-recognized actor signed on for the "Iron Man" cast, which in addition to Oscar nominee Downey includes nominee Terrence Howard and Oscar winner Gwyneth Paltrow. Bridges, a four-time Oscar nominee, will be seen in "A Dog Year" and has a voice role in the animated film "Surf's Up."

Filming on "Iron Man" is scheduled to begin in March in Los Angeles with a planned release date of May 2, 2008.

The movie is being produced by Avi Arad and Feige. Executive producers are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Favreau and Michael Helfant. Bridges' deal was negotiated by UTA. He is now repped by CAA.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...9275efa12387d3

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The Biz: Marvel Powers Up Iron Man, Incredible Hulk For 2008

Brandweek
    February 26, 2007

MARVEL Entertainment is looking ahead to summer '08 with licensing programs for Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, the first two movies from its new self-financed and -produced film slate.

Partners include Hasbro and Hallmark.

With retail real estate so competitive among film-based properties—especially during the summer blockbuster period—Marvel is signing licensees that will take on both superheroic stories in order to get a full-season of shelf space at retail.

"What we're looking to do, from a strategic standpoint, is kind of 'own' 2008," said Paul Gitter, svp-consumer products for North America, Marvel Entertainment. "The goal is to go out to manufacturers and retailers, and create some continuity with both films from May through the back-to-school window."

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk licensees include Hasbro (master toy licensee), Hallmark (social expressions and party goods), Kids Headquarters (boys & girls apparel), Jay Franco (domestics), Mad Engine (T-shirts), Fruit of the Loom (underwear), Disguise (costumes), BBC (footwear), Berkshire (headwear and cold weather), Mega Bloks (construction toys) and Jakks Pacific (plug & play games), AME (sleepwear), Sideshow (collectibles), FAB (back-to-school & arts and crafts) and MGA (die-cast vehicles). Marvel is looking to add partners in other key licensing categories, such as food & beverages, consumer electronics and publishing. Licensees were given a directive to incorporate innovation into their products and urged to view their creations as components of a collection, not one-off items. Transformation also is a key element of both properties.

The strategy of signing licensees for both properties to "own" summer follows a successful run with Spider-Man on screens and at retail. Sony's third film in the franchise hits theaters this summer and Spidey has become a day-in, day-out business for Marvel.

Gitter hopes new film properties could turn in to perennials, too.

The Paramount-distributed, Jon Favreau-directed Iron Man (May 2, 2008) stars Robert Downey Jr. (as Tony Stark/Iron Man), Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow. The Incredible Hulk (June 13, 2008) will be distributed by Universal, but is not a sequel to the studio's Hulk (2003). The film is not yet cast.
    http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine..._id=1003550005

• Shablagoo!

I'm curious to see who they get for the Mandarin, the villian of the film.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Marvel beats Street despite weak Q4

By Paul Bond
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 27, 2007

Marvel Entertainment, whose new film unit begins principal photography March 12 on "Iron Man," its first self-produced film, said Monday that its fourth-quarter profit fell from $25.9 million a year ago to $11.7 million.

Revenue fell from $117.1 million a year ago to $85.2 million, but exceeded Wall Street's expectations. Nevertheless, shares fell 3.1% on Monday to $29.96. It was the third-largest loser on The Hollywood Reporter's Showbiz 50 stock index.

Marvel's better-than-expected results in revenue and profit might have been overshadowed by the company's guidance, which was lowered slightly because of a tax-rate assumption. Marvel said it would earn $1.30-$1.55 per share this year, while its previous guidance called for $1.35-$1.55.

"Given that this change is not based on fundamentals, we do not believe it should have a meaningful impact on the stock," said Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Michael Kelman.

Marvel posted an increase from publishing sales and toy sales, though not from licensing, hurt by falling revenue from its Spider-Man joint venture with Sony Corp. In addition, Marvel last year benefited from the inclusion of a $50 million license fee with video game maker Activision Inc.

Marvel chairman Morton Handel said Monday that its latest movie resulting from a licensing agreement, "Ghost Rider," has earned $76 million at the domestic boxoffice since its Feb. 16 release and $95 million worldwide.

Sequels in the "Spider-Man" and "Fantastic Four" franchises are scheduled for this year. And in 2008, movies from its own studio are due, beginning with "Iron Man" and followed by "The Incredible Hulk."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...2d0b9b3955a448

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Terrence Howard on Iron Man

Source: Heather Newgen
    Cominsoon.net
    March 2, 2007

Terrence Howard will play Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes in Marvel Studios' Iron Man, which starts filming on March 12, and ComingSoon.net got a chance to ask the actor about playing the title character's confidante. Rhodes, a high ranking military officer and aviator, steers the team that develops the robotic suit that allows the sickly hero to fly around and battle bad guys.

CS/SHH!: Can you talk about going into "Iron Man" which is a total fantasy world?
    Terrence Howard: Not when you're working with Robert Downey Jr.; there's no fantasy about that. You're talking about getting ready for some action, 'cause what I love about him and [director] Jon Favreau is you cannot predict who they are and what they're thinking. And then you add Jeff Bridges to the mix; I still think about the film he did with Kevin Spacey. He's from another planet because he's present, but then he's in front of you at the same time. And then you've got Gwyneth Paltrow, so there's nothing fantastical about it. It's like, "You say you want to be an actor?" Every single one of these people have been nominated or have won an Academy Award, so now let's see what you're made of.

CS/SHH!: Talk about your character in "Iron Man."
    Howard: I play a guy named James Rhodes, who becomes War Machine, a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force. I'm the liaison between Starks Enterprises and the military in the department of acquisitions.

CS/SHH!: Have you seen the costumes for "Iron Man"?
    Howard: We didn't do the costumes yet; I haven't seen any of Tony Stark's costumes, but the outfits these people had on were amazing, they were beautiful. I took this role and I wanted to work with Robert Downey because he has a spontaneity and a fearlessness that I get close to. But I'm still very conservative and reserved than the film choices I make; he doesn't care, he just does it. He believes jump out of an aircraft at 25,000 feet in the air and just go "wooooooooo" all the way down – I want to learn that, I want to learn that.

Paramount will distribute Iron Man on May 2, 2008.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19164

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

I am such a geek.

Iron Man Armor Revealed!

Source: ComingSoon.net
    April 11, 2007

Paramount Pictures has revealed the "Mark 1" armor from Marvel Studios' Iron Man, directed by Jon Favreau and coming to theaters on May 2, 2008. The comic book adaptation stars Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Shaun Toub and Leslie Bibb.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19838

• Shablagoo!

I saw the armor on aintitcoolnews earlier today. I like it. It resembles the original armor, but it has a more put together from spare junk look. awesome.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

First look: Downey forges a bond with 'Iron Man' role

Paramount Pictures
    He is Iron Man: Robert Downey Jr.'s struggles with substance abuse
    echo the problems faced by the character he'll play.

By Scott Bowles
    USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Robert Downey Jr. is hardly the obvious choice to play an iconic crime fighter.

After all, this is the guy who became a poster boy for Hollywood excess, serving a year in prison on drug and alcohol-related charges and checking in and out of rehab like it was the Four Seasons.

But it is exactly that past, says director Jon Favreau (Elf), that makes Downey the only choice to play playboy millionaire and recovering alcoholic Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, the comic-book superhero who hits multiplexes next year.

"We didn't want to just go with a safe choice," Favreau says from the set of the film, due in theaters May 2, 2008. "The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye. He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark. Robert brings a depth that goes beyond a comic-book character who is having trouble in high school, or can't get the girl. Plus, he's simply one of the best actors around."

For his part, Downey is trying to become an iron man. At 42, he lifts weights five days a week and practices martial arts to get in shape to play the hard-bodied Stark, an arms manufacturer who uses his ultimate weapon, a jet-powered, missile-launching suit of armor, to fight evil.

More important, Downey says, he's been working on his emotional stamina since coming out of rehab in 2002. His supporting roles in Good Night, and Good Luck and Zodiac have earned critical raves.

And anchoring a big-budget summer film such as Iron Man could go a long way toward cementing that return.

"I'm more diligent than I used to be," Downey says. "I want to show Jon he was right to have faith in me. Whatever questions might have arisen about my life weren't issues with him."

Nor with many fans, says Rob Worley of Comics2Film.com.

"Fans need the heart of the comic to be in" the movie, he says. "Tony Stark had a substance abuse problem. He was built up and torn down many times. I think when people heard Robert Downey was going to play the part, there was actually a big relief."

Downey knows a thing or two about comics, and he can get downright geeky when discussing them. He prefers Marvel to D.C. comics. He liked Iron Man, "but mainly through his appearance with Avengers." His favorite early heroes, he says, were the relatively obscure Sgt. Rock and Sgt. Fury.

It wasn't until Downey matured that he came to appreciate the man in the iron suit.

"He struggles with his lifestyle, he struggles with the drinking," Downey says of Stark. "He faces the same issues a lot of people do."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...iron-man_N.htm

• Minion

I really want this to go well. I want a success for Robert Downey Jr., I want a success for Jon Favreau. Mostly, I want another comic book hero film to come off well. I liked Batman Begins, I thought it hit a lot of really great dark spots and I felt like the tone was just right. I hope this amazing cast and director can pull this off in a big way.

• Happy Memories

Anybody else see the spy video from the set? The suit seems to move much better than you would expect for something of its bulk.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast