Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Eisner

• Banned User

Question Michael Eisner

Hi, Im a fairly new fan of the Disney Empior. This past year I've been catching up on my history of Disney.

Can you or someone help me?
    I want to know why most people hate or dislike Michael Eisner? What did he do that was bad to the Disney Empior?

Thank you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Michael Eisner

He upset the shareholders in many ways from what I understand.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielacero View Post
    Hi, Im a fairly new fan of the Disney Empior. This past year I've been catching up on my history of Disney.

Can you or someone help me?
    I want to know why most people hate or dislike Michael Eisner? What did he do that was bad to the Disney Empior?

Thank you.
    Empire? Emperor?

The dislike of Michael Eisner... I guess it all started when he first got hired on and was cast to host The Magical World of Disney on ABC. People have a fondness of Walt and the image he projected... Eisner was a business man, not a benevolent rich uncle who has a host of goodies for everyone...

This casting created a parrallel between Eisner and Walt... I think it was a common theme throughout Eisner's carrer of wanting to be Walt - even an admission of wanting to change his name to Disney at the end of his teniure at CEO. This is when everyone saw what an ego maniac the man was...

In every interview since he had a way of putting his foot in his mouth... Of course shareholders looked the other way because of his achievement of double digit growth for several years running.

Then one day Frank Wells (the number two guy who had operational control of the company) passed away, and it set a chain reaction of power mongering and decipt the likes of which the world has seldom seen.

The power mongering created a corporate culture, that I believe was contrary to the "Disney Way." Instead of promoting quality products at affordable prices, Disney became about promoting cut rate products at premium prices in order to "harvest the brand."

Eisner had a way of issolating and alienating the most creative executives under him, and having them run away... Katzenberg being the biggist debacle... With it created some of Disney's most formitable competition, DreamWorks.

Movies that where singles and doubles at the box office where valued over pretige films... Cheap-quels became the way to harvest a franchise cash cow... Mickey Mouse was used to sell mundane products like paper towels... Disney parks where underfunded and missmanaged to produce positive financial metrics over happy guests.

But I think what tore the heart out of many Disney Fans is what happened to feature animation... Tratitional Hand drawn Feature Animation was run into the ground, from direct to video sequels to cut rate, cut budget poorly written ill concieved features... Eventually Eisner decided to kill traditional animation all together in favor of 3D CG Animation when Pixar was considered the leader in the field and a partner with Disney.

For this and many other issues Eisner had a fight with Roy Disney... I don't know if anyone could say Roy won that fight, Eisner was allowed to dictated many of the terms of his own departure...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Did George Mitchell leave yet? I remember he was said to no good on the Disney Board either.

• Knight of Naughtyness

May I suggest Disney War by James Stewart? It is a very good look at what was going on in the Disney Empire.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Am I the only one confused why this is under Al Lutz's section? LOL

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Disney War, and take a look at Roy Disney's resignation letter.

cellhound nailed a few of the points. After Wells died, the reign
    of terror by evil emperor eisner had begun. The bridges that were
    built with Lucas (Star Tours) and Speilberg (Roger Rabbit) and even
    Henson (Muppet purchase), Katzenberg (who worked at Disney), and
    even stretching to Eisners latter days Pixar Studios, ALL became a
    BIG part of the Disney, but somehow Eisner alienated himself, and
    unfortunately the entire Disney company from all of these creative
    geniuses.

As soon as Iger started taking the lead, some of those relationships
    started healing. Eisner had been at odds with Pixar a few times, and
    was widely publicized, most recently, it appeared that Disney and Pixar
    would go there own separate ways. When Iger step into the picture,
    a miraculous healing between both companies occured.

Eisner's Go.com debacle is also a sore spot, and the purchase of the Family channel is also another sore spot. Eisner did see the built up,
    and even overexposure of Disney with several other ventures. The
    Disney Stores were a bright spot, until they grew rapidly out of control,
    then tried to expand with Disney Gallery and even Club Disney~ AND THEN one major fault came through ~ that of removing quality. They overexposed themselves beyond demand, reduced that variety of merchandise in the stores, brought in cheaper quality, eliminating nearly
    all the collectibles merchandise.

The expansion of this lack of quality was also highly shown in the
    update to Tomorrowland in the '98. And shortly after, the new Anaheim Park ~ California Adventure ~ was also plagued by the low quality,
    "build on the cheap" and may I add "maintain on the cheap" policy.

Without anyone overseeing Eisner, Disney fell into dismay, animation and
    imagineering were both practically defunct as Eisner "planned" his own departure, leaving all the problems he built and burned and claimed as profits during his tenure, (rather than reinvesting quality to ensure Disney's future) for the next CEO. Eisner really left a craphole to climb out of for Iger.

• Banned User

thanks for that explaination. So I suppose now Igr is putting things back on track? How and why was he elected as CEO in the first place? How come Roy never took over?

Roy is very old, maybe thats why?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Also as part of Eisner's reign, the company got into even more areas they were proven to know nothing about...such as the buying, running, and even creating of pro sports franchises, like the Angels and Mighty Ducks.

For me, the only bad part about seeing my Angels finally win a World Series was seeing Eisner there to accept the trophy...while the company had the team up for sale, no less! And we now gotten past the point of seeing Tinkerbelle wave her wand when the "Ducks" score a goal...

One good part of the Disney baseball legacy...the remodeling of the once-again baseball friendly stadium...which I believe the company spent more than 100 million dollars on.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    Am I the only one confused why this is under Al Lutz's section? LOL
    No - I was and continue to be confused by this....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    No - I was and continue to be confused by this....
    To the both of you; who cares!

move the thread if it bothers you that much. shezzzzz!

move on if your confused!

I was going to reply to this thread but I started writting a text/novel about it so I strongly suggest you read, "Disney War!"

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

so are they ever going to do hand drawn animation anymore? it's not that i don't like pixar, which i do a lot, but i would love to see the type of animation that was the foundation to the disney company!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    so are they ever going to do hand drawn animation anymore? it's not that i don't like pixar, which i do a lot, but i would love to see the type of animation that was the foundation to the disney company!

I believe I read somewhere here on MC that they were going to bring it back with a film whos main character is an African American princess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast