Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Last time i checked...that is not possible. And why do we have to put gay/lesbian couples on our kids cartoons to teach tolerance?? To me, that is not trying to tech tolerance, just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own.
    I have an example of this on a different level that may help you understand how PBS preschool shows can teach tolerance and acceptance without having it be very in your face. However, the topics these shows choose to include as lessons for preschoolers obviously have enough of a need that there are some issues built into shows that you don't ever really notice.

Sesame Street is one of the most popular children's shows in television history. The show began with tolerance as a subtle theme from the beginning. Sesame Street is about as clse to teaching diversity, and in turn tolerance and acceptance, as any I have seen, but they do it with grace, without hitting the kids over the head with the issue. Showing children the diverse nature of the world we live in is a simple lesson that Sesame Street teaches.

One of the most popular characters on Sesame Street these days is Elmo. So much so that Sesame Street has a dedicated portion of each show to "Elmo's World". Each episode of Elmo's World centers around a different theme - balls, dancing, singing, animals at the farm, etc. During one of the segments in the show within the show, children will demonstrate, let's say dancing, to Elmo's pet goldfish Dorothy. The kids who dance for Dorothy are all different from one another, with there even being a child in a wheelchair dancing. The final child in the scene is a baby who dances with Elmo.

This is a prime example of how a show can teach diversity, tolerance, accpetance, without having it be a blaring message. Is this wrong? Should Sesame Street be pulled off the air because they show different races interacting with one another, which could possibly be seen as the show:

...just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own.
    I think it is just a way of easing our kids into a world that is already diverse. If there is an acceptance of diversity, then tolerance can also be implied.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    One of the most popular characters on Sesame Street these days is Elmo. So much so that Sesame Street has a dedicated portion of each show to "Elmo's World". Each episode of Elmo's World centers around a different theme - balls,
    Excuse me? Do they talk about twangers too?
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• It's all nonsense

Thank you mamabot...it's like you read my mind and wrote it out in a very well thought out and elegant way.

I aplogize if i made anyone upset...those weren't my intentions.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Not a problem at all. This is a subject very near and dear to my heart. My goal as a parent is to teach my kids, who are growing up in a very diverse area, that people are people, no matter what they look like on the outside, or how they live their lives.

The only intolerance taught in our house is Barney. We do not tolerate barney in any way shape or form in our home. The kids have known it as long as they have been talking. Barney is the :devil:

They know about our sports rivalries too, which can be seen as intolerant in many ways.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Quote Originally Posted by KoH
    Why should we need to teach our children tolerance. Why should anyone be tolerated. The adults have created the prejudice and then they expect the kids to be respectful. Children are not born knowing why being a lesbiqn is bad, why minorities are sub-human, why polacs are dumb and all th other stupid prejudices. We teach our children that. What we need to do is make parents smarter.
    How true, how true. But in order to combat intolerance today, we have to teach tolerance - until such time that there is no longer ANY intolerance in the world.

I can't believe that in this day and age some people still can't see past color or race or religion or sexual preference when dealing with people.

Regardless of anything else, people are still people. Human. Flesh and blood. We all live on the same ball of dirt so let's stop trying to kick others off just because they're a little different and let's all get along!
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• I hate Mondays

Last time i checked...that is not possible. And why do we have to put gay/lesbian couples on our kids cartoons to teach tolerance?? To me, that is not trying to tech tolerance, just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers...i have nothing against the alternative lifestyle. i just don't think it's right to try and force someone to accept something. You can tell me the sky is purple all you want...doesn't mean i have to believe it.

/ducks to avoid the flames.
    Wtf? What do you mean, not possible? Sure, one of them will not be the bio-parent, but the last time I checked, being a parent involved a hell of a lot more than a sperm donation. There are lots of sperm and egg donors out there that are worthless as parents, and there are a lot of adoptive parents stepping in and making very real families with kids that are not their biological offspring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12