• Curiouser and Curiouser

Disney Movies evolved from stories (help me w. my school work)

As we all know most disney movies were adapted form stories in books. And Walt Disney often greatly changed these stories. Do you think this is good or bad. Why or why not? Help me out I need this for an assignment at school.

• oh bugger

Re: Disney Movies evolved from stories (help me w. my school work)

I did my senior thesis in college on a similar concept. First off what type of paper is this?

It's tough to answer the question without a little more background. Fairly vague question. Is it good that the films storyline varies from the orginal literary works? Well, thats kinda a personal call. I'm fond of Ariel not becoming sea foam at the end of the movie, so for that particular cause I say it was a good decision on Disney's behalf to change the ending. As for films Walt actually worked on, for example, Cinderella I'm also fond of many of the changes made from the literary works to the film. It's also tricky because multiple versions of the story exsist. Charles Perrault is who Disney's Cinderella is credit to for inspiration but the Brothers Grimm also have versions of this tale. The Disney film takes a few storypoints from both.

Comparing film to literature is not exactly a fair comparison. Everyone might love the book but hate the movie, but if they never read the book the movie might be fine on its own. They are different mediums and so when transfering a 10 page fairy tale into an hour and a half film some additions and changes are bound to occur.

I'm not necessarily in agreement that the classic fairy tales were greatly changed, just somewhat altered to fit with the film version. Most children and many adults rely on their memories of the Disney version of fairy tales as the definitive version of many of these stories. Over the years they have become symbols of pop culture as well as keeping the old folklore alive for modern audiences.

PS- You are in Washington as well eh? good to see similar interest coming from a fellow Northwesterner.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    I'm fond of Ariel not becoming sea foam at the end of the movie, so for that particular cause I say it was a good decision on Disney's behalf to change the ending.
    I was going to say the opposite! I like the original where she becomes seafoam and then becomes one of the sisters of the air or whatever it's called to protect people who love each other. I think in the old tales/books/legends, there was more of a moral.

Oops, got ot go, my class is here early.

• Huh?

Walt didn't want literal tellings. He found those can be a bit boring, trying to stay too faithful to the source material. Instead, he wanted the films to act like an adult looking back fondly and get the idea of the story -- the important things a child remembers -- not the nitpicking of an adult starved for details and is a nazi about being exact.
    -Tim