• Northwest Disneyphile

Poltergeist music

Hey! Who here remembers Poltergeist? You know, the movie directed by that one guy, but actually directed by Spielberg? Little girl in the T.V., Man eating trees, horrifying face peelings? Now you remember. So I just bought the musical score and, it might be me, but it sounds an awfully lot like Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" (You remember the Dinosaurs in Fantasia?) Am I the only one who notices this? Any one?
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Re: Poltergeist music

Quote Originally Posted by yensid1987 View Post
    Hey! Who here remembers Poltergeist? You know, the movie directed by that one guy, but actually directed by Spielberg? Little girl in the T.V., Man eating trees, horrifying face peelings? Now you remember. So I just bought the musical score and, it might be me, but it sounds an awfully lot like Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" (You remember the Dinosaurs in Fantasia?) Am I the only one who notices this? Any one?
    I only remember the music with the little girl singing. La-La-Laaaa La-la-laaaa la-la-laaaa-la-la
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember seeing that movie back in 1985 at a sleepover. Needless to say, none of us got any sleep that night. I'm terrified of clowns to this day as a result of that movie.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yensid1987 View Post
    Portions of the score do have a bombastic, dissonant element to them, much like parts of Rite of Spring, but other than that, there's really not a heck of a lot of similarity. However, Jerry Goldsmith (who wrote the Poltergeist score) has surely been influenced, at least in part, by Stravinsky and other composers. John Williams' score for Star Wars was clearly influenced, in part, by the film scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Gustav Holst's The Planets (particularly Mars, the Bringer of War), and even Wagner.