Disney Vacation Club is it worth it?

I am thinking about joining the Disney Vacation Club. I was wondering if it was worth it? This is just going to be for one or two people. I visit Disney about once or twice every year.

• Banned User

Re: Disney Vacation Club is it worth it?

My buddy said it was worth it. You get free hotel rooms, airplane fare and a lot of other cool stuff to the Disney Theme Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    My buddy said it was worth it. You get free hotel rooms, airplane fare and a lot of other cool stuff to the Disney Theme Parks.
    Do you how much it cost for one or two people? The offical site didn't state it anywhere. I know about the points.

• Banned User

I'll call my friend. I know that for his family of 4, Its a couple grand.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'll call my friend. I know that for his family of 4, Its a couple grand.
    More like 12K - 15K (or 20K+) depending on what you buy.

If you want one of the newer resorts they are going for about $100 per point, the mininm purchase is 150 points (which will get you a studio room (which will sleep 4), like a standard hotel room) for one week. If you want a room like a one or two bedroom suite ( a one BR will sleep 4, a 2 BR is like a one br + a studio, so you can sleep 8, I wouldn't want to, but you could), then you need 230 to 320 points for a one week stay at several of the resorts at WDW. But you can buy 150 - 160 points and then only use it every other year and get a one or two bedroom suite. I know several people who do this.

That said, you can buy points on the resale market for about $70 to $90+ one popular resale page, which will give you an idea about prices is:

http://www.dvc-resales.com/dvclisting.cfm if this page doesn't come up the main page is: http://www.dvc-resales.com/ and then you can navigate to the DVC resale page from there.

All that said, we have DVC, we bought back in 1994, when there was only one resort (Disney's Old Key West Resort) and while we can stay at other Disney properties, OKW is the only place we will stay. Lots of reaosns for me (just MHO, YMMV)

Anyway, you can go to: http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/index and get lots more info, I suggest if interested, you call, and see what info they can send you. They used to have a video and lots of other good stuff to help you see just what DVC is all about. I also suggest that if you live near a DVC resort that you might want to schedule a tour to see the quality that is built into DVC.

Lots of rambling, but we've really enjoyed our membership, we've been to WDW 12 times at DVC and have number 13 scheduled for December. We've also been to Sedona, and Maui through the DVC.

Timeshares are not for everyone, but if you use them, I feel that they are a great value for the money.

Now when we go to WDW we always get a one BR room (bedroom, seperate living room with full kitchen, and washer and dryer in the suite.) I can't stress how much having the washer and dryer saves in time, we put a load in before we go to the parks in the AM, then put that in the drier later, and another load in the washer and all this happens while we are gone, since we have the W&D, we pack less, no matter how long the trip, we only have to pack for like 3 days, then just keep them cycling through the W&D. A little sidetracked here, but now I am extremely dissapointed with standard hotel rooms, they seem so inadequate compared to what we are used to with DVC or other timeshare.

Oh, yeah, if you want to see what types of room you can stay in for various point levels, go to: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacati...VCpoints.shtml

Good luck,

CU@DL

Andy

The preceeding was NOT a timeshare sales presentation, just my experiences.
    Last edited by CUatDL; 10-29-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks for the information. Ouch that alot of money. I thought that they would have some kind of lower rates. Oh well. I paid about 3,000 for a week trip to Port Orlean The French Quarter last May and that includes the airfaire. I think that I am better off without, unless I get a better paying job and more money.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMoose View Post
    Thanks for the information. Ouch that alot of money. I thought that they would have some kind of lower rates. Oh well. I paid about 3,000 for a week trip to Port Orlean The French Quarter last May and that includes the airfaire. I think that I am better off without, unless I get a better paying job and more money.
    One way to pay for DVC is it pay over time, like a mortgage. You will typically not pay any more in a year (or not much more) than you would for a one year vacation, and you get to take the vacation each year.

We financed it on a ten year mortgage and just paid it off 2004, but for the money we go to go to WDW each year, then when it is paid off, you only have to pay maintneance fees each year and still go on vacation. For example we paid about $2500 per year for our DVC mortgage (interest and property taxes are tax deducatable, like standard mortgage interest and poperty taxes, (Be sure to check with your tax professional, I am not a laywer or tax professional)

If you plan to go to WDW frequently, DVC can be a good deal, especially if you stay at a moderate or deluxe resort. There you can pay almost as much or the same as your DVC mortgage, and all you get there is a standard hotel room, at a DVC resort, you get a lot more.

If you are interested in DVC, don't let the Sticker Shock of the total cost dissuade you from DVC, check out all the options, then make a decision.

But, you are absolutely right, DVC (or any timeshare) is not for everyone, but for the value they do provide they can be a good way to make sure you can go on vacation each year.

One other thing, if you do buy DVC (or any timeshare, it is property you own) you can use it as you like and if you tire if it, or it becomes a financial burdon, you can always sell it and recoup some if not all your mortgage costs. Kind of like getting a partial (or at least hotel costs) refund on vacations you may have taken.

Like right now, with the increase in value, I could sell my DVC for more than the original price. So I could have had my cake and eat it too!

Just MHO, YMMV

Good luck with your decision!

CU@DL

Andy

I think it is well worth it, and there are just two people in our family, me and my husband. We bought in at the Boardwalk in 1998, so the prices were lower than they are now. CUatDL is right about getting a loan, so you can spread the payment out. Once you have the loan paid off, you wonít be paying large amounts out every year to go on vacation. We didnít finance ours, so we only pay the yearly dues. I canít remember the exact figure, but when we bought in I figured the price range of hotels we usually stay at in WDW, Disneyland and Disneyland Paris (Tokyo and Hong Kong were not part of DVC in 1998, but they are now) and I figured we would save a huge amount over the life of the time share if we continued to vacation the way we had been. We even ended up buying more points, because we felt we didnít have enough. We have used it at WDW, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, the Disney Cruise and a few years ago even stayed at the Plaza Hotel in NY.

CUatDL also had a good point about what type of hotels you usually stay at. The DVC properties are equivalent to moderate/deluxe hotels. If you only stay at the value resorts that are the cheapest, then this might be a little out of your price range, because when I did my calculating I compared the cost to the more moderate priced hotels.

You do get a better deal for your points staying at the Vacation Club hotels, which are only at WDW right now, but I have read that they are planning on building some sort of Vacation Club property out at Disneyland. I am not sure how 100% true that is, but I sure hope they do, so I can stay at Disneyland for less points.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

We just had our 1 year anniversary with DVC. We have really enjoyed our experience with it. It definitely isn't cheap, but for us it works. It helps us because we always wanted to go on vacations, but would never set aside the money to do it. Now, we pay into it a little bit at a time and are able to plan with points.
    <o>

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

My wife and I ALMOST did this until we found out baby was coming along. We think it is VERY worth it - and eventually plan to take advantage of this.

• xmanmom

We own a Vacation Ownership with Worldmark (not DVC, but similar) but the other nice thing about it is once you have paid it off you get to keep taking those vacations every year for the rest of your life with only maintence dues (like $400 a year) and you can will your points to your children, so it is sort of like buying a house.

Someday, once Worldmark is paid off, we might buy into DVC as well. We'll see.