The following DVD release is available this week from Buena Vista Home Entertainment:
THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989)
Featuring the voices of Jodi Benson, Samuel E. Wright, Jason Marin, Christopher Daniel Barnes, Buddy Hackett, Pat Carroll and Kenneth Mars
Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker
The film that launched Disney's animation renaissance in the 1990's gets the "Platinum Edition" treatment in this 2-DVD release. The Little Mermaid tells the story of restless and determined Ariel, a mermaid who longs to be part of the human world despite the warnings of her father King Triton. After saving the life of the human Prince Eric in a violent storm and falling in love with him, Ariel makes a desperate bargain with the wicked sea witch Ursula, trading her voice for a chance to capture the heart of Eric. Ariel only has three days to do it, however, and will lose her soul to Ursula if she fails.
The Little Mermaid features the classic Alan Menken/Howard Ashman score, winner of two Academy Awards (Best Original Score and Best Song for "Under the Sea").
Bonus features include:
- "Treasures Untold: The Making of the Little Mermaid" - A comprehensive, in-depth look at the making of a classic.
- "The Story Behind the Story" - A look at The Little Mermaid's source material: the original story written by Hans Christian Andersen. The featurette also showcases 1941 concept art for a Little Mermaid short film Walt Disney considered making.
- "Behind the Ride That Almost Was" - Imagineers once worked on developing a Little Mermaid "Under the Sea" ride for a Disney theme park, but it never materialized. Tony Baxter, Valerie Edwards and others discuss what went into the proposed attraction, then take you on a first-ever virtual ride-through.
- Audio commentary by Ron Clements, John Musker and composer Alan Menken.
- "Kiss the Girl" music video by Ashley Tisdale.
- "The Little Match Girl" animated short film based on another of Hans Christian Andersen's classic tales.
- Deleted scenes.--disneytim--