Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Picturing the Magic

Talking QUESTION: Song of the South?

QUESTION:Was it reasonable to stop selling the movie Song of the South? and do you think that Disney should re-release the movie due to our tolerance growth?

------------------I just have to say that it was a great movie. what about u?

(Sign up and search "Splashmoun10")

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

Check out my latest TR (August 4th---August 11th) at Disneyworld!

Check out my latest TR (January 4th) at Disneyland!

• Premium Youngling and

Re: QUESTION: Song of the South?

I dont think it was ever sold...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    It was, just not legally inside the United States.

• Picturing the Magic

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    it was but everytime disney sold it they soon took it back

I use a Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and a Zoom-Nikkor 70-300m f/4-f/5.6 G

• A Pirate's life for me!

I've got a copy of it on video. A former co-worker made it for me. It was his favorite Disney movie. He also collects any artwork or figures from SOTS (though VERY hard to find).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

IMO, it was stupid to stop selling the movie. Ignoring history does not make it go away. Anyway, to me it is a movie that shows how stupid racism is.
    Mike

• Banned User

Shouldn't this thread be moved?

As a Black woman, I understand fully the reasons the film has not been particularly well-liked by the African American community and was, with an acknowledgment that the film was technically well-done, criticized by the NAACP when it was originally released in 1946. I also understand why Disney is hesitant to re-release it in any format, given the fact that much time has passed between that era and today, and the fact that it might be met with a new round of criticism from the African American community. I doubt, however, that any real effort to boycott Disney would result from any release of the film. Other, more racially controversial and offensive films have been released in recent years (Monster's Ball, Soul Plane, others), and it's pretty clear that Song of the South is a product of its time. Plus, other films of the era featuring Black characters, such as the Vincente Minnelli-directed Cabin in the Sky and the Lena Horne musical drama Stormy Weather, not to mention the infamous and overtly racist 1915 D.W. Griffith film Birth of a Nation (which featured white actors in blackface), as well as the rooted-in-racism epic classic Gone With The Wind (which, like Song of the South, featured Hattie McDaniel), have all been released on DVD without incident. I see very little reason why Disney should not release the film on DVD today, given the current ongoing interest in seeing and obtaining the film, but I would hope that an extensive feature on the DVD would focus on the fact that the film is controversial and has been extensively debated, and would hopefully dispel any misunderstandings that the film could put into the minds of our youth.
    Last edited by Janie; 10-10-2006 at 09:27 PM.

• Minion

I think its a great movie, I own it

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

It is (or was) available in Europe, and many people used to sell them on eBay (VHS). The only problem was they are PAL instead of NTSC so they won't work in VCR's here. In order to watch it you would have to have it converted. I have an original PAL version still in plastic wrap.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

For a very thorough answer, read my article "In Defense of Walt Disney's Uncle Remus" at songofthesouth.net:

http://songofthesouth.net/news/archi...indefense.html

i have never seen it...its stupid not to sell it...isnt splash mountain based on it? not very hidden lol. I agree we should not ignore history. Even if glorifies the south during slavery (whatever that means...i havent seen it so i wouldnt know) with extra features they could have a segment on why they originally took it away explaining the misunderstandings of their intentions etc. Then they could talk about why it is important to have it...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by belleariel412 View Post
    Even if glorifies the south during slavery (whatever that means...i havent seen it so i wouldnt know) with extra features they could have a segment on why they originally took it away explaining the misunderstandings of their intentions etc. Then they could talk about why it is important to have it...
    I have no idea what you just said.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by SplashMoun10 View Post
    ...do you think that Disney should re-release the movie due to our tolerance growth?
    Interesting that you should mention our "tolerance growth." I find tolerance in our culture to be a highly selective and perplexing thing. It's odd and ironic to me that our culture is more immodest than ever, yet we find a film like SotS to be so politically incorrect that it is regarded as practically obscene. So, while the "f" bomb appears with increasing frequency in our popular music, and radio talk shows can be VERY explicit in talking about sexual behavior, a film like SotS is too hot to handle!

Who knew it was so hardcore?

• Banned User

I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled by what "tolerance growth" is supposed to imply, and especially in regards to this film.

• Picturing the Magic

tolerance growth from what the times used to be like...(more equality now). Tolerance because society see's the wrong in hatred among another race. Back in the past (and in current whitewashed cities now), people act like it's a natural thing to call people by "racial slurs;" but here and now we notice and pick out this untolerance. To see the wrong is to be tolerant. We today see "Song of the South" as wrong, but like many of yours micechatters have said, history is something we need to learn from and acknowledge because without it we would be back at step one. Our soceity should now be mature enough to deal (watch) with this kind of movie and work in suppressing racist thoughts.

Do you understand yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast