• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Question Captain Hook, the Original Jack Sparrow????

The following comes from a Buena Vista Home Entertainment press release touting upcoming Disney DVD releases. The bold text was done by me.

3/6 PETER PAN: Platinum Edition (Rated: G)

Walt Disney’s original classic Peter Pan, filled with fantasy and the original Pixie Dust, defines the meaning of magic and teaches us to believe, making it the essence and fabric of the Disney brand. Peter Pan soars to new heights for the first time ever in a 2-disc Platinum Edition DVD. This classic film has undergone an extensive digital restoration and features a new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix. Join the Darling children – Wendy, John and Michael as they fly with Peter Pan and Tinker Bell past the second star to the right and straight on ‘till morning to the enchanted world of Never Land. Their exciting adventures introduce them to unforgettable characters including The Lost Boys, Captain Hook (the Original Jack Sparrow) and his ship filled with swashbuckling pirates, and “Tic Toc” Croc. Walt Disney’s Peter Pan Platinum Edition 2-disc DVD is filled with high-flying bonus features for all ages including “Camp Never Land” - explore the world of Never Land with three all-new multi-level games, a never-before-seen alternate opening beginning in Never Land instead of the Darling’s home, a deleted song, “In Walt’s Words” – A new discovery! Walt Disney reveals in his own words “Why I made Peter Pan”, “You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan” an exciting journey to discover how the film was made, a sneak peek at the all-new Tinker Bell movie, and much more.
    While I'm glad Peter Pan is getting the platinum treatment, I thought the Hook/Jack Sparrow comparison was a bit of a stretch. Aside from the pirate thing, they couldn't be further apart character-wise. I'd even go so far to say that comparing the two is an insult to Jack Sparrow, who is such a unique and original character. Don't get me wrong--I love Captain Hook. He's just more firmly rooted in the old school Hollywood (and Disney) version of what a pirate captain should be.

What are your thoughts? Is the comparison valid? Or is this just a cheesy marketing ploy by Disney to make Peter Pan more relevant to modern audiences?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Captain Hook, the Original Jack Sparrow????

I noticed that in the press too, and I simply wrote it off as a less than clever piece of cross-promotion.

The comparison is, of course, a stretch. One is a villain after all and designed to be hated, but amusing at the same time. Jack Sparrow, on the other hand, is your loveable anti-hero. A rogue with a heart of gold and all that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Treasure Island re-release* is on the way, billed as "Long John Silver - The ORIGINAL Jack Sparrow Before Captain Hook Became Original".

*Indeed, this NEEDS a re-release. The barebones disc out now hardly does Disney's FIRST FULL-LENGTH LIVE ACTION FEATURE (the previous live action films being a combination of live action and animation) justice. With pirate mania overtaking Disney, and just about everybody else, I can really see it taking off.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

just a cheep way to promote the movie. i love jack sparrow, he's better thatn captian hook! (but thats only because i don't really like peter- pan,and i really don't like tinker bell she's such a bitch!)
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Senior Minion

I'm happy as well that Peter Pan is going Platinum. But I can only imagine a bunch of suits deciding a cheesy marketing ploy easily, just to appease the masses.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    I'm happy as well that Peter Pan is going Platinum. But I can only imagine a bunch of suits deciding a cheesy marketing ploy easily, just to appease the masses.
    I see it as that, but I really like how the movies are re-released every couple of years. It's a DVD world, but once upon a time the films were re-released into the theaters and that is what this schedule mocks. This really helps to keep the characters new. With the brand being blanded with sequels and such the re-releases at least help with the original films.

Although Toy Stoy 1 & 2 were only in the vault for a short period of time (3 years) they were released last december and the THREE-year-old boys are even MORE nuts for them. Ariel is the new character this fall and it makes it easier for those kids (who often change their mind with time about their favorite characters) to get something they like. The same goes with Cars characters for boys and some girls as well.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I see it as that, but I really like how the movies are re-released every couple of years. It's a DVD world, but once upon a time the films were re-released into the theaters and that is what this schedule mocks. This really helps to keep the characters new. With the brand being blanded with sequels and such the re-releases at least help with the original films.

Although Toy Stoy 1 & 2 were only in the vault for a short period of time (3 years) they were released last december and the THREE-year-old boys are even MORE nuts for them. Ariel is the new character this fall and it makes it easier for those kids (who often change their mind with time about their favorite characters) to get something they like. The same goes with Cars characters for boys and some girls as well.
    Yea, I remember the 10 year release schedule. I just don't care for the current practices of business that Disney continues to follow. Peter Pan ties in well with the strung out Pirate theming.
    The most positive thing out of this is the release of Peter Pan on DVD. I really hope that this is worthwhile.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.