Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Man

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Iron Man

Comic-Con Preview: Making Con-tact

EW scopes out the annual San Diego convention that's bringing Hollywood to its knees, with fans sure to drool over presentations
    for ''Iron Man,'' ''Superbad,'' J.J. Abrams' ''Star Trek,'' Tim Burton's ''Sweeney Todd'' and more

IRON MAN Downey Jr. will be reaching out to the
    San Diego crowd to build buzz for his 2008 superhero flick
    Photo by Zade Rosenthal

By Nicole Sperling, Benjamin Svetkey
    ew.com

Cannes has Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie on the Croisette. Sundance has Robert Redford on the slopes. And Comic-Con? It's got Klingons in Renaissance costumes running around downtown San Diego.

From July 26 to 29, tens of thousands of devoted pop culture fans will descend upon Southern California for the largest gathering of sci-fi and fantasy enthusiasts held on this or any planet. It's been called Woodstock for geeks, but these days it's a whole lot more. The annual Comic-Con convention is now one of the most critical industry events on the calendar, as important to Hollywood as any festival in France or Utah.

What started in 1970 as a small comic-book lovers' conclave (just 300 people made it to that first meeting) today draws more than 120,000 people. And it isn't just fanboys attending the convention's screenings, parties, and panel discussions; among the crowd this year will be Clive Owen (who'll build buzz for Shoot 'Em Up), Jessica Alba (The Eye), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Edward Norton (The Incredible Hulk), and Judd Apatow (Superbad), along with hordes of producers, directors, and writers, like J.J. Abrams, who may announce some of his casting picks for the upcoming Star Trek reboot.

For certain genres the ones involving superheroes, aliens, warriors in leather codpieces, and comic-book characters there is now no greater launching pad than the floor of the San Diego Convention Center. These days, even some surprising genres like Westerns (3:10 to Yuma), music-industry satires (Walk Hard), and Broadway musicals (Tim Burton will share clips from his upcoming adaptation of Sweeney Todd) are finding their way to Comic-Con.

''It's the golden age of geekdom,'' says frequent Comic-Con conventioneer Brad Meltzer, a novelist and comics writer. ''Hollywood has figured out the location of the supergeek clubhouse. They've jimmied the locks, moved in, and spruced the place up. And we're sort of sadly and pathetically okay with it, because they bring lots of hot actresses and nice film clips.''
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20047473,00.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

World Exclusive: New Iron Man Image!
    Slamming his way onto Empire's cover

When the first shot of Iron Man’s shimmering Mk. III suit appeared online earlier this year, the sound of jaws dropping resonated across the web. Astounded by the imposing red and gold figure towering before them, coos of “it’s so pretty”, “coooooollll” and “Iron Man is going to kick some major ***” meant that everyone’s excitement levels for Tony Stark’s big screen debut were upped by about three billion percent. But as Empire can now reveal, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Yes, the lovely folks at ILM, having already conjured up a killer Optimus Prime image for our February cover, have been hard at work once again and have provided us with a world exclusive new shot of Ol’Shellhead in action. Pretty darn cool, I’m sure you’ll agree. Of course, it wouldn’t be fair to leave the billionaire Weapons Expert up there all on his own, so we’ve brought The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones along for the ride. All three giants of the screen lead the way in our massive Heroes Of 2008 preview that takes a first look at some of next year’s biggest movie behemoths, including The Incredible Hulk, Hellboy 2, Speed Racer and Wall-E.
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20888
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Iron Man rock solid

The convention long ago lost its focus on comic-books. But not comic-book movies.

Iron Man, due in May, received thunderous applause when director Jon Favreau surprised the crowd with his attendance.

He began by offering early footage of "unfinished special effects," then rolled clips from the 1960s TV cartoon. After a brief collective gasp, then laughter, the crowd was thrilled to catch about 10 minutes of footage of Robert Downey Jr. as the hero kept alive by the flying iron suit.

"I wanted to give them a little jolt, because they've had so many spies already finding out about the movie," Favreau said off-stage.

Favreau said he has had to get used to having every shot in his movie being watched by uber-fans.

"No one cared about Swingers," the director said. "No one was looking to upload pictures of Elf. They weren't even that interested in Zathura. But they want to know everything they can about this one."

Favreau said he found the attention more flattering than daunting.

"You still want to save some surprises for the theater," he said. "And I know some directors are sensitive about having anything out there about their movie. But I'd much rather have people interested in what you're doing than not care at all. And I've had both."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...notebook_N.htm

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

By Denis Poroy, APDirector Jon Favreau spoke Saturday at a
    panel discussion on the upcoming Iron Man film.

Iron sighting
    In Superbad, Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and Christopher Mintz-Plasse play outsider nerds.

They play it at Comic-Con, too.

Relaxing outside an auditorium for press interviews, the three young actors can't help but rubber neck as stars from other movies mill about.

And their biggest sighting: Iron Man director Jon Favreau and his all-star cast.

"I can't believe we're seeing them," Hill says as Cera sneaks a few video shots of the cast, which includes Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrence Howard. "I was in the bathroom and saw Robert washing his hands. All I could think was, 'Wow, I'm in the same bathroom where Iron Man urinated.' "
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...notebook_N.htm

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• Infinitized!

Iron Man footge from Comic Con:
    http://wesleytech.com/iron-man-movie...t-comicon/302/

It was on YouTube but got pulled. however it's still on that site though! Looks awesome!

• Shablagoo!

Yes. I missed the footage on Aint it cool news last night, That for posting hte link.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Iron Man' rides with Audi

Paramount superhero pic gets promos in gear

For 'Iron Man,' its first self-financed pic,
    Marvel has hitched a promotional ride with Audi.

By Marc Graser
    Variety
    July 25, 2007

Iron Man drives an Audi.

In a rare case of a superhero owning a car that can also be bought by mere mortals, the German automaker has partnered with Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures to tie in with the bigscreen adaptation of "Iron Man."

Pic is now in production under the helm of Jon Favreau and stars Robert Downey Jr.

Deal calls for Audi's R8 supercar to be the vehicle of choice for billionaire industrialist Tony Stark when he's not wearing his high-tech suit of armor as the title character.

The upcoming S5 sports coupe is also driven by a lead character in the movie. Audi's A6 sedan and Q7 SUV will make onscreen appearances in the pic as well.

As part of its involvement, Audi will likely pony up tens of millions of dollars to help promote the movie worldwide upon its release, set for May 2.

Details of the marketing plans are still being worked out. Recruiting heavyweight promotional partners like Audi for "Iron Man" is particularly crucial for Marvel given that the pic is the first the company is self-financing, with Par only distribbing.

Audi's involvement and ad coin could also could go a long way toward introducing the character to non-comicbook readers, who can easily identify Superman, Spider-Man or Batman but are not likely to be as familiar with Iron Man.

"It's a big deal whether it's a character that millions of people are familiar with or if people are not as familiar with," said Marvel Studios prexy of production Kevin Feige. "There's so much product going out that anything you can do to make your film stand out is important."

Marvel didn't have to do much to pique Audi's interest in the property. In fact, it was Audi that went to great lengths to put itself in front of the filmmakers.

Other carmakers auditioned their fleets, but Audi was so set on landing the placement that it flew in two R8s from Germany for Favreau and his production designer to consider.

"The car fit very well with the aesthetic the production designer was putting together," Feige said. The R8 hooked filmmakers in part because elements of the car's design closely resemble Iron Man's superhero garb.
    Automaker was attracted to the property because of the Stark character, a weapons manufacturer who opts to use his Stark Industries' technology to fight evil. Out of the office, he's a playboy accustomed to the finer things in life.

"With his ingenuity and passion for technology, Tony Stark personifies Audi's values," said Dirk Roder, Audi international film marketing, entertainment and gaming. "He's the kind of guy every girl wants to date and every guy wants to be."The sleek $108,000 car, which was launched this year, features an engine housing in the rear of the car that glows at night, mimicking the glowing chestplate Stark must wear to stay alive.
    Design of the car's headlights also resemble the eye slits of Iron Man's helmet and light up in similar fashion.

"The R8 was the perfect car for Tony Stark," Favreau said. "It's wonderfully engineered. It's fast, it's safe and it's flashy."

To promote its tie-in, Audi will likely use the pic's technology theme to tout its own engineering superiority in its marketing messaging, rather than promote a single model, in part because only a limited number of R8s are being built.

Audi becomes the second major automaker to brand a superhero's car after Dodge landed a deal with Fox to plant its moniker and influence the design of the Fantasticar in this summer's "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

Audi is looking to up its presence in the U.S., and is relying on high-profile film placements and tie-ins to make its four-ringed logo stand out.

"Iron Man" will be the first major movie tie-in for Audi since Fox's 2004 sci-fier "I, Robot," for which it designed a futuristic concept car that Will Smith piloted in the pic.

Audi won't likely be the only promotional partner for "Iron Man."
    Given the pic's emphasis on technology, Marvel's marketing mavens are also seeking out other partners affiliated with that area, such as electronics makers.

"This movie is very much about gadgetry and high tech," said LeeAnne Stables, senior VP of worldwide marketing partnerships for Par.

A deal with a fast-food partner is also in the works. "The right promotional partners can always add a great assist to a studio's marketing campaign," Stables said. "They can get our message out to places where we can't buy advertising ourselves."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1236&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thank you Jon Favreau!

For those of you who have been Jonesing to see the Comic Con footage, we now an official teaser trailer that incorporates much of the same imagery. Paramount is debuting the piece in its entirety across the Viacom Network's highest rated programs. The first appearance will be immediately before the Hills on MTV on 9/10. I've listed the schedule of other slots that Paramount marketing has sent me below.

A hi-res version will appear on Apple.com/trailers on 9/11 for those of you who, for whatever reason, choose not to TiVo The Hills.

Comedy Central: The Daily Show 10-Sep
    MTV: The Hills 10-Sep (the break leading into the show)
    Spike TV : CSI 11-Sep
    VH1: The Rock Life 10-Sep
    BET: Baldwin Hills 11-Sep
    CMT : Trick My Truck 10-Sep
    Logo : Rick & Steve 11-Sep
    MTV2: Room 401 10-Sep
    NAN : Fresh Prince 10-Sep
    The N: Fresh Prince 11-Sep
    TV Land: Andy Griffith 11-Sep
    http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...DD365602159139

• Shablagoo!

Why wait to watch the trailer on TV with some crummy show. Apple has the trailer up now. Here is a link.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

•   

Not bad!
    Don't like the song much but it looks interesting!

Oooohhhh..... I like.

Looks like all sorts of fun and mayhem, just my kind of movie.

I thought the trailer was cool. I enjoyed the use of Ozzie Osbourne's Iron Man song too. It set the mood.

Also, what's up with who made the film?

Did Marvel make it themselves, because I saw the Paramount Pictures logo on the trailer page on apple.com. Or is Paramount just distributing it?

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Saw the trailer yesterday and I must say I'm intrigued. And I liked the Ozzie...
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast