Bob, Harvey Weinstein join anti-smoking battle

Updated 10/24/2006 5:54 PM ET

By Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images
"As a former smoker, I feel like it's my responsibility to do
everything I can to educate young people about the dangers
of smoking," movie mogul Harvey Weinstein said.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — You've seen the no-smoking signs at neighborhood theaters. Get ready to install one in your TV set.

Beginning with the December release of Clerks II, The Weinstein Co. will begin placing anti-smoking public service announcements in DVD releases of its films.

"As a former smoker, I feel like it's my responsibility to do everything I can to educate young people about the dangers of smoking," Harvey Weinstein said in a statement released Tuesday. "We really hope this initiative will have an impact with viewers across the country."

Weinstein and his brother Bob said they decided to start inserting the anti-smoking messages at the request of the attorneys general of more than 40 states. The messages are being produced by the American Legacy Foundation, an organization created by a 1998 tobacco litigation agreement.
The attorneys general, including Bill Lockyer of California, made their request in a letter delivered last month to 13 major motion picture companies. The Weinstein Co. was the first to respond.

"Bob and Harvey Weinstein deserve great credit for taking a leadership role in helping to fight youth smoking, which remains one of the most serious public health problems facing communities across the country," Lockyer said.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ing-psas_x.htm