Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Sad Re: Shooting in Amish School. Whats the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I agree, including when it comes to murdering children.
    I know! I mean, they are totally harmless. I mean, I put myself in the childs 'shoes' at the moment all of this is happening...........I remember when I was a kid scared and wanting my mom and dad and all the emotion that goes with that........the alone feeling, the uncertainty, the fear, ..........and it just crushes me inside. I'm getting welled up with tears just thinking of it. These poor innocent children..........

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Shooting in Amish School. Whats the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I don't think that's completely true... I'm sure they know that there's been a problem in schools, but I'm sure that they never thought it could happen at their schools.

The Amish may set themselves apart, but they still live in a world real enough that they know about what's going on in the world. Trust me -- I was among the Amish on 9/11.
    True.
    Like I said:
    "The Amish don't live by most of our society rules."

I mean I have seen them shopping at Wal Mart on several occassions. So over the years, the Amish have realized that in some instances, they have to bend their beliefs just so their own life could be a bit more easier.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I know! I mean, they are totally harmless. I mean, I put myself in the childs 'shoes' at the moment all of this is happening...........I remember when I was a kid scared and wanting my mom and dad and all the emotion that goes with that........the alone feeling, the uncertainty, the fear, ..........and it just crushes me inside. I'm getting welled up with tears just thinking of it. These poor innocent children..........
    I am thinking this person must not have been Amish because he was using stuff like Cellphones to call his ex-wife. He said the crime was committed because of something that happened in their marriage 20 years ago.

• Senior Minion

It is terrible what happened. The shooter, from what i've heard, was a milk truck driver who lived about a mile from the schoolhouse. 3 are dead, not including the shooter, last I heard.

But remember, there are different types of amish from different orders and they all have their own rules and way of life.

They are saying it was because of something that had happened 20 years ago, if the gunman was 32, he couldn't have been married when he was 12, when the event occured.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I am thinking this person must not have been Amish because he was using stuff like Cellphones to call his ex-wife. He said the crime was committed because of something that happened in their marriage 20 years ago.

You know....sometimes life hands us lemons, and you know the old saying - make lemonade.

My Grandpa's Mom died when he was 4 in 1922 - but he didn't go and shoot things up. My Aunt's Dad's father left when HE was 2 - and he didn't go shoot things up. These two men made better lives for themselves - they didn't live the life of a VICTIM.

That's what wrong with today - everyone wants to play the VICTIM so they can act out of line - that being shooting an Amish school up.

Whatever happened 20 years ago does not warrant killing children - EVER.

• far, far away from DL

It happened about an hour from where I live. A 32 yr old man stormed into the school and let out all the boys and women who were pregnant or had infants with them. He barricaded the doors with 2x4's. He called his wife and said he was going to kill the girls because of something that happened 20 years ago. He shot the girls in the back of the head, execution style. Then shot himself when police broke in. 6 children are in critical condition and 4 are dead. I hope that man rots in you know where. When I heard about it this morning I started crying. I still can't believe it happened to the Amish. Police don't know why he picked the Amish school.

Sabrina

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneygirl View Post
    It happened about an hour from where I live. A 32 yr old man stormed into the school and let out all the boys and women who were pregnant or had infants with them. He barricaded the doors with 2x4's. He called his wife and said he was going to kill the girls because of something that happened 20 years ago. He shot the girls in the back of the head, execution style. Then shot himself when police broke in. 6 children are in critical condition and 4 are dead. I hope that man rots in you know where. When I heard about it this morning I started crying. I still can't believe it happened to the Amish. Police don't know why he picked the Amish school.

Sabrina
    I can't believe it happened - PERIOD. Amish or not - it's outlandish! NOTHING - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that happened 20 years ago WARRANTS what he has done.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Here's the final story. Looks like he got turned down by a girl 20 years ago and he was taking out revenge because of it.

PARADISE, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- A 32-year-old truck driver walked into a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday, binding and shooting three girls execution-style before killing himself, police said.
    Eight other girls were wounded in the attack, which police said appeared to be a revenge killing for an incident that occurred two decades ago.
    "It would take a miracle for us to not lose more lives today," said Commissioner Jeffrey Miller of the Pennsylvania State Police, adding that the wounded were in critical condition -- two of them "very dire." (Watch how the gunman got in and what he did -- 7:44 )
    The attack was the nation's third deadly school shooting in a week.
    The gunman, Charles Carl Roberts IV, was armed with three guns, a stun gun, two knives and a bag holding 600 rounds of ammunition, Miller said.
    He was also carrying an assortment of tools and other items, including toilet paper, that led police to believe he was prepared for an extended siege.
    "It seems as though he wanted to attack young female victims, and this is close to his residence. That's the only reason we can figure that he went to the school," said Miller. (Read Miller's dramatic account)
    "It's a horrendous crime scene," he said.
    The shooting took place in Lancaster County, about 60 miles west of Philadelphia, at a school run by the Amish community. There were 26 students in the school Monday, 11 of them girls. (Watch police investigate shooting scene -- 1:00)
    The school teaches students ranging from 6 to 13, with some older students working as teachers' aides. Two students and an aide were dead at the scene, with one girl dying in a state trooper's arms, Miller said.
    The wounded girls were taken to several hospitals in the central Pennsylvania area, some of them with gunshot wounds to the head.
    Roberts drove a commercial milk truck, said Miller. He was not Amish, was not previously wanted by authorities and had no known criminal history.
    The Bart, Pennsylvania, resident had three children, and left several notes for his family "along the lines of suicide notes," Miller said.
    The notes were "rambling" and "didn't make much sense," Miller said.
    Roberts' wife tried to call him when she found the notes, Miller said. He returned the call on his cell phone, told her he wouldn't be coming home and "that he was acting out to achieve revenge for something that happened 20 years ago."
    "Shortly thereafter, the shooting commenced," he said.
    Troopers were unable to contact him and were preparing to storm the schoolhouse when Roberts began shooting, Miller said.
    Gunman let boys go

The commissioner said Roberts had worked a shift that ended about 3 a.m. Monday and taken his children to their bus stop before beginning his rampage.
    Police said he had barricaded himself in the schoolhouse with two-by-four and two-by-six pieces of lumber, which he brought to the scene in a borrowed pickup truck. He did not respond to efforts by police to make contact with him.
    Miller said that during the attack, Roberts apparently told students to line up in front of the blackboard. He began to tie his female captives' feet together. He let the 15 boys in the classroom leave.
    Miller said Roberts also allowed an adult female who was pregnant to leave with three other adult females who had infant children with them.
    The teacher who was released was able to alert authorities, Miller said.
    "Apparently, there was some sort of an issue in his past that for some reason, he wanted to exact revenge against female victims. That's all I can tell you right now," Miller said.
    Lancaster County's 911 Web site reported dozens of emergency vehicles -- including at least nine ambulances -- were dispatched to Bart Township shortly before 11 a.m. for a "medical emergency." The Lancaster County emergency communications Web site showed 20 incident calls listed to the normally quiet Bart Township at 10:48 a.m.
    Shortly after the attack, men, women and girls in traditional Amish clothing gathered in small groups outside the country schoolhouse along a dirt road. Horse-drawn carriages could be seen in a nearby parking lot.
    The school is one of about 150 that serve the Amish population of about 200,000, said Donald Kraybill, a sociology professor at nearby Elizabethtown College.
    "They typically are one-room facilities operated by Amish parents," Kraybill said. "There usually are not any security concerns or security risks in the schools, so this is quite a shock."
    Aaron Meyer, who owns a buggy company in the nearby village of Bird in Hand, said the largely rural Amish country had experienced nothing like the crime in the 25 years he has lived in the area.
    "Many of these townships there have no police at all, because there's no crime," Meyer told CNN.
    On Wednesday, a 53-year-old man entered a high school in Bailey, Colorado, where he held several female students hostage at gunpoint. He shot one girl before killing himself seconds after a SWAT team stormed the classroom.
    A high school student near Madison, Wisconsin, is suspected of fatally gunning down his principal on Friday, after he complained about being bullied and was disciplined for carrying tobacco.

• My laughing place

This is so sad. We need to keep all the families in prayer.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Minion

Blog Entries

this is terrible....but he was smart in the mind of a killer. he went for people who would have to travel to report the crime...i don't know much about the amish but if this particular group doesn't embrace telecommunications.....well, anyway, i fell terrible for their familys and they are in my prayers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12