Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Saturday Night Live: Is It Dead?

I have a question and the question is this: Is Saturday Night Live officially dead? There has not been one funny show ever since it's 32nd season started.

It was groundbreaking when it started, but now, to me, it's becoming tired.

• Minion

Re: Saturday Night Live: Is It Dead?

I might have to agree with you on that, but it depends on the audience and the cast members. Some might say that the generation that gave birth to the careers of Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Martin Short, Chevy Chase might be one of the funniest eras. My personal opinion, I like the era that had Dennis Miller, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Adam Sandler, Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, David Spade, Rob Schneider, Phil Hartman, and Chris Rock. The thing is, the above kinda set high standards for the new comedians just getting their start. There have only been a few, like Tracy Morgan or Will Ferrell, who have been able to break free and make it big. A lot of the newbies just haven't been able to live up to those standards.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

<sigh>

Sadly, I am getting nervous for the show. The last couple seasons have not been great- I didn't watch it very avidly before that although I have seen many reruns. So far this season has not been what I was hoping for either- although the last episode got a few LOL's out of us which is more than I can say for any other epsiode so far.

I still have hope. It is practically an American Institution and I just feel like something/one can save it. I hope.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Winter in Oceanside...

It is so sad that it has just been painful to watch over the last few years. I think some of the new cast members have potential, it is just that the writing has sucked. I hate to give up on it, but I think i already have.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I use to be a pretty big SNL fan, in fact I still watch it whenever I get around to it. Right now SNL is going through another transitional period, and with NBC cutting costs left and right, its not going as well as one would hope.

If you look at the history of SNL you'll notice it has a lot of low periods. The first years were great, but went vastly downhill once 1980 came along. Jean Doumanian took over as Exec. Producer and things really didn't get better. Sure, she cast Eddie Murphy and other talents but she didn't realize the potential they had. NBC made a good choice in letting her go and bringing in Dick Ebersol (who had been with SNL since almost the beginning.) Ebersol realized the talent that he had in front of him and took full advantage of it. SNL basically became the Eddie Murphy show, which may have pissed off cast members, but it brought in more viewers than the Doumanian era. But it wasn't ALL Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo (remember that guy?) and Billy Crystal were among the others to shine during that era. So at this point the show went from great to total crap to watchable. When Lorne Michaels returned in the late 80's, and brought in talents such as Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman and Chris Farley, the show was thriving again, as that cast thinned out another huge change was brought on bringing in Darrell Hammond, Cheri Oteri, Chris Kattan, and of course Will Ferrell, the show was better than ever! Now is one of those periods where some large changes need to be made. Tina Fey was a large part of SNL's later success as she was the head writer, but since her departure there are some growing pains. Give it time it will get better. And keep in mind that we grow fond of certain actors and when they leave the show seems emptier to us. Different generations appeal to different people. I think time will prove that the show will get better.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Banned User

used to love it, now its boring....
    In the day when gilda radner and chev chase, all the greats were there it was the best.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I have not watched SNL really since Jimmy Fallon (can't spell his last name) left. It wasn't becasue he was funny but becasue he would laugh... a real genuine laugh. For some reason that made the show good.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I have not watched SNL really since Jimmy Fallon (can't spell his last name) left. It wasn't becasue he was funny but becasue he would laugh... a real genuine laugh. For some reason that made the show good.
    Thats the reason I hated Jimmy Fallon on that show. If someone plays it straight for the most part and cracks up laughing, its hilarious! But Jimmy laughed during every freakin' skit. It got old fast.
    What an idiot....

• Shablagoo!

I haven't watched more than a few minutes in years. I watched it mostly in the late 80's and early nineties.

Blog Entries

True, he did laugh a bit too much. But you know when you are really tired and had a bit too much caffine, man everything is funny, even Jimmy Fallons laugh. (Stupid I know.)

But I did really enjoy the episode with Lindsey Lohan (sadly) and it was the WDW skit with Downer Debby.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    But I did really enjoy the episode with Lindsey Lohan (sadly) and it was the WDW skit with Downer Debby.
    That Debbie Downer skit was hilarious because the entire cast was laughing. When no one can keep a straight face, its hilarious.
    What an idiot....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    That Debbie Downer skit was hilarious because the entire cast was laughing. When no one can keep a straight face, its hilarious.
    Agreed. My parents (who have been hating SNL since the original cast left.) were saying that was the best in a long time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I wish there was a DVD compilation of the best SNL bloopers and crack ups. My husband and I have talked about that for years. I love the bloopers and when they crack up- it's the best.

My favorite one ever was one with Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch when they were doing their "lovah" skit. They were in a hot tub with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore and NO ONE could stop laughing. I have it recorded on my DVR and I watch it all the time.

Another skit I have on the DVR is the Cow Bell one. Classic.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

•   
    • Senior Minion

It still exists????

I think NBC should just cancel SNL. it hasn't been funny for a long time and personally I think Mad T.V. is way much better. NBC should just do us a favor and just find something else to replace that time slot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast