Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• e komo mai

Thumbs down Reasons NOT to Buy New 'Little Mermaid' DVD

With big brouhaha and an ad campaign that one cannot avoid, Disney has re-released 'The Little Mermaid' on DVD... again.

Seeing the remastered version in the theatre, I could not tell the difference between the cleaned up print and the one that's on the DVD I already have.

Most likely, a lot of us here on MC already have 'The Little Mermaid' on DVD. There's the "Limited Issue" version (so 'Limited' that they're releasing it again and again) and then there's that strange other version that has the Jodi Benson video during the credits. (That was a head-scratcher.) So, why buy this film again? Yes, it's now on 2 DVDs with some slapped together making-of or a kids game on it, but it is worth it?

My biggest complaint about the film is that this version is not the version that was released before. There are changes to this film. Not only are there enhanced sound effects, not there before, but there is a changed shot.

You can see a shot of the original shot here.

The Disney Company swore up and down that the priest was not sporting an erection. But they changed it anyway. Why? If it wasn't offensive, then why change it? It's weird.

So, your copy of 'The Little Mermaid' that you already have is a collector's item of sorts.

Yes, die hard fans are going to get the new version. But I would like people to step back and think about wasting their money on something they already have and buying something that has been changed.

Filmmakers call a final version of a film locked for a reason. It shouldn't be changed after that. More and more directors, producers, studio suits are ignoring this and changing stuff to have us buy more copies of the film, to add special effects blah blah blah. But we don't have to waste hard earned money on rebuying stuff.

My two cents. I welcome MiceChatters' thoughts on this.

GC

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Sad Re: Reasons NOT to Buy New 'Little Mermaid' DVD

We only have the VHS. I guess we are stuck and don't really have much choice! Oh well, our 5 year old DD won't know the difference.
    Foolish Mortal

• For old time sake

Re: Reasons NOT to Buy New 'Little Mermaid' DVD

I never owned this film. I will be picking up my copy on Tuesday. FWIW, I "lost" all my Disney VHS movies 3 yrs ago....so now I am working to replace them all.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

We still have it on vhs as well. Something about the Scottish side of me wanting to get my money's worth. But we're replacing them as they wear out (i.e. get trampled upon by my 3 kids.)

As for the scene in question, it's amazing to me that they ever found it. Someone on the inside must have cracked and spread the rumor. If these animators hadn't spilled the beans, I don't think anyone would have ever noticed. I mean...during that scene in the film, WHO would have been looking THERE?

In any case, I won't lose any sleep over it as I never really noticed it to begin with. I think Disney is just trying to keep future generations from saying "Look at THIS!"

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I never buy the movie again once we have it on DVD. The extras just aren't worth it to me. If there is something that I feel we need to see, I'll borrow it or rent it, if I can find it. But, I'm not going to buy another DVD movie when I've already got it. Funny thing is that we just tossed the VHS yesterday.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

We also only have the VHS and so we will be buying the NEW DVD this week!! My girls are very excited about seeing it.
    Jeff

• Minion

Blog Entries

I am still sporting the VHS too... I still have the orginal cover that was very quickly recalled and plan on keeping that puppy looking good. I doubt I will get the DVD though. Gotta save money and the little mermaid doesn't make it to the budget.

• Disney worshipper/geek

I wasn't aware there were two otherissues of it on DVD. I wait and buy it on Platinum edition anyway.

So what if they changed the one shot?? It doesn't really matter if it is offensive, it's distracting to some people. I know it's the minister's knees, you know it's the minister's knees...hoever, who here has stupid griends who would insist differently just to tick you off? If it's fized and you don't tell them, you stand the chance of telling them they were imagining things, and then they will feel stupid, at least until they get irritated enough (and think they're goin' nuts enough) to go chek the internet.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• no flash photography...

we only have the vhs version, but I don't buy dvd's very often. I didn't even kow this on was coming out until right now. Yeah, I don't watch alot of TV either..>LOL

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I only have it on VHS as well so I'll be buying the new DVD probably next weekend (rent is due this week and I don't get paid again until Friday).

• Shubisha

what did thy change about the scene? do you have a screenshot from the new version?

• World Traveler

I don't have it on VHS or DVD, so I'll be getting it too. Anyone know who will have the best price? The ads in the Sunday paper didn't have prices!

• Can't we all get along?

I generally pick movies up at Costco.
    <a href=http://www.micechat.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9544&dateline=1159554839 target=_blank>http://www.micechat.com/forums/image...ine=1159554839</a>

• n/a

I still have VHS w/ the Penis Towers
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Closed Account

I saw the DVD print at the El Capitan two weeks ago and the scene was NOT ALTERED.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast