Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Did anyone pick up the Fox and the Hound yesterday

To me, this is my favorite Disney movie of all time. I was three years old when it came out I believe and it captured my heart more than any other movie ever did. My parents couldn't afford to get me the actual copper dog stuffed animal that Disney released but I found a stuffed animal in another shop that looked similar but was cheaper and begged for him as a little kid. I still have that dog to this day and it sits in my room still. In fact when I had to move away from my now wife for about 4 months before we got married, she slept with that dog every night and kissed it when she went to sleep because it reminded her of me so much. So, I was so excited to see that this movie was being re-released for its 25th as all I had was an old VHS copy of it.

I was a little dissapointed in what it came as however. First, it wasn't a widescreen type format, just the old letterbox. Was it possible to give this some sort of widescreen or is the movie too old to do that with? If so, then I can forgive that. Secondly the refurbished picture wasn't much better than my old VHS picture was. And third the extras were very slim. I was hoping for a nice long in depth making of the Fox and the Hound and while the 6 minute passing the baton piece was nice it just seemed like there should have been much more to commemorate this film.

Maybe this film means more to me than most everybody else, but to me its the greatest piece of movie making ever. The film is still a wonderful story today and still made me cry when the old widow had to drop Tod off in the forest and made me smile when he met Vixie. So I'm still happy to have it in my collection because it is the story I bought it for and not the extras. I just wish there had been a bit more.

What are your thoughts on it?

• e komo mai

Re: Did anyone pick up the Fox and the Hound yesterday

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of "The Fox and the Hound". I love the bear attack scene, but the story is really sad and depressing.
    I'm not sure what to take away from this film. Is the moral that different individuals can't be friends? Is it that it's okay as long as you don't broadcast your friendship?

I also thought the song "Best of Friends" is really dull.

Sorry to diss your film. I've thought about this one a lot, though.

Not to mention that I took my 7 year old sister to see this and she cried and cried. She was extremely sad after seeing it. I had to make it up to her by taking her to see 'The Little Mermaid' months later.

I think it's great that you love this film, though. It has a lot of good memories attached to it. That's awesome.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    Not to mention that I took my 7 year old sister to see this and she cried and cried. She was extremely sad after seeing it. I had to make it up to her by taking her to see 'The Little Mermaid' months later.
    Was Fox and the Hound re-released in the theaters? I remember watching it on a big screen in high school--maybe 1988 or 89ish?

Fox and the Hound was a major favorite movie of mine from childhood on. It didn't make me cry until I was in college. I used to watch the video over and over again until I had kids. Now I never watch it!

I'm Todd, I'm a fox. I'm Copper, I'm a hound dog....arrrooooroooroooo!!

I haven't bought it on DVD yet, but I did break down and buy Little Mermaid at Disneyland. It just seemed like the right place to buy it.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Yep we have it. I remember my dad taking me to see it when I was a pretty little kid, and I loved it. My dad got me the read along book and cassette and I even named my dog Copper.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Was Fox and the Hound re-released in the theaters? I remember watching it on a big screen in high school--maybe 1988 or 89ish?
    I want to say that it was re-released in '88. But I'm not for sure. I took my little sister to see every Disney release. When the old lady was taking the fox to the forest, my sister was crying so very hard. It was depressing.

I won't be buying this one. I'm also not the kind of Disney Geek that buys every release on DVD. If it's good, I'll buy it. If not...

• Man O Lantern

GC, you told me you bought every copy of Treasure Planet you could find. Don't lie.

I also had the F&H book and cassette, and it was my favorite to listen to. I just loved that little Copper so much. It's why I was so fixated on Corey Feldman for so long....or at least that's one excuse.

Arrooroorooo!!

I remember now seeing F&H in the theater with my friends in high school and we had it all memorized, thanks to my dad taping us all videos. First group Disney dork moment....of many. I just remembered seeing Bambi with them, too. Weird.

• e komo mai

GC, you told me you bought every copy of Treasure Planet you could find. Don't lie.
    I confess. I love Martin Short.

If a Disney DVD has "II" or "2" in the title, I most likely do not have it. "Toy Story 2" is the exception to that. But then again, I don't own "TS1".

Blog Entries

It is a depressing movie, but so was Bambi and it's a classic. To me the story is that friendship wins out in the end. Oftentimes life causes things to get in the way of friendship and pull people apart, but even with overwhelming hardship that friendship is still stronger. Coppers love of Tod (which he did have to be reminded of) is strong enough to even touch old amos slade's heart.

• e komo mai

For me "Bambi" and "F&H" differ in that Bambi had a lot of great characters, lots of comic relief, stunning animation/backgrounds and the song "April Showers" is wonderful. F&H didn't do it for me.

I guess friendship wins out, but the dog is still left alone tied up in the yard and the fox has a wife and his freedom...
    :shrug:

• Man O Lantern

GC, I don't like Bambi. Never really did. I think the skunk is cute, but that's about all I remember! We might own the video, but I'm not sure the kids have ever asked to watch it, so it might still be packed up somewhere. I remember watching it once as an adult and wondering what all the fuss was about.....

There's my confession.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I also had the F&H book and cassette, and it was my favorite to listen to. I just loved that little Copper so much. It's why I was so fixated on Corey Feldman for so long....or at least that's one excuse.

Arrooroorooo!!

I remember now seeing F&H in the theater with my friends in high school and we had it all memorized, thanks to my dad taping us all videos. First group Disney dork moment....of many. I just remembered seeing Bambi with them, too. Weird.

Corey Feldman *sigh* I too had a crush on him.
    And, I also do the Arrooooroooo thing as well.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• e komo mai

GC, I don't like Bambi. Never really did. I think the skunk is cute, but that's about all I remember! We might own the video, but I'm not sure the kids have ever asked to watch it, so it might still be packed up somewhere. I remember watching it once as an adult and wondering what all the fuss was about.....

There's my confession.
    Thumper so totally rocks. He's hysterical.

Well, to each his own. I always thought the animation rocked in that film.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I was a little dissapointed in what it came as however. First, it wasn't a widescreen type format, just the old letterbox.
    The problem is the film was printed with one of the 'inbetween' ratios. F&H is a 1.75 aspect ratio film.

The big difference would be did they make it an anamorphic disk or not (typically says 'enhanced for widescreen tvs' on the box). Amazon only lists it as 1.33, so maybe not.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
    Thumper so totally rocks. He's hysterical.
    If you cant say somethin nice, dont say nothin at all.

Words to live by.

Blog Entries

but the dog is still left alone tied up in the yard
    But he doesn't, he is very close to Chief and he loves ole Amos as well. They each have to go their seperate ways that life takes them in but they're still friends in heart and always will be.

As to the comic relief moments I thought there were plenty. The widow shooting up Amos's car, the crotchety badger, boomer and dinky. I love the characters and their interaction. No line has ever stood out in a movie to me more than when Copper proclaims that he's a hound dog.

Now is it as great as Bambi? Probably not, but its definitely a classic in my book. I know it was considered a flop when originally released but I have a hard time seeing so. Maybe I'm just too biased as this movie was such a part of my childhood growing up.

As to how the movie was made, it apparently was not enhanced for widescreen by being anamorphic or whatever its called at least not that I can tell. I do admit to being a little hazy on what all those terms mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast